ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR or MN1 form for my 3 year old son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

linearkieran

ILR or MN1 form for my 3 year old son

Post by linearkieran » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 am

Dear Moderators,

Hope you can help with this situation.

I got my HSMP after 3 April 2006 but before November 2006. Hence I had to apply for an extension and convert my HSMP to Tier 1 visa. Very soon my visa will run out and will need to apply for ILR. I have my wife staying with me. We have a son who was born here in 2008. Both my dependents.

Now, when I apply for ILR, what would be the best option for me?
1) Apply with both the dependents and get ILR for all of us OR
2) Apply with only my wife and when we get ILR (and if we get ILR), apply for registration of citizenship for my son soon as we get ILR. (Thanks for the help from this forum...I could find this information from this forum and UKBA website that my son will be eligible for citizenship after we get ILR)

In case if second option above is possible, what will be my son's status if we apply for his registration of citizenship as in section 1(3) using MN1 form and the authorised stay on his passport ends.

I want to go for this second option as it would save me money for a dependent which is going to be 686 pounds from 6 April 2011.

Thanks is advance,
Linearkieran

psdesai
BANNED

Re: ILR or MN1 form for my 3 year old son

Post by psdesai » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 pm

linearkieran wrote:Dear Moderators,

I got my HSMP after 3 April 2006 but before November 2006. Hence I had to apply for an extension and convert my HSMP to Tier 1 visa. Very soon my visa will run out and will need to apply for ILR. I have my wife staying with me. We have a son who was born here in 2008. Both my dependents.

2) Apply with only my wife and when we get ILR (and if we get ILR), apply for registration of citizenship for my son soon as we get ILR. (Thanks for the help from this forum...I could find this information from this forum and UKBA website that my son will be eligible for citizenship after we get ILR)

In case if second option above is possible, what will be my son's status if we apply for his registration of citizenship as in section 1(3) using MN1 form and the authorised stay on his passport ends.

I want to go for this second option as it would save me money for a dependent which is going to be 686 pounds from 6 April 2011.

Thanks is advance,
Linearkieran
I have same query as this. Could anyone please share their thoughts?
"Freedom is your very nature. Only with freedom, do joy, generosity and other human values blossom. Without freedom, attitudes become stifling, concepts become a burden, information has no value and imagination becomes stagnant."

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Though the choice is yours but there is no requirement for a UK-born-child to be included in the settlement application of the parent (that the child is a dependant of).

For children born in the UK, immediately after a parent is granted settlement/PR, their child is entitled to register for British citizenship (Section 1(3)), irrespective of child's immigration status.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Where was your son born? In UK. If so then i think he can be registered for naturalisation after your get ILR. No need for him to be included in ILR.

with regards to his immigration statusm, i would have thought that like all visas as long as you apply before leave expires you should be ok.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 960#178960

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks both,

yes, my son was born here in UK...This clarifies my worries. Cheers.

helpneeded2011
Newly Registered

Post by helpneeded2011 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Just wondering where did you get the figure of 686 GBP...It is 675 GBP...Just curious since i am also in similar position.

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Sorry, it was my mistake it is 675. I got it mixed with the postal fees for dependent which is 486. Too worried about my application...just hope I don't make any mistake in filling in the actual form.

Thanks for pointing out though.

notsunny
Newly Registered

Post by notsunny » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks is advance,
Linearkieran

I was in the same situation 4 months ago. we did NOT include children in our ILR application and we did not have any issues.
yougest child did not even have a passport. not a single question asked during the PEO appoinment.

we then applied for citizenship using MN1 and received it 3 weeks.
hope this helps.

helpneeded2011
Newly Registered

Post by helpneeded2011 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm

notsunny wrote:

Thanks is advance,
Linearkieran

I was in the same situation 4 months ago. we did NOT include children in our ILR application and we did not have any issues.
yougest child did not even have a passport. not a single question asked during the PEO appoinment.

hope this helps.
Hi notsunny, Thanks for your reply. How soon did you apply for your childs MN1 registration after getting your ILR ? Also did you submit your passports with ILR stamped on it for your children's MN1 form. Did you apply by postal or NCS? Awaiting for your reply. These will help us a lot. Thanks

ALI74

Post by ALI74 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:54 pm

I am in the same situations to excludes my two UK born childern from ILR application ,but some solicitors suggests to get their ILR
so I am undecided and need assurance from some one who have gone through the process .
This would be appreciated by many applicants because the fees is 675 now ,which is a lot of money to save.

helpneeded2011
Newly Registered

Post by helpneeded2011 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 am

ALI74 wrote:I am in the same situations to excludes my two UK born childern from ILR application ,but some solicitors suggests to get their ILR
so I am undecided and need assurance from some one who have gone through the process .
This would be appreciated by many applicants because the fees is 675 now ,which is a lot of money to save.
Any idea why the solicitors are suggesting you to apply for your kid's ILR too? It is a matter of around 1350 GBP, which is a lot of money. Did you show them the eligibility rules when the kid is born in the UK?

ALI74

Post by ALI74 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

No there is no specific reasons, and they say its recommended to have all included.
I rang Home office today to confirm .The answer from settlement was that ideally I should include all at the same time , but if I apply at PEO & apply for the kids by post then ,I have to explain why I have not includied the kids when I was applying for ILR.
If I have to apply by post will cost 972 for each dependent.

The Advisor did not commented regarding MN1 & advised me to ring the Nationality Department.
I rang them and they say UK Born kids can apply using MN1.

PERSONALLY I THINK 95% PEOPLE APPLY FOR KIDS DURING ILR THAT IS WHY THIS CONFUSION.
Now as fees increased so we are thinking to excludes the kids .. but its just not people normally do and there is confusion.

sun_ilr

Post by sun_ilr » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi Ali,

are you sure about excluding children born in uk. beucase i gave been told yesturday i should include in ilr application. i am due to apply in nov. the problem is £675 i will spend for ilr dependent can be used for mn1 form and british passport. i dont want to leave it then i have to spend another £1350 for indivitual basis.

we ned some one who has gone through the process. is any one there who can help.
thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ilrdilemma
Newly Registered

Post by ilrdilemma » Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm

notsunny wrote:

Thanks is advance,
Linearkieran

hope this helps.
Hello, I am exactly in the same position. I am planning to apply for my and my wife's ILR and apply MN1 form for my UK born son. My only concern is that my son is currently on my tier 1 dependent visa. Once i get my ILR, what would be his status since he is my Tier 1 dependent ? Would this cause any problem for his citizenship registartion via MN1 form? We are not planning to travel out of UK. Were your kids dependent on your visa when you applied for their MN1. Please let me know. Will be very helpful.