ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Royncl
Newly Registered

Claiming Child benefits

Post by Royncl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

I am claiming child benefit by my ILR for my kid who is British citizen, Child benefit only not any other public funds else. My wife, who is on spouse visa, will not have income come from next month and possibly she will get a job next year. I was told that I should not claim public fund if my wife doesnt have any income. Her ILR can be refused otherwise.

My question is, her family gives her money (more than 1000 pounds/month)and we have the proof of transactions. Can I just keep claiming child benefits or I should stop it till my wife gets a job? the SET (M) does ask this question.

thanks a lot

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 pm

I was told that I should not claim public fund if my wife doesnt have any income. Her ILR can be refused otherwise.
Who on earth told you that rubbish?

There is no need to stop any benefits. One of you is entitled to claim Child Benefit, and the two of you jointly can claim Tax Credits.
John

Royncl
Newly Registered

Post by Royncl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:36 pm

John wrote:
I was told that I should not claim public fund if my wife doesnt have any income. Her ILR can be refused otherwise.

There is no need to stop any benefits. One of you is entitled to claim Child Benefit, and the two of you jointly can claim Tax Credits.
thank you so much John for your swift reply. I have checked the SET (M) and wonder why this form asked if the applicant's partner is receiving any public funds. Any thoughts?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Royncl wrote:
John wrote:

thank you so much John for your swift reply. I have checked the SET (M) and wonder why this form asked if the applicant's partner is receiving any public funds. Any thoughts?
Because they want to know if the settled partner is receiving additional public funds due to the applicant's presence in the UK. However as John has advised you can claim child benefit and can make a joint claim for Tax Credits.

Please read the following guidance

Public Funds Guidance

Royncl
Newly Registered

Post by Royncl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks Greenie for your help. really appreciate.
I read from the guidance you provided:

A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds that they are entitled to.
Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control then for tax credits purposes neither are treated as being subject to immigration control.
If a person is subject to immigration control and lives with a family member who is a British citizen or a national of a country in the European economic area (EEA) they can claim certain public funds if they have a right to reside in the UK.

the funny thing is that I called UKBA three times today (08450105200) and I got three different answers:
1, We don't provide general information, you should call......
2, No problem, if Inland revenue considers you are qualified so there wont be any effects on your citizenship or your wife's ILR application
3, Can affact your wife's IRL but it is case by case situation, we cannot confirm till you apply.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Royncl wrote:Thanks Greenie for your help. really appreciate.
I read from the guidance you provided:

A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds that they are entitled to.
Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control then for tax credits purposes neither are treated as being subject to immigration control.
If a person is subject to immigration control and lives with a family member who is a British citizen or a national of a country in the European economic area (EEA) they can claim certain public funds if they have a right to reside in the UK.

the funny thing is that I called UKBA three times today (08450105200) and I got three different answers:
1, We don't provide general information, you should call......
2, No problem, if Inland revenue considers you are qualified so there wont be any effects on your citizenship or your wife's ILR application
3, Can affact your wife's IRL but it is case by case situation, we cannot confirm till you apply.
The written guidance is what the immigration officer will follow.

Don't listen to what the people at the other end of the phone at the UKBA say. they are not the decision makers and they don't know what they are talking about which you can see from the fact that you have been given different information from different people.

What they want to see is that you are not heavily dependent on benefits and that you are not claiming additional benefits because of your wife. If you are only claiming CB and CTCs then you will not have any problem.

Royncl
Newly Registered

Post by Royncl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks so much again Greenie.