ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Indian visa in India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vinod_g
Newly Registered

Applying for Indian visa in India

Post by vinod_g » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi All,

Me and my wife just got our british nationality in January 2011. We are expecting our first baby in April (we plan to have the delivery in India) and will be applying for british passport for the baby in India, for which there is enough info on the web.
My query was regarding getting Indian visa for my baby whilst in India, as she will have a british passport. Does she need one? If so, has anyone has any experience in how to go about the same?
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Vin

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 am

We are expecting our first baby in April (we plan to have the delivery in India) and will be applying for british passport for the baby in India
Vin, how do you plan to get your baby from UK to India without a passport ?

If your baby gets a UK passport in the UK, then he/she (basically parents on his/her behalf) has to apply for a Visitor visa to India like any other visitor to India. I mention this because you will not have enough time (based on the trip you planned) to apply and get a PIO.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 pm

krazydude wrote:
We are expecting our first baby in April (we plan to have the delivery in India) and will be applying for british passport for the baby in India
As the OP mentions, the plan is for the child to be born in India.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
krazydude wrote:
As the OP mentions, the plan is for the child to be born in India.
I somehow skipped that line. :)

Apologies.

vinod_g
Newly Registered

Post by vinod_g » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Any suggestions?????????

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 am

If your baby gets born in India, you will get a birth certificate for him/her. He/she can stay in India on that birth certificate, till he/she gets the UK Passport.

Once he/she gets the UK Passport, you could apply for a PIO from India if you want and have the time.

If you want to travel back to the UK, then I think by producing the Indian birth certificate while leaving India should suffice. Entering UK should not be a hassle and getting a PIO from UK is a pretty straight forward process.

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 pm

One of my friend was in the same situation. He was asked to apply for a visa for the new born child in India after getting the British passport in BHC in India. The immigration officer in Chennai told that the new born should have a visa otherwise it will be illegal for the child to be in India even for a short while and will have problems with the immigration check during exit. He went on to apply for a tourist visa for the child at Chennai immigration office.