ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm

tusso wrote: how do u know the home affairs committee has published it in our favor? do u have a copy of the report?
Yes indeed I have because:

Electronic embargo copies has been sent out to witnesses since 10.00am, Wednesday 16 March

And

This is not to be published or broadcast in any form before 00.01 on Thursday 17 March 2011.
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tusso wrote: how do u know the home affairs committee has published it in our favor? do u have a copy of the report?
Yes indeed I have because:

Electronic embargo copies has been sent out to witnesses since 10.00am, Wednesday 16 March

And

This is not to be published or broadcast in any form before 00.01 on Thursday 17 March 2011.
Fair enough, I'll wait and cheers on the heads up!

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Oh, tell me I am not dreaming... and it's all true

I have already prepared to go to London to meet with you and lawers ))

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm

sehmett wrote:Oh, tell me I am not dreaming... and it's all true

So, is that it, we have it? :) I can't bel it's over...?

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 pm

fibreman wrote:

Yes, it is black or white written by Home Office.

tusso

Post by tusso » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 pm

fibreman wrote:

Sorry guys :(
ttp://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/ ... ws/sop.pdf

Tier 1 (Post Study Work)
was the subject of our recent consultation on the
student routes and our plans for this route will be
announced in line with the wider student package.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 pm

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:

Sorry guys :(
ttp://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/ ... ws/sop.pdf

Tier 1 (Post Study Work)
was the subject of our recent consultation on the
student routes and our plans for this route will be
announced in line with the wider student package.

Ah, I knew it was too early... they still want to sc... us! But, atl, guys, the committee report is in our favor... smth atl.

tusso

Post by tusso » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Yeah come on, so far things have gone from worse to better, we need patience and the Committee's report is an important step to this since it strengthens our case, and will provide a backing from Unis and MPs so WE ARE NOT ALONE

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 pm

nooooo :( :(
Last edited by sehmett on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm

tusso wrote:Yeah come on, so far things have gone from worse to better, we need patience and the Committee's report is an important step to this since it strengthens our case, and will provide a backing from Unis and MPs so WE ARE NOT ALONE
Yes, we have to continue being patient, and be ready to fight... with positive report, we have even stronger case if need be to go to courts.

tusso

Post by tusso » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 pm

fibreman wrote:
tusso wrote:Yeah come on, so far things have gone from worse to better, we need patience and the Committee's report is an important step to this since it strengthens our case, and will provide a backing from Unis and MPs so WE ARE NOT ALONE
Yes, we have to continue being patient, and be ready to fight... with positive report, we have even stronger case if need be to go to courts.
There's far too much political pressure on the home office now so this is good :)

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:
There's far too much political pressure on the home office now so this is good :)
I'm 99% certain now that we'll get atl TA... pressure seems extreme, as well as threats of courts... they can't bypass us anymore. They shoudl start thinking bout illegals, not skilled people...

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am

a friend passed me a document that she got from somewhere titled

Home Office UK Border Agency (with official logo). Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) of the Point Based System - Policy Guidance

and at the bottom of this document is This guidance is to be used for appilcations made on or after 6 April 2011

Is this the latest ? In the document, I see nothing changed .. still 2 years, undergraduate/postgraduate degree ..

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:13 am

ginger_beer wrote:a friend passed me a document that she got from somewhere titled

Home Office UK Border Agency (with official logo). Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) of the Point Based System - Policy Guidance

and at the bottom of this document is This guidance is to be used for appilcations made on or after 6 April 2011

Is this the latest ? In the document, I see nothing changed .. still 2 years, undergraduate/postgraduate degree ..
Where did u get that from?
Not sure what's happening here...

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 am

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 am

ermm .. from someone i know who got it from some other website or discussion board .. it looks pretty official though ..

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 am

fibreman wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:a friend passed me a document that she got from somewhere titled

Where did u get that from?
Not sure what's happening here...

Home Affairs Committee report is out! yeah they are on our favor, even though they have some suggestions to change PSW, they ultimately say to keep it that way and DO recommend for TA for current students! This is very good news

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 am

New policy guidance - effective 06-Apr-11

inside there's nothing special .. just the same as the old PSW
Last edited by ginger_beer on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 am

Recommendations regarding Tier 1 (PSW) by the Home Affairs Select Committee in their report on student visas
58. We understand the reasoning behind the proposal to close the Post Study Work route but its importance in terms of attracting international students and its use as a method of gaining work experience for certain degrees should not be underestimated. We would ideally suggest that the system be maintained, in the light of the use of poststudy work options to attract the best students by our main competitors in the higher education sector. However, if it is to be reformed, we recommend that the government give careful consideration to either a) introducing a six month visa to look for work with the possibility of an extension of 18 months if the applicant has received the offer of skilled work or is a director of a company which has two full-time equivalent employees; b) limiting the number of institutions whose qualifications entitle the holder to post study work; and c) given concerns about maintaining UK competitiveness in STEM research, exempt STEM graduates from new restrictions until the domestic market is sufficiently robust.

59. We recommend that any changes to the Post-Study Work route be implemented for students arriving in the new academic year, and do not affect those students who already have visas; they had a legitimate expectation that the post-study work route would be available to them after their studies. We also recommend that the route is examined for its impact on UK employment rates by the Migration Advisory Committee on an annual basis. We further recommend an examination which includes scrutinising the number of institutions whose students are eligible to apply for a PostStudy Work visa.
Refer to para(s) 49 - 57 for witness feedback.
Last edited by geriatrix on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 am

frankly, the recommendations are fairly favourable to us .. :)

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

ginger_beer wrote:New policy guidance - effective 06-Apr-11

inside there's nothing special .. just the same as the old PSW
Yes, true... it is official? The document even says from april... does that mean the decision has been made already? Why woudl it be up otherwise? i'm confused...

anyway, yes, recs are very favourable to us...

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 am

IF TA are applied, we will be fine.

To be honest, 6 months visa to look for work is crap!! It takes one-two months to get visa. You pay a lot. And then, applying again to get the further 1.5 year visa. You are sitting without passport and can't travel. What if it takes longer - 7 months to find a dream work?

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

if the 6 months visa happens .. of course you can start to look for work immediately upon finishing your study but before the official graduation .. that way the actual time available is actually more than 6 months, close to 8 months actually

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

ginger_beer wrote:if the 6 months visa happens .. of course you can start to look for work immediately upon finishing your study but before the official graduation .. that way the actual time available is actually more than 6 months, close to 8 months actually
True, but I still don't understand that document you posted... clearly says april? Hmm...

Well, I don't think we need to worry about that... I think we'll get our TA, what happens with other changes, well, give ta to all current students...

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Guys, ginger is right, check this... again

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... y/applying

Tier 1 (Post-study work) policy guidance - valid until 5 April 2011
PDF 339KB opens in a new window

Tier 1 (Post-study work) policy guidance - valid from 6 April 2011

new one has been posted, as said... Is the same... why is it up, if changes are to be made?