ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Salary issues in visa perspective

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajay_mital_1
BANNED

Salary issues in visa perspective

Post by ajay_mital_1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 am

hi,

i am reading posts by people having offers of 40k and 60k, while me despite being in the uk for 6 years earning slightly less than 25k - btw i am a structural engineer. recently i found out that HO could be extending ILR eligibility to 6 years, which could, for me and others, mean 2nd extension of their tier 1 visa, which could demand higher salary earning in order to compensate for older age points!!!

this is hugely intimidating for me to find out that other immigrants are earning such lavish salaries while i m being stuck in bit and pieces - is there a secret behind earning such high salaries???

responses are welcomed....

thanks

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi

Your post did'nt get any response, yet I found your post very interesting. Firstly, let me tell you that I am in a similar boat as yours. So I kind of understand what you are feeling.
Don't forget that people talking about such high salaries, could be people of a very different profile than ours. For instance, they may be top level managers in MNC's in their home country with decades of work experience.
With UK retirement age increasing, it wouldnt be surprising for people in their late 40s and early 50s moving jobs. Naturally with their kind of experience to boot, they would be rewarded with that kind of salary.

A lot also depends on the industry we are in. I am in the Marketing and Creative industry, which has a good demand supply figures, so its difficulty for a foreigner to command a very high salary. Not to forget, skills, abilities, etc.

Do not despair. Always try to compete with yourself, rather than others. That's what I tell myself
:D
Cheers

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Ajay,

Dont take it personally when people talk of salary ranges. Most of the members, including me, work in the IT world and have many years of experience (though Im not 40 yet!). Within the IT world, though competition is tough, there are still jobs that pay extremely well (£70k to £80k and above), well (£45k to £65k), average (£36k-£45k), and low (£35k and below). Most who come 'onsite' from their parent companies tend to be in the average or low bands because thats how the companies exploit you. Those lucky enough to come on their own visas and good skills have got jobs that pay in the higher band.

Salary ranges are limited to the industry and field you work in so its not easy to compare. So IT is very different from engineering which is different from service which is different from healthcare and so on......

Finally, if they introduce any rule extending ILR by a year they will, fingers crossed, specify a cut off date. There will be many who are within a few months of getting their ILR and it will not be fair on them. For the rest who still have more than 50% of the time to go say between 2 to 3 years then it will definitely affect them.

Regards
KP