ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Work Permit to Tier 2 - Timeframe

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GUSHDEZ
Newly Registered

Switching from Work Permit to Tier 2 - Timeframe

Post by GUSHDEZ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi guys, I am looking for expert advice regarding my migration status.

I have a old work permit issue on Aug.2007 - expires on sept. 2012. Unfortunately I just made redundant by my sponsor, after 4 years of continuous employment. I found out from my lawyer that it was an unfair dismissal, therefore I am making a claim to the employment tribunal. (The lawyer told me I definitely will win the case, but it will take a few months).

I am 1 year away to be eligible to a permanent residency and I would like to switch to Tier 2 in order to complete the 5-years rule, in which case I have to find a new sponsor and make a fully new application.

1. How long do I have to get a new sponsor and apply for the Tier 2 and how long can I stay in the UK looking for a job?

2. and In case I cannot find a new job/new sponsor. Can I stay in the UK to defend my case before the employer tribunal?

3. Which is my migration status while I'm not working and looking for a job?

Any comments and advice would be really helpful.
Thanks a lot.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Re: Switching from Work Permit to Tier 2 - Timeframe

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm

GUSHDEZ wrote:Hi guys, I am looking for expert advice regarding my migration status.

I have a old work permit issue on Aug.2007 - expires on sept. 2012. Unfortunately I just made redundant by my sponsor, after 4 years of continuous employment. I found out from my lawyer that it was an unfair dismissal, therefore I am making a claim to the employment tribunal. (The lawyer told me I definitely will win the case, but it will take a few months).

I am 1 year away to be eligible to a permanent residency and I would like to switch to Tier 2 in order to complete the 5-years rule, in which case I have to find a new sponsor and make a fully new application.

1. How long do I have to get a new sponsor and apply for the Tier 2 and how long can I stay in the UK looking for a job?

i think standard is 2 weeks or is it 4 weeks?

2. and In case I cannot find a new job/new sponsor. Can I stay in the UK to defend my case before the employer tribunal?

3. Which is my migration status while I'm not working and looking for a job?
if UKBA curtail your visa, then your immigration status will be work permit holder for 2 weeks. After which you will become overstayer

Any comments and advice would be really helpful.

should you not be posing these questions infront of your lawyer???
Thanks a lot.