ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proposed fee increases from 06-Apr-2011

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

milan_ns

Post by milan_ns » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm

KDS wrote:If u guys don't want to pay the fees always go back or event go 2 another country. Only reason UK let u live here because It's good for UK
I like it :) -let's find a country that offer better deals on immigration :)

Maybe there is a comparison website :shock:

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 am

Lets make an fb page, is it our fault that because of the Labour Govt's decisions that we are now suffering ? They should never have been free before so now they will recoup the costs from new applicants. Is it our fault that we fall in love with non-eu people?, maybe people should boy cott the uk, not really worth going there but it's where I grew up and where I know the system.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm

skyepark wrote:Lets make an fb page, is it our fault that because of the Labour Govt's decisions that we are now suffering ? They should never have been free before so now they will recoup the costs from new applicants. Is it our fault that we fall in love with non-eu people?, maybe people should boy cott the uk, not really worth going there but it's where I grew up and where I know the system.
I agree, lets make a FB Page and post the link here.
Guys, plz suggest a name for the group!

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 pm

KDS wrote:If u guys don't want to pay the fees always go back or event go 2 another country. Only reason UK let u live here because It's good for UK
Is there any special reason thats leads you to comment negatively all the time ?

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 am

It seems as someone already suggested that u guys are paying for those who settle and then suck the system which costs more to uk govt. So they try to take at least some back its understandable. Its the last one off fee for ppl to settle so start saving now.

KDS
BANNED

Post by KDS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 pm

sunmoon wrote:
Is there any special reason thats leads you to comment negatively all the time ?
What's nagative abt my comment ?

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:01 pm

mcovet wrote:It seems as someone already suggested that u guys are paying for those who settle and then suck the system which costs more to uk govt. So they try to take at least some back its understandable. Its the last one off fee for ppl to settle so start saving now.
LOL!!!

So what you will be doing about EU citizens from May 2011??
This govt. is just fooling around on the issue of immigration!!!

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 am

May 2011 is not significant in ANY respect! WRS scheme was not that difficult to register with as was not capped or prohibitively designed. So, nothing is going to be different from May 2011!

If it had been similar to the transitional arrangement for the Romanian/Bulgarians- that would have been a different story, but even then, family members of the R/B are still treated identically to locals!

tall_funky wrote:
mcovet wrote:It seems as someone already suggested that u guys are paying for those who settle and then suck the system which costs more to uk govt. So they try to take at least some back its understandable. Its the last one off fee for ppl to settle so start saving now.
LOL!!!

So what you will be doing about EU citizens from May 2011??
This govt. is just fooling around on the issue of immigration!!!

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 pm

mcovet wrote:May 2011 is not significant in ANY respect! WRS scheme was not that difficult to register with as was not capped or prohibitively designed. So, nothing is going to be different from May 2011!

If it had been similar to the transitional arrangement for the Romanian/Bulgarians- that would have been a different story, but even then, family members of the R/B are still treated identically to locals!
Its not about WRS!!!

Please read and then comment :idea:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... uling.html

"100,000 Eastern European migrants now free to claim full benefits in Britain worth tens of millions of pounds after EU ruling"

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:29 pm

...right, are you clued up at all tall guy? This IS about WRS and transitional arrangements!!!

The fact of the matter is that this is a debatable issue! What about those from other, original EU Member States already claiming thousands of pounds monthly??? Italians, French etc.!

In any case, there are cases Collins 2004 ICR I-2703 and Monique Chateignier 2006 ECR I-1095 and Trojani 2004 C-456/02 which are clear as to the contradiction!

Those migrants, if DWP took it seriously, would only be limited to benefits WHILE LOOKING for work! And if there are no genuine chances of finding employment the EUROPEANS must be deported! It is another issue that the UK govt are not prepared to follow this route, but the rights of EU citizens are clear, they MUST be exercising Treaty Rights in order to be in the country. If they are NOT, they have to leave! By looking for work, they are exercising treaty rights, however, that is where the DWP should closely monitor the employment opportunities of Europeans.

Until the European in question obtains Permanent Residence, he will be subject to that requirement of exercising treaty rights.

Now, it is quite another question that the UK (if it had any choice) would rather have Europeans milk the system than those settling 3rd world countries and then milking it. Or to paraphrase, UK has enough to deal with.

I have emailed my local Job Centre to ask them as to how they are implementing the Directive 2004/38 and whether they ensure that those EU people are entitled to claim when they are claiming!

No response yet, but I will press on my MP and see if they can introduce new and CLEAR guidelines for those europeans not yet permanent resident to undergo close scrutiny before dishing out benefits. I agree with people here that the EU nationals are as much a burden to the UK as are 3rd country nationals. But, the same way the UK nationals, especially pensioners in Spain, take advantage of the EU law abroad.

Everyone seems to forget that any European who after initial 3 months is not exercising treaty rights in any category, has NO RIGHT of residence in the UK, therefore they are in the UK ILLEGALLY! The UK should simply start deporting the scrounges of Europe back to where they came from. While it's borderless in the sense of the initial 3 months, later it is very much a bordered land.

I will really start to lobby this point as much as I can! I as a tax payer am not prepared to pay for anyone taking advantage of the UK's benefit system.

tall_funky wrote:
mcovet wrote:May 2011 is not significant in ANY respect! WRS scheme was not that difficult to register with as was not capped or prohibitively designed. So, nothing is going to be different from May 2011!

Its not about WRS!!!

Please read and then comment :idea:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... uling.html

"100,000 Eastern European migrants now free to claim full benefits in Britain worth tens of millions of pounds after EU ruling"

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 pm

And yes, just to go back to my initial statement that the change wont' change much, I stand by it because:

1) Those who had to register for WRS were workers and exercising treaty rights;
2) as they were exercising treaty rights, they could claim EXACTLY the same benefits as the article fears they will be!;
3) the only difference is that they won't have to actually register for WRS but this is irrelevant, as I said, because unlike Romanians and Bulgarians, where the Work permits are 99% impossible to obtain, the WRS didn't require the A8 national to have a work permit, they didn't need the permit, they could simply work, but had to register the activity;
4) Therefore, this is NOT changing much, the article is silent to the fact that those Pre-May Eastern Europeans were still able to claim Working Tax Credits, Housing and Other benefits when working, if they have children, they don't earn enough etc.
5) So, my point is that this is NOT going to make much difference than before! The europeans have been claiming benefits for ages, since 1972 when the UK joined EU, and the Workers' Regulation 1612/68 was the one protecting workers. Since 2006, the new Directive expanded the ambit, but the fact that EU expanded itself led to citizens of Europe using the institution that is the European Union!

Therefore, the UK has enough to deal with to also pay for those workers from 3rd countries who also most of the time end up on benefits after settling. My view stands- the UK govt try to squeeze as much as they can before the process reverses!

IndyRhodes
Newly Registered

Spouse visas - Unjust system

Post by IndyRhodes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Spouse visa cost - £810 !!!

This cost just makes me fume...the UKBA do virtually nothing for this; they certainly do not provide a service. The whole system for spouse visas is a complete con.

The system is used as a front for immigration control with no concern whatsoever for the feelings and emotions of those who pay the money. The time it takes is extortionate. Separation from one's partner causes immense anguish and torment, which the UKBA couldn't care less about. No discretion or judgement is made if this is in an applicant's favour. The system is not fast, not fair, and is used solely as an easy opportunity for revenue acquisition and immigration control.

There needs to be organisation to counter this use of the visa system; currently spouses have no choice but to pay up. This unjust use of immigration policy needs to be challenged.

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Post by MANILA-PEP » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 am

It will be instructive if we put together a template letter and individually fire off to our local MP's to take up this incessant increments in fees, very soon it will climax 10,000GBP for dependants at this rate.The increments are totally unjustifiable, we must act now.

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:13 am

MANILA-PEP wrote:It will be instructive if we put together a template letter and individually fire off to our local MP's to take up this incessant increments in fees, very soon it will climax 10,000GBP for dependants at this rate.The increments are totally unjustifiable, we must act now.
Is it possible to challenge the fee increase in court?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:22 pm

jinkazama_11 wrote:
MANILA-PEP wrote:It will be instructive if we put together a template letter and individually fire off to our local MP's to take up this incessant increments in fees, very soon it will climax 10,000GBP for dependants at this rate.The increments are totally unjustifiable, we must act now.
Is it possible to challenge the fee increase in court?
Well, probably some lawyers here are going to come and spew out some legalize to show how I'm wrong, but I would say no.

The fact is a visa, right of abode or citizenship, these things are all privileges. The UK doesn't have to let one single person into their country and they can deny them for any reason they like, including 'dearly beloved' reasons. They are sovereign nation and that is a fundamental feature of being a sovereign nation.

Certainly a subset of that right is that if they do indeed decide to allow some people in, they may set whatever conditions they like for entry: such as cost, what nationalities they let in, the financial background of potential entrants, the religious background of potential entrants, the criminal background, etc, etc, etc.... whatever they like. Any challenge to this fundamental right should be construed as challenge to this nation's sovereignty. And I don't think they are going to accept any of our arguments about cost, or our (or our relative's) human 'right' to enter their country, and thus give up any bit of their sovereignty.

The only way they give up their sovereignty, even a small part of it, is if they lose a war, or they see huge potential financial/diplomatic benefit in trading some of their sovereignty for economic gain. That's just how I see it.

They have joined the EU and to some extant, allowed some of their sovereign power to be shared by fellow member countries. But that was limited and completely their choice to do so (required no conflict in any courts and such). Sorry to say, I don't you are going to convince a judge that visa prices are on the scale of sovereign importance as joining the EU, and even if you did, I think the most you get out of it is that the citizenry or parliament are made to review/approve such pricing before it goes into effect. Even then, such pricing would still be completely at the discretion of the government and I don't think those of us who are not citizens will really have a say in the matter. Like I said, perhaps some lawyers here will see things differently.

And before I get attacked, let me just say that these changes in prices do affect me and my family directly, as we are now qualified to attain citizenship and will certainly be paying a higher price than currently exist, and perhaps even a higher one than proposed depending on how long we put it off applying. I've also been affected by previous retroactive changes (something I still grumble about).

However, I've always believed that this is their country. They can do whatever they like. If they don't want me in it that badly, I'll leave. Perhaps my perspective is tainted by my own culture and nationality (Americans tend to be fiercely nationalistic), but I do think my points are logical.

IndyRhodes
Newly Registered

Post by IndyRhodes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:33 pm

@ouflak1

Yes, of course the UK is a sovereign country, with it's own laws and policies.

However, these laws are passed on behalf of UK citizens (or subjects). As a UK national I have every right to complain and feel resentful if officials are abusing their authority to deny my wife access because of her nationality. Furthermore, to make me pay through the roof for the privilege is a bit rich.

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Post by MANILA-PEP » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm

The Gurus should get a draft letter asap and we all use it to write to our MP's and UKBA to protest this increase now.If we dont do it they will continue to incresae these fees every three months.It is time to act fast.

KDS
BANNED

Post by KDS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 am

IndyRhodes wrote:@ouflak1

However, these laws are passed on behalf of UK citizens (or subjects). As a UK national I have every right to complain and feel resentful if officials are abusing their authority to deny my wife access because of her nationality. Furthermore, to make me pay through the roof for the privilege is a bit rich.
what you prefer increase fees for foreigners or put the air port tax and other taxes up for every body ?

I would say increase fees for foreigners. selfish yes but few paying lot more for a better life than all of us paying.

if you want to import a car you pay a premium to bring that here than buying a car from here. I know it's wrong to compare your wife to a car but u get the picture.

UKBA didn't force you to marry in where ever you married. so why they charge less ?? I would say increase it to lot more and reduce our taxes.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 am

MANILA-PEP wrote:The Gurus should get a draft letter asap and we all use it to write to our MP's and UKBA to protest this increase now.If we dont do it they will continue to incresae these fees every three months.It is time to act fast.
They should do no such thing - come on folks it is a small increase when you look at all the other things happening. If you don't like it no is forcing you to stay in the UK, your choice
pennyless

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:38 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:
MANILA-PEP wrote:The Gurus should get a draft letter asap and we all use it to write to our MP's and UKBA to protest this increase now.If we dont do it they will continue to incresae these fees every three months.It is time to act fast.
They should do no such thing - come on folks it is a small increase when you look at all the other things happening. If you don't like it no is forcing you to stay in the UK, your choice
Small increase, £3400 is not a small amount of money.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 pm

jinkazama_11 wrote:
pennylessinindia wrote:
£3400 for what?
pennyless

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:
jinkazama_11 wrote:
pennylessinindia wrote:
£3400 for what?
ILR Fee (From Apr 2011)
Main applicant = £1350
Dependant = £675 each, £2025 for 3 dependants
Total = £3375

Processing cost for each applicant is £245, i.e., a total of £980. UKBA will charge three and half times of the actual cost.

IndyRhodes
Newly Registered

Post by IndyRhodes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:50 pm

KDS wrote:

what you prefer increase fees for foreigners or put the air port tax and other taxes up for every body ?

I would say increase fees for foreigners. selfish yes but few paying lot more for a better life than all of us paying.

if you want to import a car you pay a premium to bring that here than buying a car from here. I know it's wrong to compare your wife to a car but u get the picture.

UKBA didn't force you to marry in where ever you married. so why they charge less ?? I would say increase it to lot more and reduce our taxes.
I've paid my taxes for 20 odd years, so nobody owes me a favour. I've filled the Exchequer's coffers many times over. I've paid for my wife's presence here umpteen times already thanks.

KDS
BANNED

Post by KDS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:48 am

IndyRhodes wrote:
KDS wrote:

I've paid my taxes for 20 odd years, so nobody owes me a favour. I've filled the Exchequer's coffers many times over. I've paid for my wife's presence here umpteen times already thanks.
really ?? so if u feel that way why dont u renounce your British citizenship go and live with you wife. I'm sure application is free there and guess u dont have to pay any taxes.

Every one pay taxes here which is why u get free NHS and ur kids go school for free. Police ambulance fire to protect you. i can go on. I'm sure if u love ur wife that much and hate the country u live, u might as well go and live with her.

KDS
BANNED

Post by KDS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 am

jinkazama_11 wrote:
pennylessinindia wrote:
jinkazama_11 wrote:
pennylessinindia wrote:
£3400 for what?

ILR Fee (From Apr 2011)
Main applicant = £1350
Dependant = £675 each, £2025 for 3 dependants
Total = £3375

Processing cost for each applicant is £245, i.e., a total of £980. UKBA will charge three and half times of the actual cost.

It's not UKBA fault u have 2 kids. UK government is paying for ur kids education for free why dont u pay this much to settle here. ur each child's education will cost around £6000 per year for UK government. now add the other things ur kid get free travel NHS etc etc.

I think u getting a better deal.UKBA should charge lot more