ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criminal Convictions and Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

semsem
Newly Registered

Criminal Convictions and Naturalization

Post by semsem » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 pm

I would like to apply for citizenship but I have a major problem, a Drink and Drive offence.

This conviction was in August 2007 and I was sentenced one month jail and a fine. This conviction was outside the UK and I declared it in all my previous applications.

If I wait for the conviction to be spent I will have to wait for over three years before I apply.

Is it a complete waste of money to apply now and try. Is there even 5% chance, providing that everything else is fine.

Will an advisor be able to help me or will it be more waste of money?

Your replies will be very much appreciated.

summer_boy
Newly Registered

Post by summer_boy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi there,
will advice not to apply until the conviction spent!!! otherwise you will waste £780(,UKBA say that you can still apply even with a unspent conviction but your application is likely to be unsuccesfull)
i think the rehabilitation act 1974(spent) time for a fine is 5 years from the date of your conviction,give a call to disclosure scotlant their will advice excate spent time(mention where the conviction took place)

All the best

semsem
Newly Registered

Post by semsem » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 pm

there was a prison sentence as well, so in my case its 7 years.

more thoughts please even if negative

summer_boy
Newly Registered

Post by summer_boy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 pm

yes7 years,do you need to disclose a conviction outside the UK?double check that section of the application form,i think is offences and conviction in a uk in a past years,if that is correct it will make sense to appy after 08/2012

Another thinks some unspent application still got APPROVAL,ask a solicitor for advice i thinks

cheers