ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:36 pm

"
Asked whether the post-study work route should be abolished, Mr Willetts said it was a feature of UK higher education and part of the "fuzzy boundary".

"It is a feature, but there may be ways in which we can tighten it up or make sure that it's not abused or not becoming a route to settlement," he said.

"There are a whole range of options between complete closure of the route and the status quo.

"There are certainly universities that tell us very clearly that if they were completely to lose the post-study work option that would put them at a disadvantage."

"
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/legal-an ... 387610.htm

I don't understand Mr. Willetts concern for route to settlement??

PSW is a temporary visa for 2 years and is not counted towards settlement, you can't switch into Tier1(General) because its closed!

How on earth it can become route to settlement is beyond my comprehension!!!
Any :idea:

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:00 pm

tall_funky wrote:"
Asked whether the post-study work route should be abolished, Mr Willetts said it was a feature of UK higher education and part of the "fuzzy boundary".

"It is a feature, but there may be ways in which we can tighten it up or make sure that it's not abused or not becoming a route to settlement," he said.

"There are a whole range of options between complete closure of the route and the status quo.

"There are certainly universities that tell us very clearly that if they were completely to lose the post-study work option that would put them at a disadvantage."

"

PSW is a temporary visa for 2 years and is not counted towards settlement, you can't switch into Tier1(General) because its closed!

Well, it can be add up if your intentions are to gain long residence 10 years. But my only question is how on earth student will produce rest of eight years?

Yep with the help of home office, who is generous enough to give extension to any one on any thing but always dubious on legit courses and legit routes.
N/A

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I really dnt understnd why they wrry too much abut settlmnt on basis of PSW
ther are so many other routes....aslyum, unskilled people cming frm Europe.

Why wuld on earth they just get behind International student...bcz they culd only play with us...

If let suppose...in any condition a international student got permanent here...dnt you thnk who much revenue he will brng plus the skilled.

wht abut people cming frm Bolgeria, romina, Poland, Hungry... they straight way come and claim benifts evn thy are not skilled.

If ths govrnmt really want to controll Immgrtion ...thn shuld strt thnking abut these issues instead of wasting their time fr PSW.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

"

you can switch from psw to tier 2, can't you? tier 2 can lead to settlement. i think they're going to change that...but as of now it is still possible, is it not?

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

jlewisunh wrote:

"

you can switch from psw to tier 2, can't you? tier 2 can lead to settlement. i think they're going to change that...but as of now it is still possible, is it not?
Yeah but makes no sense if they don't allow you to switch to tier 2, cause technically if u cover having a sponsor and the maintenance funds and the other requisites why wouldn't u be allowed? Plus you are in a high skilled position contributing to the economy... I think changes to PSW will probably be done on any of what the Migration Advisory Committee, maybe undergrads will only have 1 year PSW but if you do a Masters 2? Im just speculating so dont bash me lol,

What I still think is that the new rules will take ages to be applied cause according to the latest news of the UKBA these rules go under parliamentary scrutiny, that is why if u check UKBA s website even the proposed higher fees for visa applications need to go through that... Would be a surprise if these changes do occur in april

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Yea they're hell bent on keeping psw 2 years with very little room for settlement, which of course makes no sense. They need to focus on the illegals and the people leeching off the state instead of those with graduate level degrees and jobs who contribute to the economy. In fact, the main reason I chose to do an MA was for psw with the option to transfer to tier 2. Now, it's gonna be very, very hard, because if your company doesn't have a cos, they have to prove they need it, which is difficult from what I have read.

Does anyone actually know how that works? If my company says they'll sponsor me and they apply for a cos, is it at the discretion of the government to say yes or no? Can they simply decide 'no, this person doesn't need to stay at your company because his position can be filled by a British citizen'? Or do they just grant the cos if the company and employee meet certain criteria?

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:09 pm

[quote="jlewisunh"]Yea they're hell bent on keeping psw 2 years with very little room for settlement, which of course makes no sense. They need to focus on the illegals and the people leeching off the state instead of those with graduate level degrees and jobs who contribute to the economy. In fact, the main reason I chose to do an MA was for psw with the option to transfer to tier 2. Now, it's gonna be very, very hard, because if your company doesn't have a cos, they have to prove they need it, which is difficult from what I have read.

Does anyone actually know how that works? If my company says they'll sponsor me and they apply for a cos, is it at the discretion of the government to say yes or no? Can they simply decide 'no, this person doesn't need to stay at your company because his position can be filled by a British citizen'? Or do they just grant the cos if the company and employee meet certain criteria?[/quote]

If a company says they will give u a sponsorship then you are fine cause it means that they did the resident labour market test, so u should be fine, plus applicants for tier 2 within the UK are not submitted to the cap on economic migrants

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm

tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:Yea they're hell bent on keeping psw 2 years with very little room for settlement, which of course makes no sense. They need to focus on the illegals and the people leeching off the state instead of those with graduate level degrees and jobs who contribute to the economy. In fact, the main reason I chose to do an MA was for psw with the option to transfer to tier 2. Now, it's gonna be very, very hard, because if your company doesn't have a cos, they have to prove they need it, which is difficult from what I have read.

Does anyone actually know how that works? If my company says they'll sponsor me and they apply for a cos, is it at the discretion of the government to say yes or no? Can they simply decide 'no, this person doesn't need to stay at your company because his position can be filled by a British citizen'? Or do they just grant the cos if the company and employee meet certain criteria?
If a company says they will give u a sponsorship then you are fine cause it means that they did the resident labour market test, so u should be fine, plus applicants for tier 2 within the UK are not submitted to the cap on economic migrants
So as of now, if I go to the UK in April and get a job on psw, eventually I can switch to tier 2 and the company does not have to do the labor market test? Correct? I realize they could change it in the future, but I mean as it stands now...

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I guess this whole argument of settlement is a "Bogus" one.
Perhaps, Govt. is concentrating too much on "Bogus" colleges :roll:

TBH, In this day and age, Govt. must concentrate on economy instead of playing politics!!!
Not a single set of data confirm's what Govt. is saying about PSW and I think they have lost all the argument's based on moral as well as legal grounds :)

All in all, I think it will be very hard for the Govt. to scarp PSW but you never know!!!!!

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

tall_funky wrote:I guess this whole argument of settlement is a "Bogus" one.

TBH, In this day and age, Govt. must concentrate on economy instead of playing politics!!!
Not a single set of data confirm's what Govt. is saying about PSW and I think they have lost all the argument's based on moral as well as legal grounds :)

All in all, I think it will be very hard for the Govt. to scarp PSW but you never know!!!!!
To be honest we are not alone nor that misrepresented, today there was a regular session of questions to the Home State department and its different ministers... Nothing that relevant was said, but in one of the questions, one of the MPs asked if the government were taking into consideration the views of Universities and Damian Green said that yeah they are and that Theresa May just had a few meetings with University Vice Chancellors... The thing is the government is really sneaky and you can see them changing the whole discourse, first it was reducing student immigration and students as a source of unsustainable immigration... but now that they are losing they just say they are targeting bogus students and what the Vice Chancellors said in the letter to the observer was pure speculation lol But it wasnt speculation, it was a reaction to their terrible proposals

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 pm

tusso wrote:
tall_funky wrote:I guess this whole argument of settlement is a "Bogus" one.

To be honest we are not alone nor that misrepresented, today there was a regular session of questions to the Home State department and its different ministers... Nothing that relevant was said, but in one of the questions, one of the MPs asked if the government were taking into consideration the views of Universities and Damian Green said that yeah they are and that Theresa May just had a few meetings with University Vice Chancellors... The thing is the government is really sneaky and you can see them changing the whole discourse, first it was reducing student immigration and students as a source of unsustainable immigration... but now that they are losing they just say they are targeting bogus students and what the Vice Chancellors said in the letter to the observer was pure speculation lol But it wasnt speculation, it was a reaction to their terrible proposals

Yes, so, no news so far, right?

TBH, I highly doubt anything will come before sept now... guess I don't have to fear for TA even.

We need some solid decisions, not speculation. Speculation just makes us even more anxious.
Not good time for that, have plenty of exams now...

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I agree with you fibreman, but don't you think Sep was the likely implementation month from the very start of this process. The very first speech Mr. Green made on this subject, he was very clear that these proposals will be implemented from the next academic year and thats on record.

Today, he said this in parliament "We are considering the responses we received following closure of the recent consultation on reform of the student immigration system, which closed on 31 January. We are concluding our analysis of responses and will announce future plans for the student system in due course."

I think they will announce something soon but will implement it from Sep 2011.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 pm

tall_funky wrote:I agree with you fibreman, but don't you think Sep was the likely implementation month from the very start of this process. The very first speech Mr. Green made on this subject, he was very clear that these proposals will be implemented from the next academic year and thats on record.

Today, he said this in parliament "We are considering the responses we received following closure of the recent consultation on reform of the student immigration system, which closed on 31 January. We are concluding our analysis of responses and will announce future plans for the student system in due course."

I think they're definitely going to announce something in the next two weeks. After the closure he said they would announce in 6 weeks, which puts it right in the middle of March.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
tall_funky wrote:I agree with you fibreman, but don't you think Sep was the likely implementation month from the very start of this process. The very first speech Mr. Green made on this subject, he was very clear that these proposals will be implemented from the next academic year and thats on record.

I think they're definitely going to announce something in the next two weeks. After the closure he said they would announce in 6 weeks, which puts it right in the middle of March.
It is possible, but I think that might be prolonged now... they have more resistance than expected. Obviously, the responses in consultation do not coincide with their wanted changes.

As tall funky says, most likely, it will roll from sept anyway...

What I don't like is... "all options are being considered still, from closure to etc." Sorry, this is bs... tbh... have we been waiting for weeks on needles, just to hear smth we knew from start? These politicians are playing us.

God knows, this country has far bigger problems than legit students who leave billions of pounds here...

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 pm

To be honest I doubt that any proposals will come in the next week cause in the home office committee enquiry they asked damian green if any changes would be announced on march 16th and he said they had no date, same last week with minister willets, and the mps recommended that they should wait until their recommendations report is published before any changes are announced and apparently damian green and theresa may agreed so it sucks cause its all unclear

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 pm

tusso wrote:To be honest I doubt that any proposals will come in the next week cause in the home office committee enquiry they asked damian green if any changes would be announced on march 16th and he said they had no date, same last week with minister willets, and the mps recommended that they should wait until their recommendations report is published before any changes are announced and apparently damian green and theresa may agreed so it sucks cause its all unclear
I agree, this stresses me out... but, if it doesn't come out now, then it will not take effect in moths anyway... I think if they want changes from april, they must be out in days now. Otherwise, april is off. Most likely, sept onwards.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 pm

fibreman wrote:
tusso wrote:To be honest I doubt that any proposals will come in the next week cause in the home office committee enquiry they asked damian green if any changes would be announced on march 16th and he said they had no date, same last week with minister willets, and the mps recommended that they should wait until their recommendations report is published before any changes are announced and apparently damian green and theresa may agreed so it sucks cause its all unclear
I agree, this stresses me out... but, if it doesn't come out now, then it will not take effect in moths anyway... I think if they want changes from april, they must be out in days now. Otherwise, april is off. Most likely, sept onwards.
Yea that is what I mean. I think the changes will be from April, hence the announcement very, very soon. But of course I could be wrong.

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
fibreman wrote:
Yea that is what I mean. I think the changes will be from April, hence the announcement very, very soon. But of course I could be wrong.
Not very soon, at least not until the parliament home office committee publishes its recommendations

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 pm

tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:
fibreman wrote:
Not very soon, at least not until the parliament home office committee publishes its recommendations
give they give a date as to when they will publish?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:
fibreman wrote:
give they give a date as to when they will publish?
I haven't found any... as you know, these things take time, I doubt they can publish all the stuff suddenly in 3, 4 days. Which means delayed decision.

Originally, I think, govt didn't expect such resistance. They wanted a quick consultation and change.
Now, it's committees, parliament, unis attacking them etc. hardly can original dates stick now.

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 pm

[quote="jlewisunh"][quote="tusso"][quote="jlewisunh"][quote="fibreman"][quote="tusso"]To be honest I doubt that any proposals will come in the next week cause in the home office committee enquiry they asked damian green if any changes would be announced on march 16th and he said they had no date, same last week with minister willets, and the mps recommended that they should wait until their recommendations report is published before any changes are announced and apparently damian green and theresa may agreed so it sucks cause its all unclear[/quote]

I agree, this stresses me out... but, if it doesn't come out now, then it will not take effect in moths anyway... I think if they want changes from april, they must be out in days now. Otherwise, april is off. Most likely, sept onwards.[/quote]

Yea that is what I mean. I think the changes will be from April, hence the announcement very, very soon. But of course I could be wrong.[/quote]

Not very soon, at least not until the parliament home office committee publishes its recommendations[/quote]

give they give a date as to when they will publish?[/quote]

No

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Tusso, nothing will happen... soon, summer will come, I think we still won't have a decision if it continues like this.

This can take from weeks, to months. Nobody knows. At worst, in the meantime, we get psw as it is now.

I would prefer a clear policy announcement now, though, so that it is easier to plan.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 am

fibreman wrote:Tusso, nothing will happen... soon, summer will come, I think we still won't have a decision if it continues like this.

This can take from weeks, to months. Nobody knows. At worst, in the meantime, we get psw as it is now.

I would prefer a clear policy announcement now, though, so that it is easier to plan.
Yeah I get you, its just terrible not knowing, but seeing how relaxed things are getting worse case would be TA with 2 year PSW and restrictions for students starting in 2011 onwards, fingers crossed

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 am

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:Tusso, nothing will happen... soon, summer will come, I think we still won't have a decision if it continues like this.

Yeah I get you, its just terrible not knowing, but seeing how relaxed things are getting worse case would be TA with 2 year PSW and restrictions for students starting in 2011 onwards, fingers crossed
I agree. But lets focus on exams now... there won't be no job opportunities if we fail or do badly anyway. I think we'll be fine :)

It's all been played down a lot from initial proposals. These committees are very slow, not sure we'll get anything that soon.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 pm

tusso wrote:
probably 2012! as recruiting is already underway for 2011! universities wont be pleased if govt. imposes the limits on 2011 in take

cheers