ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I emailed my uni and they said they had not heard of a pending announcement next week. Who knows what's going on. This is getting maddening.

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

jlewisunh wrote:I emailed my uni and they said they had not heard of a pending announcement next week. Who knows what's going on. This is getting maddening.
Its all the same, as before, that post about an announcement next week was worthless, the reason why they are speculating next week is cause it will be 6 weeks since the consultation, so technically it can be as early as next week, the times higher education website were just speculating on that, but usually before government gives an annoucements, they leak it to the media, that happened with the tier 2 cap, last tuesday at my uni there was a senior analyst form the department of business and skills, and she said the discussions about the student visas are still not there yet, and even if they announce them on monday they would only come into effect in april, and there are ALWAYS transitional arrangements, so worse case if unis loose the battle in keeping PSW open, they will the very least secure decent TA for current students...
Last edited by tusso on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:59 pm

tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:I emailed my uni and they said they had not heard of a pending announcement next week. Who knows what's going on. This is getting maddening.
Its all the same, as before, that post about an announcement next week was worthless, the reason why they are speculating next week is cause it will be 6 weeks since the consultation, so technically it can be as early as next week, the times higher education website were just speculating on that, but usually before government gives an annoucements, they leak it to the media, that happened with the tier 2 cap, last tuesday at my uni there was a senior analyst form the department of business and skills, and she said the discussions about the student visas are still not there yet, and even if they announce them on monday they would only come into effect in april, and there are ALWAYS transitional arrangements, so worse case if unis loose the battle in keeping PSW open, they will the very least secure decent TA for current students...
Yes... which is exactly what we want. Even so, I don't think there will be an announcement next week... seems it's still ongoing.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I was just thinking...what are the odds that they announce something like: if you are currently on a psw visa either inside the uk without work (looking for a job at current time) or outside the uk with psw visa planning on coming to look for work, the transitional arrangement will be that you can still use the visa but you have NO opportunity to go to tier 2'? only those currently on psw who are already working will have this option. is this even possible?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:31 pm

jlewisunh wrote:I was just thinking...what are the odds that they announce something like: if you are currently on a psw visa either inside the uk without work (looking for a job at current time) or outside the uk with psw visa planning on coming to look for work, the transitional arrangement will be that you can still use the visa but you have NO opportunity to go to tier 2'? only those currently on psw who are already working will have this option. is this even possible?
They can't do that or rather very unlikely that they will do such thing.

Employers would be furious as they can argue, legally in my view, that they employed(or looked to employ) someone on psw, whatever the case maybe, because they knew that they could sponsor psw holders down the road!

well, thats what i think...

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 pm

arsenal49 wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:I was just thinking...what are the odds that they announce something like: if you are currently on a psw visa either inside the uk without work (looking for a job at current time) or outside the uk with psw visa planning on coming to look for work, the transitional arrangement will be that you can still use the visa but you have NO opportunity to go to tier 2'? only those currently on psw who are already working will have this option. is this even possible?
They can't do that or rather very unlikely that they will do such thing.

Employers would be furious as they can argue, legally in my view, that they employed(or looked to employ) someone on psw, whatever the case maybe, because they knew that they could sponsor psw holders down the road!

well, thats what i think...
yea but in all due respect that is a pretty weak counter argument. they'd tell the employer to prove that the position HAD to be filled by a migrant. i think a better case could be made by us, as the rules that were in place AT THE TIME of applying need to be given to us. one of these rules was the ability to transfer to tier 2 on this visa.

edit: they actually couldn't do this. they already announced:

Tier 2 categories affected by the limit
The Tier 2 (General) category will be subject to a limit on numbers of 20,700 in the year commencing 6 April 2011.

This limit will apply to CoS for those seeking admission to the United Kingdom as a Tier 2 (General) migrant. These CoS will be known as “restrictedâ€

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Guys, don't worry, I don't think they will cut psw tier 2 possibility...

It makes no sense at all, besides arguments given, bear in mind that:

To EVEN get Tier 2, u need to earn x salary, have to have occupation on list and so on, and with all this true, u can no way be burden for economy etc.

Tier 2 has strong conditions anyway, as said, so there might be people on psw, who still won't be able to satisfy those anyway.
No need to cut this anyway.

As for psw, I'm quite convinced now, that even announcements will not be immediate.

tusso

Post by tusso » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

fibreman wrote:Guys, don't worry, I don't think they will cut psw tier 2 possibility...

To EVEN get Tier 2, u need to earn x salary, have to have occupation on list and so on, and with all this true, u can no way be burden for economy etc.

Tier 2 has strong conditions anyway, as said, so there might be people on psw, who still won't be able to satisfy those anyway.

As for psw, I'm quite convinced now, that even announcements will not be immediate.
Yeah I agree, as for changes, I have been looking at the response of the consultation from the Russell Group, Universities UK, the NUS and some think tanks. For PSW, changes that seem likely is that it might be restricted to Masters students, might be reduced in time, though this was only expressed by willets and damian green not on these responses, and all of them urge the government that even if changes ought to be implemented, current students should get TA... and damian green has said current students will be taken into consideration, so lets hope for the best

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:03 pm

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:Guys, don't worry, I don't think they will cut psw tier 2 possibility...

Yeah I agree, as for changes, I have been looking at the response of the consultation from the Russell Group, Universities UK, the NUS and some think tanks. For PSW, changes that seem likely is that it might be restricted to Masters students, might be reduced in time, though this was only expressed by willets and damian green not on these responses, and all of them urge the government that even if changes ought to be implemented, current students should get TA... and damian green has said current students will be taken into consideration, so lets hope for the best

Well, all is possible, but I have no money for Masters now... lol. Whatever they change, I graduate now, and many of us graduate this year or soon after- we need to be excluded.

Otherwise, we need to go to court asap. They might well say, reduce to phd... but what for us finishing our degree level currently?

Cutting the period is idiotic... 1 year psw? Sorry, no employer will take u for anything else than to scrub the floor... too little time to invest more.

BTW, any results of consultation? can we see the answers? Or is the govt HIDING them as they are not what they wanted?

We must be ready for court if needed...a lot is at stake, years of our lives, enormous money we put in here and more...

tusso

Post by tusso » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:16 pm

fibreman wrote:
tusso wrote:

Well, all is possible, but I have no money for Masters now... lol. Whatever they change, I graduate now, and many of us graduate this year or soon after- we need to be excluded.

Otherwise, we need to go to court asap. They might well say, reduce to phd... but what for us finishing our degree level currently?

Cutting the period is idiotic... 1 year psw? Sorry, no employer will take u for anything else than to scrub the floor... too little time to invest more.

BTW, any results of consultation? can we see the answers? Or is the govt HIDING them as they are not what they wanted?

We must be ready for court if needed...a lot is at stake, years of our lives, enormous money we put in here and more...
By law they cant hide them, though they will only be published once the government does the final proposals to these, I think these will only published once the home affairs committee publishes its report so we'll see... What I know in relation to PSW cause I saw a debate on the house lords is that there was almost universal consensus about how PSW should NOT be removed, but again there they said that it should probably be for Masters and PHD students, but then again transitional arrangements were asked for current students, in the very worse case students graduating THIS YEAR

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:
tusso wrote:

By law they cant hide them, though they will only be published once the government does the final proposals to these, I think these will only published once the home affairs committee publishes its report so we'll see... What I know in relation to PSW cause I saw a debate on the house lords is that there was almost universal consensus about how PSW should NOT be removed, but again there they said that it should probably be for Masters and PHD students, but then again transitional arrangements were asked for current students, in the very worse case students graduating THIS YEAR
Tusso, I think we'll be fine... in the end... but if some of these stupid ideas pass, it will be a blow to uk education.

There are 10s of thousands undergrad students in uk... you pay much more for fees even-3 years as such compared to Masters. If they do this, then undegrads won't come to uk anymore.
Not everyone wishes to go to Phd level. And honestly, esp at some unis, Masters are just cash cows.

Reduce to 1 year, also stupid... for reasons mentioned.

I think our generation will get normal 2 year psw, most likely, we'll be fine.

It is now very likely that nothing comes in april, hence, also nothing before sept...

Fair play would be, to give 2 years psw to all students who obtained st visas before changes are announced.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:40 pm

i hate it when people quote 3,4,5 posts for no reason whatsoever

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Can guys pls ask and look around cos i heard a document is out stating the new changes in PSW visa and is effective April, 2011. I cant find d document anywhere and i personally suspect is a kind of rumour. I will b good if you all can do some homework in that regard.

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 am

cruxifixo wrote:Can guys pls ask and look around cos i heard a document is out stating the new changes in PSW visa and is effective April, 2011. I cant find d document anywhere and i personally suspect is a kind of rumour. I will b good if you all can do some homework in that regard.
Nothing is out about PSW changes lol, if it was it would have been all over the place, especially now with the internet rumours or leaks get spread out so quick, I think the thing you could have possibly heard of is that proposed changes for raising the fee for visas, and in that document PSW is included, and yeah the rise of visa fee starts on april 6th

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm

My uni said to me that I am in danger cos the government wants to restrict PSW for PhD and Masters remaining it for undegraduates only.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!!

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 pm

[quote="sehmett"]Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!![/quote]

sorry i didnt get ur last post, u mean only allowing masters and phds for PSW? or only undergrads?

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 pm

tusso wrote:
sehmett wrote:Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!!
sorry i didnt get ur last post, u mean only allowing masters and phds for PSW? or only undergrads?
MA and PhD only, as psw for undergrads would make no sense (in the view of the HO)

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm

[quote="jlewisunh"][quote="tusso"][quote="sehmett"]Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!![/quote]

sorry i didnt get ur last post, u mean only allowing masters and phds for PSW? or only undergrads?[/quote]

MA and PhD only, as psw for undergrads would make no sense (in the view of the HO)[/quote]

Yeah that s what I thought, since all of the proposals and stuff in that sense point out at gettin "the brightest and the best" so would make no sense to take out the masters and phd students, plus there are less masters students so restricting it would put the numbers down of PSW applicants, anyway hopefully some REAL news will come out soon

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 pm

cruxifixo wrote:Can guys pls ask and look around cos i heard a document is out stating the new changes in PSW visa and is effective April, 2011. I cant find d document anywhere and i personally suspect is a kind of rumour. I will b good if you all can do some homework in that regard.
have you searched wikileaks?

....just saying

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:34 pm

No formal date for the announcement yet... I got this from another enquiry of the Home Affairs committee

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c78901.htm

Q145 Chair: I am resisting asking any more questions on this. Mr McCabe, you will have to wait. Maybe when the Minister replies to us we will have the chance to take this further.

One final issue about the student visas. As you know, the Committee has completed its examination of this subject. We are very grateful for what the Home Secretary has said that she is awaiting the outcome of the Select Committee’s report, which we hope to have in the near future. Members of the Committee obviously will have to consider it.
You don’t as yet have a date for announcement, do you?

Damian Green: No.

Q146 Chair: So you would be happy to wait for our report?

Damian Green: I can’t guarantee that. We are going to make the announcement in the near future so I hope your near future is shorter than our near future.

Chair: We will be publishing it in the near future. Given what the Minister said about the Select Committee questions yesterday and how helpful you find our reports, we hope to publish very shortly, just so that you know

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm

What a moron. Why wouldn't he just wait for the committee to publish their report? Talk about deciding in haste! Mr. Green must really, really hate the idea of immigrants migrating to the UK. He must also hate students. Maybe he didn't do well in school.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm

[quote="jlewisunh"][quote="tusso"][quote="sehmett"]Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!![/quote]

sorry i didnt get ur last post, u mean only allowing masters and phds for PSW? or only undergrads?[/quote]

MA and PhD only, as psw for undergrads would make no sense (in the view of the HO)[/quote]

NO! I mean PSW only for undegrads! That's what I was told by uni. This info came from the meeting with the government. However, it was just a proposal from the government. Another proposal was to issue PSW for undegrads and Masters but not for PhD. That's why I am even more angry! I am a PhD student.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

sehmett wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:
tusso wrote:
sehmett wrote:Does not matter what changes they do. We demand only TA for the current students!!
MA and PhD only, as psw for undergrads would make no sense (in the view of the HO)
NO! I mean PSW only for undegrads! That's what I was told by uni. This info came from the meeting with the government. However, it was just a proposal from the government. Another proposal was to issue PSW for undegrads and Masters but not for PhD. That's why I am even more angry! I am a PhD student.
You are clearly mistaken and I urge you to refrain from posting this information. There is no way whatsoever that the government would give psw to ONLY undergraduates. This should be very clear by now. The consultation even proposed a question on whether or not to limit psw to just PhD students. PhD students and MA students, on average, tend to have higher earning than just undergrads. Why would the government even remotely want to prohibit these people from remaining in the UK. Your uni is suggesting that the 'best and brightest' are actually undergrads rather than grad students. It is a ridiculous notion that needs to be put down. If I were you, I would be alarmed at the false information coming out of your university.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:54 pm

I agree with you! Obviously to leave PSW only for undegrads or undegrads plus Masters is funny! I posted this info as I had a conversation with uni representatives a few days ago. They told me (read in my post above) that there is such proposal. Also, we know that there are many proposals from the government about PSW. According to the uni representatives, those members of parlament who proposed such a thing argue that PHD students do not get work appropriate for their educational level.