ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information about visiting Sweden for 90 days.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

djkroo
Newly Registered

Information about visiting Sweden for 90 days.

Post by djkroo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Hello!

I need a conformation of my understanding of visiting Sweden for 90 days during the 180 days period.

So do I understand it right: you can visit someone in Sweden for 90 days, then you have to be outside of Sweden for another 90 days if you want to come back and visit again?

I have danish residence permit however I am not a citizen of EU.

thank you
T.

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

How is the six month period calculated?

Post by eldane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:53 pm

How is the six month period calculated?

The six month period is calculated from the date of first enty into the Schengen region. The date of first entry is:

* the date on which you entered the Schengen region for the first time, and subsequently
* the date of any subsequent entry into the Schengen region which takes place after the expiration of a six-month period.

This means that if you arrive for the first time in Sweden or another Schengen country on 1 February 2010, you can stay in the Schengen region for a period of three months (90 days) within the six-month period which ends on 31 July 2010.

If you return again on 1 October 2010 – i.e. more than six months after your very first entry into the Schengen region – this date will constitute a new 'date of first entry'. Therefore, 1 October 2010 constitutes the beginning of a new six-month period during which you can stay in the Schengen region for a period of up to three months.

If you arrive again on 1 June 2011, it will be this date which constitutes the next 'date of first entry', and so on.

If you are holding a multiple entry visa valid for more than six months you can submit an application for a new visa before the current visa expires. If your new visa is issued and its validity period begins concurrently with the current visa’s expiry, you are permitted to remain in Sweden after the first visa expires, provided all conditions for both visas are met, including the regulation limiting the total length of stay within the Schengen area to 90 days per six months.

If you have been staying in another Schengen country with a residence permit or on a long term visa limited to another Schengen country (D visa), this stay is not included in the 90 days per six months that you can stay in Sweden on a visa or on a visa free stay.
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

djkroo
Newly Registered

Re: How is the six month period calculated?

Post by djkroo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm

eldane wrote:If you have been staying in another Schengen country with a residence permit or on a long term visa limited to another Schengen country (D visa), this stay is not included in the 90 days per six months that you can stay in Sweden on a visa or on a visa free stay.
Thank you SO very much for such a great and full answer! However can you please explain this last part? About that if i have a residence permit for Denmark(in my case) what does it mean exactly that this stay is not included in the 90 days per six months?

thanks you so much in advance
T.

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

eldane wrote:How is the six month period calculated?

The six month period is calculated from the date of first enty into the Schengen region. The date of first entry is:

* the date on which you entered the Schengen region for the first time, and subsequently
* the date of any subsequent entry into the Schengen region which takes place after the expiration of a six-month period.

This means that if you arrive for the first time in Sweden or another Schengen country on 1 February 2010, you can stay in the Schengen region for a period of three months (90 days) within the six-month period which ends on 31 July 2010.

If you return again on 1 October 2010 – i.e. more than six months after your very first entry into the Schengen region – this date will constitute a new 'date of first entry'. Therefore, 1 October 2010 constitutes the beginning of a new six-month period during which you can stay in the Schengen region for a period of up to three months.

If you arrive again on 1 June 2011, it will be this date which constitutes the next 'date of first entry', and so on.

If you are holding a multiple entry visa valid for more than six months you can submit an application for a new visa before the current visa expires. If your new visa is issued and its validity period begins concurrently with the current visa’s expiry, you are permitted to remain in Sweden after the first visa expires, provided all conditions for both visas are met, including the regulation limiting the total length of stay within the Schengen area to 90 days per six months.

If you have been staying in another Schengen country with a residence permit or on a long term visa limited to another Schengen country (D visa), this stay is not included in the 90 days per six months that you can stay in Sweden on a visa or on a visa free stay.
Are these rules applicable for non EU spouse of EU national without a residence permit if they arrive on Schengen visa?

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Post by eldane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 pm

No, usually when you are staying in another Schengen country that time is discounted from the 90 days you may stay in another Schengen country.

However, if you have a residence permit from another Schengen state the days you have been staying in that country is not to be discounted from the 90 days i.e. you will always enjoy a full 90 days. And mind you that there are to elapse 180 days between each 90 days visit.

Many thanks,
eldanes

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Post by eldane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

newbieholland wrote:
eldane wrote:How is the six month period calculated?

Are these rules applicable for non EU spouse of EU national without a residence permit if they arrive on Schengen visa?
These rules are applicable to ANY non EU passport/EU nationality holder irrespectively whether or not they hold a visa or hold a residence permit from a country in the Schengen zone.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Information about visiting Sweden for 90 days.

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 am

djkroo wrote:I have danish residence permit however I am not a citizen of EU.
Hi djkroo,

it depends a little on what you´re planning to do in Sweden.

As long as your Danish residence "remains valid", you should practically not have problems being present in Sweden.

By "remains valid" I don´t mean the expiry date, but fulfilling the minimum requirements to keep it legally valid, such as actually living in Denmark.

While the time-restrictions as discussed above theoretically apply, no-one can actually check when you crossed from where to where, as you won´t get any stamps when crossing from Denmark to Sweden or back.

If you travel by car via the bridge, the actual border >>looks like that<<.

Summary is: Practically you can be whereever you please, as long as your main residence / purpose of stay remains in Denmark.

If you plan to move to Sweden, work there, or anything alike, you´d have to get a Swedish permit.

I know of people who live in Malmö but work in København. If that or similar is what you´re planning to do, you´d have to get relevant permits.

Another thing worth mentioning: I seem to remember that gaining Danish citizenship is sort-of complicated, while the Swedes are pretty relaxed about that. Depending on where you´re from I´d recommend trying to get a Swedish residence-permit, actually live in Sweden, and soon enough (I think 3 years, but that´d have to be confirmed!!) you´ll have the Swedish nationality, allowing you to do whatever you please within the EU.

(Even if you have an EU-passport the 90-days rule applies. But that´s more like a theoretical restriction.)

Good luck and enjoy Scandinavia :)

Iko
Newly Registered

Re: Information about visiting Sweden for 90 days.

Post by Iko » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:29 am

ca.funke wrote:
Another thing worth mentioning: I seem to remember that gaining Danish citizenship is sort-of complicated, while the Swedes are pretty relaxed about that. Depending on where you´re from I´d recommend trying to get a Swedish residence-permit, actually live in Sweden, and soon enough (I think 3 years, but that´d have to be confirmed!!) you´ll have the Swedish nationality, allowing you to do whatever you please within the EU.
5 years normally, plus several months waiting for the application to be treated. Fortunately, there is no language test, although there have been discussions about it.