ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:05 pm

which uni are you in? that makes no sense anyway, even universities UK and the russell group suggested in the consultation that if PSW were to be changed, it should still be available for Masters and PHDs samr in the recommendations of the MAC, what u said is irrational, there are more international undergrad students that postgrads, the only thing that such could mean is that PSW might b only retained in undergrads under architechture and law, and fully for Masters and PHDs, for example
the universities that have complained the most are the ones with prestigious MBAs, anyway refrain from posting comments like this without a reliable source

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Ok, I shall speak to them (Bristol U) again soon. I'll demand more accurate info.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

Ha! More battle:

Cable's department is urgently pressing for a resolution to a dispute with the Home Office. The home secretary, Theresa May, has targeted student visas as a way of fulfilling promises to cut net immigration. The issue may go the cabinet within the next fortnight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... rsity-fine

So no announcement til at least I say April lol, this is past becoming worrisome, now its just stupid and hilarious

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 am

tusso wrote:Ha! More battle:

Cable's department is urgently pressing for a resolution to a dispute with the Home Office. The home secretary, Theresa May, has targeted student visas as a way of fulfilling promises to cut net immigration. The issue may go the cabinet within the next fortnight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... rsity-fine

So no announcement til at least I say April lol, this is past becoming worrisome, now its just stupid and hilarious

These people seem completely lost... they announce consultation, they ask committes to investigate... and then, they issue their own proposals against all that, disregarding input? Lol.

Here is the catch... since they launched the consultation, they are legally OBLIGED to take into consideration the responses from us, when making decisions, otherwise we can challenge everything very easily. If we can prove that consultation was rigged-which Penningtons point to, and that our input was disregarded-which is the case if they make rash decisions against us etc.

Now, I don't know results from cons... but everyone wants TA I assume...

Regarding the restriction of PSW to Masters and Phd, or whatever... I remind you that undergrads spend more money here, and time, to get a base degree. In my opinion, nobody should be excluded.

If they are to do that, they should give TA.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 am

Oh well, this whole thing is absolutely confusing and stress full. I won’t recommend any future student to come in this country.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 am

Tier 4 wrote:Oh well, this whole thing is absolutely confusing and stress full. I won’t recommend any future student to come in this country.
Exactly, some people put their life savings into this, and plan 3+ years ahead, whereas it seems here everything can change in a day, and you are sc..... you know.

All this, + exam stress, is all we need now. Mr Green is basically saying, we have no idea what we'll do, we might disregard everyone, and we cna publish it tmrw, or in 3 months... who knows.

Maybe go to Canada, Australia etc. where people are more welcome, and not looked upon as enemies of public... lol.

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Guys i thank you all for sharing your thoughts, knows and suggestions. It has been highly helpful. I just need to ask two questions regarding the 3months bank statement and the £800 maintenance fee.

1. Do we still need to keep the maintenance fee above £800 even after the application is made? or we dont need to bother with that after the 3 months bank statement is printed out and ready for application.
2. for how long can the bank statement dated before sending the application?

I hope i am clear with my questions. I just want to make sure everything is in order and block any loopholes for rejection.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

cruxifixo wrote:Guys i thank you all for sharing your thoughts, knows and suggestions. It has been highly helpful. I just need to ask two questions regarding the 3months bank statement and the £800 maintenance fee.

1. Do we still need to keep the maintenance fee above £800 even after the application is made? or we dont need to bother with that after the 3 months bank statement is printed out and ready for application.

I hope i am clear with my questions. I just want to make sure everything is in order and block any loopholes for rejection.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/

Read the policy guidance for all your inquiries.

You should keep it above 800 until your get visa. You don't have to, but in the case of a denial it could prove useful.

Your second question is very easily answered by reading the guidance. Bank statements cannot be dated more than 1 month prior to application.

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
cruxifixo wrote:Guys i thank you all for sharing your thoughts, knows and suggestions. It has been highly helpful. I just need to ask two questions regarding the 3months bank statement and the £800 maintenance fee.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/

Read the policy guidance for all your inquiries.

You should keep it above 800 until your get visa. You don't have to, but in the case of a denial it could prove useful.

Your second question is very easily answered by reading the guidance. Bank statements cannot be dated more than 1 month prior to application.
Thanks mate.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

The Home Affairs Committee will publish its report on Student Visas on Thursday 17 March at 00.01am (Seventh Report, Session 2010-11, HC 773). Electronic embargo copies will be sent out to witnesses from 10.00am, Wednesday 16 March; interested parties should request copies from the Committee at: homeaffcom@parliament.uk<mailto:homeaffcom@parliament.uk>. Copies will be available in the Press Gallery, House of Commons on the day of publication.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ent-visas/
N/A

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

god on the day i am applying.

this is just recommendations on their part, correct?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:31 pm

it wont get approved/rubber-stamped until atleast 5th april, im pretty certain of that

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

arsenal49 wrote:it wont get approved/rubber-stamped until atleast 5th april, im pretty certain of that
but what is it? this is not an announcement of the changes, right? it's just their input on what should be done...correct?

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Finger crossed..let see wht TA has been keept fr us by ths governmnt.
Best of luck.
Hope to see good results
God bless

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm

luckylondon wrote:Finger crossed..let see wht TA has been keept fr us by ths governmnt.
Best of luck.
Hope to see good results
God bless
As far as I know, no change will be announced tomorrow. This is simply the committee's report with their recommendations as to what the best course of action is. This is not the official announcement we have all been waiting for; rather, just the committee's own proposals.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

They say "report on Student Visas".

Maybe they mean Tier 4 Student Visas? :roll:

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 pm

sehmett wrote:They say "report on Student Visas".

PSW included its the enquiry done by MPs but it is of extreme importance to our cause their PSW recommendation, since they are an important source of legitimacy, most likely they will b in favour of PSW since for the enquiries that i saw all of the mps didnt think it was bad and ministers couldnt counter argue unis... jlewis.... dude stop freakin out u will be fine even if the gov also announced on thursday its decision it needs some time to come into effect,

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 pm

tusso wrote:
sehmett wrote:They say "report on Student Visas".

PSW included its the enquiry done by MPs but it is of extreme importance to our cause their PSW recommendation, since they are an important source of legitimacy, most likely they will b in favour of PSW since for the enquiries that i saw all of the mps didnt think it was bad and ministers couldnt counter argue unis... jlewis.... dude stop freakin out u will be fine even if the gov also announced on thursday its decision it needs some time to come into effect,
yes im quite calm, aside from the crap im getting from my bank.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
luckylondon wrote:Finger crossed..let see wht TA has been keept fr us by ths governmnt.
Best of luck.
Hope to see good results
God bless
As far as I know, no change will be announced tomorrow. This is simply the committee's report with their recommendations as to what the best course of action is. This is not the official announcement we have all been waiting for; rather, just the committee's own proposals.
So, this is likely to continue rolling... they seem to disagree heavily in the cabinet, also.

However, if the suggestions are good for us, it is still very good news.

We have to be prepared for court quickly. I suggest we "hold our finger on the button".

The attitude of this govt to honest students is disgusting... worse thna illegals.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 am

I can understand the frustration of students expecting to be granted psw visa in future. I hope you all get alteast some sort of transitional arrangements.

But personally, I wouldn't trust government as they have made it much harder for those who are on PSW to stay in this country. I'd be disgusted if they scarped the psw scheme but I won't be surprised.

I switched from psw to tier 1 general just last week and I had to endure so much frustration. I was so close to qualify to tier 1 with earnings of £20,000 last year in April but government changed the salary bands meaning I needed £30,000 after changes. Then lib-dem government raised the points criteria in June, meant I needed £35,000+ to qualify. While at same time, they kept the requirements same for those who were already on tier 1.

I wish you all good luck.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 am

Celtic wrote:I can understand the frustration of students expecting to be granted psw visa in future. I hope you all get alteast some sort of transitional arrangements.

But personally, I wouldn't trust government as they have made it much harder for those who are on PSW to stay in this country. I'd be disgusted if they scarped the psw scheme but I won't be surprised.

I switched from psw to tier 1 general just last week and I had to endure so much frustration. I was so close to qualify to tier 1 with earnings of £20,000 last year in April but government changed the salary bands meaning I needed £30,000 after changes. Then lib-dem government raised the points criteria in June, meant I needed £35,000+ to qualify. While at same time, they kept the requirements same for those who were already on tier 1.

I wish you all good luck.
couldn't you have switched to tier 2?

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:45 am

jlewisunh wrote: couldn't you have switched to tier 2?
From my understanding, an employer has to sponsor employee for tier 2 visa. Not every employer would go through the hassle of applying for a visa for an employee.

I work for a FTSE 100 company and they don't sponsor employees on tier 2.

Ps, someone on tier 2 can't have more than 2 jobs, no self employment opportunity and can only take up employment with employers who have certificate of sponsorship.

Imagine tier 2 holder and tier 1 holder going for same job at a startup company or for any company for that matter of fact. Who would have an advantage?

At the end of day, government have done nothing for those so called brightest and best people who completed higher education at UK, infact making even harder for them to stay here.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 am

Celtic wrote:
jlewisunh wrote: couldn't you have switched to tier 2?
From my understanding, an employer has to sponsor employee for tier 2 visa. Not every employer would go through the hassle of applying for a visa for an employee.

I work for a FTSE 100 company and they don't sponsor employees on tier 2.

Ps, someone on tier 2 can't have more than 2 jobs, no self employment opportunity and can only take up employment with employers who have certificate of sponsorship.

Imagine tier 2 holder and tier 1 holder going for same job at a startup company or for any company for that matter of fact. Who would have an advantage?

At the end of day, government have done nothing for those so called brightest and best people who completed higher education at UK, infact making even harder for them to stay here.
I agree with your last statement 100%. I have a MA from university of london and never thought it would be this complex/stressful just to get a work visa.

re tier 2- as i understand it, if you get a job on a psw visa with a company that is already listed on the registry and has a cos, you can switch easily as long as the company wants to keep you. in country switches are not affected by the cap.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 am

celtic presumably works in highly dynamic world.

for people in that sort of situation, tier 1 is definitely something that gives them freedom to move companies, work on their own etc etc and they are not SLAVE ,if you like, to the tier 2 sponsor.

As one case suggest here, the guy was made redundant after 4 years of empoyment (tier 2) and he has got 2 weeks to find another job! or he has to go back home.

Thats not fair in my eyes who has pretty much build his life in UK, paid taxes, contributed to the economy and now being told get out!

thats why tier 1 OWNS tier 2 everytime. but no more tier 1. ho hum.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm

arsenal49 wrote:celtic presumably works in highly dynamic world.

for people in that sort of situation, tier 1 is definitely something that gives them freedom to move companies, work on their own etc etc and they are not SLAVE ,if you like, to the tier 2 sponsor.

As one case suggest here, the guy was made redundant after 4 years of empoyment (tier 2) and he has got 2 weeks to find another job! or he has to go back home.

Thats not fair in my eyes who has pretty much build his life in UK, paid taxes, contributed to the economy and now being told get out!

thats why tier 1 OWNS tier 2 everytime. but no more tier 1. ho hum.
I mentioned this one also... it is true that even big companies, they don't want to sponsor you. Most, if not 90% require you to have your own permit or unlimited rights to work... otherwise they don't even consider you.

That is true. I've applied to some positions, answer to come back when i have psw etc. or couldn't even apply. Only handful of companies sponsor, and now, the job situation is very bad. Also, Tier 2 is extremely insecure... as said.

I hoep we get psw. We have to be united. We have extremely good basis for court here if we don't. Refer to Penningtons report for points...