ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Careerwise is it good to stay in US or go to UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukvisa2011
Newly Registered

Careerwise is it good to stay in US or go to UK

Post by ukvisa2011 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:19 pm

I am on H1 B in US working for a reputed US company.
My wife is on Tier 1 in UK working in UK. She cannot come to US and start working immediately due to Oct 1 start date for H1 visa. Therefore I was thinking of getting a Tier 1 in UK , relocating to UK and starting a job there.

I wanted to ask you all if this is a good career move ? Should I leave US and move to UK ? Are job opportunities for Software engineers better in US or UK ?

Thanks !

sharbt_hvr

Post by sharbt_hvr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 pm

uk->us is ok
us->uk not ok according to many who have worked in us

jason23

Post by jason23 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 am

Unless you would like to come as her dependent, please note fresh applications for tier 1 close on April-5th indefinitely.

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 pm

US has a much broader market than UK. If you are in the financial sector UK market is good else US is anytime a safe bet.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Well, there are many factors to consider really but the word 'career prospects' is not right. No matter where you work, once you have local domain experience you will grow. As long as its a developed country or a country on the fast track in a field like India in IT, you will always have a career and be as successful as you want to be

The next thing to consider is work life balance and salaries one can get. It is well known in the UK that a majority of the companies allow you to have a personal life. Mostly work is 9-5 unless at times where its required to stay back to sort issues or a late night project go live which is same all over the world be it UK or the US. Importance is given to personal time, employees with kids have many benefits and options of flexible working. There is a lot of respect at the work place which UK is very well known. You dont need to put with any constant long hours without extra pay or bullying at work etc....

Salary packages are really down to the individual. If you are in a domain that has demand and a well experienced guy with say over 5 years min, then you can look at jobs paying in the region of £50k to £80k. More senior the role, bigger the company and even better the pay. I have friends who are 32 and earning £90k plus bonus and allowances which is approx $153k - but Im not sure if this is good or great in the US. Companies like E&Y, Deloitte, Accenture, IBM and so many smaller outfits pay a lot - and this is just IT. Financial institutions pay a lot more and doctors here live in luxury :-)

You have to note that very similar to the US, getting these jobs need that extra skill and once again all this is the same be it US or UK.

Your life choices, what you like to do outside of work, the weather, facilities and benefits the country gives, visa issues and long term goals all play a part in deciding if you want to move to the UK or not - career progression in itself is similar in the UK and US as both countries are a hub for the best companies, there is global exposure and there are opportunities to make a name for yourself

KP