ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

treaty period

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

machachari
Newly Registered

treaty period

Post by machachari » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I have a question i need clarification , if my wife goes to Ireland to excise treaty and i join her as a non eea, how long is she supposed to excise the treaty before we can come back to uk or how long am i supposed to excise the treaty,

regards

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:46 pm

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunati ... t#22947085 . There is no set time. It is the EEA national who exercises treaty rights.

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

When is a Union citizen/an EEA national deemed to be a worke

Post by eldane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 pm

I do not agree with TI86 regarding there's no time limit. I appreciate that UKBA is applying their interpretation but I am confident anybody who appeal their decision would win an appeal.

When is a Union citizen/an EEA national deemed to be a worker under EU law?

It depends on a concrete assessment of the specific circumstances of each case whether a Union citizen/an EEA national, including a British national, is deemed to be a worker under EU law. What is crucial is whether a person has had genuine and effective employment. Accordingly, employment appearing to be a mere marginal supplement is excluded from the scope of application of the concept. It is therefore normally a condition that the relevant employment was for at least 10-12 hours a week.

According to the jurisprudence of the European Court of Justice it is normally a requirement that the applicant has been employed for a minimum of 10-12 hours per week, see judgment Kempf (C-139/85) and Megner and Scheffel (C-444/93).

In the case of Kempf the employment in question was 12 hours per week, and in the case of Megner and Scheffel the European Court of Justice has ruled that paid employment where the working hours normally do not exceed 18, 12 or even 10 hours per week do not exclude that the person is regarded a worker under the EU legislation.

In the judgment of Genc (C-14/09) the European Court of Justice established criteria for the purposes of the concrete and individual assessment of whether an employment for less than 10-12 hours per week is genuine and effective. These criteria may be the entitlement to paid leave, remuneration during illness, the duration of the employment, and a collective agreement applies to the employment. The employment in the mentioned case was 5,5 hours per week.

The European Court of Justice did not consider whether a weekly employment of 5,5 hours was sufficient in order to be considered a worker under EU law, or whether the employment was of a merely marginal nature. It was left to the member state to undertake this evaluation.

It is not possible to fix a lower limit for the duration of the employment for assessment purposes.

The European Court of Justice ruled in Franca Ninni-Orasche (C-413/01) that a fixed-term contract of employment for ten weeks was sufficient for the applicant to be a worker under EU law. The case concerned educational grants and led to the issue of guidelines to the local authorities about when a person is deemed to be a worker. The guidelines concern employment relationships for which a short-term contract has been concluded in advance. The guidelines fix a minimum period of ten weeks for such situations. However, it should be emphasised that a concrete assessment must be made in each case.

Accordingly, a concrete and individual assessment must be made in each case, and the ten-week period fixed by the Court in the Ninni-Orasche judgment is thus only to be seen as an example of a situation in which ten weeks of employment were deemed to suffice.

A Union citizen/an EEA national who has permanent employment, but ceases working after less than ten weeks, may satisfy the conditions for being a worker under EU law in certain circumstances, while another person having worked for more than ten weeks may not always satisfy the conditions because it is not genuine work or for other reasons.

Best regards,
El danes
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I didn't say that there is no time limit. I should have been clearer in that but you have nicely filled that gap. It would be useful if you could provide links to the source of the quoted text.

machachari
Newly Registered

Post by machachari » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:07 pm

does it means if my British wife goes to republic of Ireland and i join her after one month and we decide to return to uk after she has stayed there working for 3months and I being there for one month we can qualify to apply under EU route?

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Post by eldane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm

machachari wrote:does it means if my British wife goes to republic of Ireland and i join her after one month and we decide to return to uk after she has stayed there working for 3months and I being there for one month we can qualify to apply under EU route?
Please understand it is not about YOU. It is about your EU spouse.

You "inherit" treaty rights on grounds of your spouse's status. So if she qualifies as a returning British citizen and enjoy the rights of the Surrinder Singh ruling you are all good.
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..