ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passports Delivered by Home Office using Royal Mail Lost

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newcan
Newly Registered

Post by newcan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I am in a strange situation where our passports were sent by Home Office to Royal Mail, but, I have not received them until now. It is almost one month since it was sent to royal mail. When we call the home office they are asking to wait for some more time and then they would tell us what to do next.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? I have applied for FLR and hence both my husband’s and my passports and all the supporting documents are missing.

My husband needs to travel urgently; he doesn’t have his passport now and he is on ILR. Can anyone suggest or help us on what to do next – how to apply for new passports with visa stamps and make necessary claims?

Thanks,
CS

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 pm

UKBA would hopefully have used special delivery or recorded delivery, so they would have a tracking number and could track the package through that. If the package was signed for, the Royal Mail should have a name of who signed for it. If you live in a block of flats sometimes other people sign for things. Try to find the tracking number and contact Royal Mail. If no luck, try asking your neighbours. Good luck.

newcan
Newly Registered

Post by newcan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi,

We checked with the tracking number and there is no record of any delivery. It seems we have lost all the passports and documents.Please let us know what else we can do?

Thanks,
CS

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 am

If they are lost you will have to replace everything. Hopefully you kept copies.

Also, is your existing status about to expire? If so, you need to urgently contact the Home Office.

newcan
Newly Registered

Post by newcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm

We do have the copies of the UK visa and my current status is valid for another 5 months. So if we have to reapply for the passports and the get the visa stamping, will we be eligible to claim compensation either from Home Office or Royal mail?

newcan
Newly Registered

Post by newcan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Can some one please reply urgently?

Thanks,
CS

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm

1. Report the loss to the police. Get a copy of report.
2. Apply for new passport(s) from the embassy of your country of citizenship.
3. When passport(s) are issued, apply for "replacement of vignette" on account of loss of passports. Enquire from UKBA in advance to understand what documentary evidence(s) you'll need, the form to use and the fees to pay.

As for compensation from UKBA, you will need to enquire from UKBA if you are entitled to one and for how much. As for claiming compensation from Royal Mail, it would depend on what method was used to post (1st, 2nd, SD etc.), entitlement to claim according to method of postage and, more importantly, evidence of postage.

You cannot travel with photocopies of "visa".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!