ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Successful Tier 1 (Gen Category) - experience sharing

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

veedal1234

Successful Tier 1 (Gen Category) - experience sharing

Post by veedal1234 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 pm

All

I received my Tier 1 approval today. My details are as below

Changing from Work Permit (Work permit due to expire in Sep 2012)

Date of Application Feb 01 2011
Date Posted Feb 02 2011
Date Ack received Feb 15 2011 (dated Feb 08 2011)
Date Biometrics letter received Feb 12 2011
Date Biometrics registered (Poplar Post office) Feb 14 2011
Date Passport and approval letter received March 03 2011 (letter dated March 02 2011)

I got all the points that I claimed for i.e.

35 for post grad qualification (PGDM from IIM)
45 for earnings (used salary slips and bank statements - these need to match exactly. I submitted all originals )
5 for age
5 for UK work experience

A few points to remember (if it helps)

1. Be meticulous with your cover letter. They read the letter very carefully. I put every document in an envelope, numbered the envelope and then cross referenced that number on the covering letter. I think they appreciate it if you make life easier for them.

2. If you are sending a duplicate for something, make sure you mention it in the covering letter. I had lost one of my bank statements for one month and sent in a duplicate which was stamped by the bank. I said that in the covering letter and also specifically told them that the stamp by the bank was on the bottom right hand side of the page - just so that they did not have to look for it.

3. I personally think postal orders are the best way to pay because there is no risk of any payments being refused (like cards). It is also immediate and it shaves days off the timeline.

4. If you're not comfortable with the English, it may make sense for you to get someone else to proof read the covering letter to cut out any grammatical errors and make the letter perfect.

5. Even though my IIM degree appeared on the PBS, I took the precaution of sending a NARIC letter for it. It also makes sense to attach the pdf version of the self assessment that you do on the UKBA site (just to ensure that if they enter your qualification wrongly, they have something to refer back to and check). I have seen cases on this forum where the caseworker has been unable to see a qualification on the PBS even though it exists. This step prevents such an eventuality and may save you some heartache.

6. I also had some luck because my company was very helpful with all the documentation - that always helps.

Happy to answer any questions - please feel free to pm me.

Regards

vik_mad

Re: Successful Tier 1 (Gen Category) - experience sharing

Post by vik_mad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm

veedal1234 wrote:All

Date Posted Feb 02 2011
Date Passport and approval letter received March 03 2011 (letter dated March 02 2011)

45 for earnings (used salary slips and bank statements - these need to match exactly. I submitted all originals )
5 for age
5 for UK work experience

1. Be meticulous with your cover letter. They read the letter very carefully. I put every document in an envelope, numbered the envelope and then cross referenced that number on the covering letter. I think they appreciate it if you make life easier for them.

2. If you are sending a duplicate for something, make sure you mention it in the covering letter. I had lost one of my bank statements for one month and sent in a duplicate which was stamped by the bank. I said that in the covering letter and also specifically told them that the stamp by the bank was on the bottom right hand side of the page - just so that they did not have to look for it.

3. I personally think postal orders are the best way to pay because there is no risk of any payments being refused (like cards). It is also immediate and it shaves days off the timeline.

4. If you're not comfortable with the English, it may make sense for you to get someone else to proof read the covering letter to cut out any grammatical errors and make the letter perfect.

5. Even though my IIM degree appeared on the PBS, I took the precaution of sending a NARIC letter for it. It also makes sense to attach the pdf version of the self assessment that you do on the UKBA site (just to ensure that if they enter your qualification wrongly, they have something to refer back to and check). I have seen cases on this forum where the caseworker has been unable to see a qualification on the PBS even though it exists. This step prevents such an eventuality and may save you some heartache.

6. I also had some luck because my company was very helpful with all the documentation - that always helps.

Regards
Hi v,

Congrats!!! can you please confirm if you have used the same covering letter posted by Sticky? if you have used some other template would you mind sharing it?

Thanks,
v

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:13 pm

No I used my own template - will post it here tomorrow after removing all personal references

ken123
Newly Registered

Need some point to be clear

Post by ken123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi
Thanks for post and congradulate for success in visa.
I just would like to ask, i have PGDC from Uk recognizi uni by 2009, may i get 30 points online calc give me 30 points anyway.
Please can you give me some point which have tobe mention on covering letter.
What doc should i send, i have combination of wage slips and self employment and i'm going on window 3rd week of this month.
AND PLEASE TELL ME ANY SPECIAL PRECOUTIONS FOR IN PERSON.

Thanks in advance

veedal1234

Re: Need some point to be clear

Post by veedal1234 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:03 pm

ken123 wrote:Hi
Thanks for post and congradulate for success in visa.
I just would like to ask, i have PGDC from Uk recognizi uni by 2009, may i get 30 points online calc give me 30 points anyway.
Please can you give me some point which have tobe mention on covering letter.
What doc should i send, i have combination of wage slips and self employment and i'm going on window 3rd week of this month.
AND PLEASE TELL ME ANY SPECIAL PRECOUTIONS FOR IN PERSON.

Thanks in advance
I can't tell you if you will get the points. All I can tell you is this - if the online calc gives you 30 points then take a printout of it and take it with you on the day. That way if the officer checks and says that he cannot give you 30 points, you have somethig to refer back to.

The other things are basic - keep your documentation highly organized / number it and label it so that you don't fumble for stuff when the officer asks you for documentation

workseeker
Newly Registered

Post by workseeker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi veedal1234,

It's always good to see some positive posting on the forum, congratulations. I have few questions from your post. I am switching from workpermit to Tier 1, same as you.

From the information in the post, it appears that you are over 35 and earnings are more than 75,000 PA. My question is that, is your earning are total gross from Salary? I am sure you might have company car allowance, on which you will be paying tax and is there any bonus or overtime you have on your payslips? If you have a company car, how did you show your travel expenses? is it again in the payslip?

My total earnings I am claiming are different types, eventhough its from same employer. Car allowance, bonus and overtime. I am not sure how HomeOffice will treat this kind of applications.

Much appreciated if you can feed as much infromation as you can.

Many Thanks

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm

workseeker wrote:Hi Vik_mad,

It's always good to see some positive posting on the forum, congratulations. I have few questions from your post. I am switching from workpermit to Tier 1, same as you.

From the information in the post, it appears that you are over 35 and earnings are more than 75,000 PA. My question is that, is your earning are total gross from Salary? I am sure you might have company car allowance, on which you will be paying tax and is there any bonus or overtime you have on your payslips? If you have a company car, how did you show your travel expenses? is it again in the payslip?

My total earnings I am claiming are different types, eventhough its from same employer. Car allowance, bonus and overtime. I am not sure how HomeOffice will treat this kind of applications.

Many Thanks

Workseeker

I am a banker and yes, I get a car allowance. However I do not drive (don't have a British license). I am therefore allowed to claim my car allowance as Cash and I pay tax on it.

Yes I have a bonus (as most bankers do) and it is included on my payslip. I pay tax on it. I am a director and hence am not entitled to any overtime.

I think a general rule of thumb is to include all earnings for which you have indisputable documentation, can be referenced to the period under consideration and for which you pay tax.

I am not a tax expert but I fear that will exclude allowances and mileage etc (but you may want to speak to UKBA or an immigration expert to get the full picture)

Regards
Veedal

MPI

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

workseeker wrote:Hi veedal1234,

Many Thanks
allowances , bonuses etc count towards your salary if they are part of the package and they are taxed. you can find the details here :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixa/

MPI

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

congrats !

I agree with everyone that this is one postive post and very useful. However I think if one had a straighforward case with all min requirements met , there would be no need to provide extra stuff or you risk a headache for the caseworker for too much documentation.

My experience when I applied for Tier 1 was , I had very simple cover letter max 2 paragraphs just bullet points about what's inside.I didn't send extra stuff .

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:39 pm

MPI wrote:congrats !

I agree with everyone that this is one postive post and very useful. However I think if one had a straighforward case with all min requirements met , there would be no need to provide extra stuff or you risk a headache for the caseworker for too much documentation.

My experience when I applied for Tier 1 was , I had very simple cover letter max 2 paragraphs just bullet points about what's inside.I didn't send extra stuff .
I would say that's correct in normal circumstances. I have seen a couple of other posts here where the caseworker has not recognized a qualification even though it appears on the points database. Which is why I said that extra proof does not harm (emphasis on 'does no harm')

If you have extra proof, I think you should send it. If you can be extra meticulous, I think you should do it. It may not be needed, but it does not harm you - it gives you extra peace of mind. Extra proof which reinforces a points claim is always a good thing IMHO

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:16 pm

congrats ,
I had 1 clarification to be made.you completed your PGDM IIM in regular course i.e BE4 U WERE sent to uk?or did you do it online?

cheers

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 pm

bash wrote:congrats ,
I had 1 clarification to be made.you completed your PGDM IIM in regular course i.e BE4 U WERE sent to uk?or did you do it online?

cheers
Regular course - IIM does not have any online courses

akash08

Post by akash08 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 am

Regards
I never wrote a cover letter !!!

aaa123
BANNED

Post by aaa123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Date Posted Feb 02 2011

5 for age
5 for UK work experience

Regards
which industry u work in btw...

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

Banking

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 am

For queries unrelated to the forum / subject topic, please use PM.

regards

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry but where does it say that they read the cover letter very meticulously?

The cover letter is only useful if there is stuff that may be confusing. For my last extension, I did not send any cover letter, just the form, payslips and bank statement - all of which were enough.

As for the additional documentation, again, it is only needed if there is any confusion with your documentation, otherwise all it does is increase the weight of your application and possibly add a few pence to your cost of postage.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 pm

cheshiregoan wrote:Sorry but where does it say that they read the cover letter very meticulously?

The cover letter is only useful if there is stuff that may be confusing. For my last extension, I did not send any cover letter, just the form, payslips and bank statement - all of which were enough.

As for the additional documentation, again, it is only needed if there is any confusion with your documentation, otherwise all it does is increase the weight of your application and possibly add a few pence to your cost of postage.
It clearly does not say that anywhere. Please read my messages again - I have said that these are my impressions - you are not compelled to follow them.

itsvinodin
Newly Registered

Post by itsvinodin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 am

Hi ,
Thanks for the information.
I have a question regarding the bank statement.

I am submitting my 2 bank statements (7 months in India, 5 months in UK) as proof of my earnings,

My statement looks as follows:

01-MAR-2010 to 07-AUG-2010 (INDIA)
...(missing 8 days here in the statement)
15-AUG-2010 to 31-AUG-2010 (INDIA)

31-AUG-2010 TO 01-MAR-2011 (UK)

However no earnings were made in that missing days. Whatever i am claiming towards my earnings for Aug 2010, i have them visible in the statement clearly in the last few days on Aug 2010.

Would that cause any issues.. Can you advise pls.

thanks,
V

veedal1234

Post by veedal1234 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:51 am

itsvinodin wrote:Hi ,
Thanks for the information.
I have a question regarding the bank statement.

I am submitting my 2 bank statements (7 months in India, 5 months in UK) as proof of my earnings,

My statement looks as follows:

01-MAR-2010 to 07-AUG-2010 (INDIA)
15-AUG-2010 to 31-AUG-2010 (INDIA)

31-AUG-2010 TO 01-MAR-2011 (UK)

However no earnings were made in that missing days. Whatever i am claiming towards my earnings for Aug 2010, i have them visible in the statement clearly in the last few days on Aug 2010.

Would that cause any issues.. Can you advise pls.

thanks,
V

In my opinion no (but maybe senior contributors can help) - the requirement is to show whatever earnings you have in any 12 month period over the last 15 months

Why is there a gap in your statements ? Is it because you did not earn anything in that period ? Why not just ask your bank to give you a complete statement for August ? That will give you some peace of mind and it should not be too difficult

itsvinodin
Newly Registered

Post by itsvinodin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:24 am

thanks for your reply.

01-MAR-2010 to 07-AUG-2010 (INDIA) - I got this statement from my bank and used it whilst i apply for my Tier 2 visa.

15-AUG-2010 to 15-SEP-2010 (INDIA) - I got this postal stmt delivered to my address from the bank.

. I can request for a complete statement for the duration, but it might take a while as it should come from India.

I can very much show the earnings for consecutive 12 months in the statements though i am missing a week transaction in the statement.

If no other option, then i will have to arrange for a statement from India.