ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Date of arrival in UK when status approved in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gc123

Date of arrival in UK when status approved in UK

Post by gc123 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:41 am

Hi guys

I can't find anything on the forum about this and the UKBA guidance seems to assume this situation is not possible.

I was originally in the UK on a 2-year working holiday visa (doesn't count towards ILR/citizenship) then changed to Highly Skilled Migrant Permit in July 2005. In-country HSMP applications were allowed at that time.

Am I correct to assume that my "date of arrival" for naturalisation purposes was [b]the day my HSMP visa was issued[/b], rather than the next time after that when I arrived in the UK (following a short holiday)? I don't think coming back to the UK from a holiday was relevant.

Thanks for any advice.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Since it was an "in country" application I don't see why the next travel is relevant. It should be like any other in-country visa extension and/or change so I beleive the day that counts is what appears on your passport or what appears in the documentation you recieved when your status was changed to HSMP

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 am

Legal stay in the UK under any immigration category (including visitor) may be included in the qualifying residential period for the purpose of naturalisation.

See also Annex B: The residence requirements

regards

gc123

Post by gc123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks both. I guess I will use the date of HSMP issuance (I think I did this for ILR) but the UKBA guidance clearly implies an "arrival":

Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and the airport or seaport through which you then entered.