ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

REGISTERING CHILD AS BRITISH WHEN MUM IS NOT BRITISH

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chibage

REGISTERING CHILD AS BRITISH WHEN MUM IS NOT BRITISH

Post by chibage » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi all,
is it possible to register a child as british if I am not british and only hold ILR or do I need to make the application together with mine at the same time?
These are the facts
Both child and I overstayers since May 2006
I got married to british citizen in Dec 07
Applied for FLRM in Jan 08
Added further reps to show my daughter qualified for 7 year concession in Sep 09
IN November 2009 we were granted ILR
My husband has not adopted my daughter

I was hoping to register my child relying on the guidance for discretion below but NCS have told me that a child cannot be registered as British if none of the parents are British unless applying at the same time. please confirm that this is the case.

thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 pm

You don't actually tell us whether the child was born in the UK. If by chance that was the case, then an application to Register the child as British can be made now.

However if the child was born outside the UK then I agree with the advice you have already received.
John

chibage

Post by chibage » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:59 pm

child born in Zimbabwe. thanks john.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:47 am

regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 am

chibage wrote:Hi, I need some help please. MY daughter will be turning 18 two months before qualifying for citizenship. Will she qualify to apply using MN1 or will she have to make her own application?? She will qualify through me, I am married to british citizen and will be applying 2 months before her 18th birthday . She was born in zimbabwe and has spent 9 years in the uk. Please advice thanks
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 am

If you are applying two months before her 18th birthday, then why can't she apply at the same time?

What's stopping you (8.10) from both applying now?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

chibage

Post by chibage » Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Vinny and thanks for the reply.
As i was an overstayer, i counted the qualifying residence period of 3yrs from the date I was granted ILR (NOV 2009 ). Which will be Nov 2012. I was worried to rely on discretion as I may loose my money because I am not sure if I will qualify under

g. "consideration of an application for indefinite leave to remain, made more than 15 months before the citizenship application, had been protracted through no fault of the applicant, providing ILR was eventually granted. This can include applications for asylum which have resulted in the grant of ILR (you should note that any asylum cases granted on or after the 30 August 2005 will not result in ILR, applicants will instead be given limited leave) ; or"

Yes I plan to apply at the same time with my daughter I was just not sure if she is 2months away from her 18th birthday in NOV 2012 whether this would be allowed as they say the application can take up to 6months to process meaning she might turn18 before then look at the application. Thanks for your help .

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 pm

I believe that she should be okay (9.13.1), if able to apply while she's still a minor.

chibage

Post by chibage » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 am

thanks