ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

What I don't get is how they can grant a visa with a certain set of rules and then change the rules at any given point not in our favor. We paid for a visa expecting to get the two years plus all of the added abilities that come with it.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 am

[quote="ginger_beer"]if the 6 months visa happens .. of course you can start to look for work immediately upon finishing your study but before the official graduation .. that way the actual time available is actually more than 6 months, close to 8 months actually[/quote]

yes, but I mean a process. Too much bureaucracy and additional expences!

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 am

[quote="jlewisunh"]What I don't get is how they can grant a visa with a certain set of rules and then change the rules at any given point not in our favor. We paid for a visa expecting to get the two years plus all of the added abilities that come with it.[/quote]

it means aglo-saxon law. One more proof that Roman law is better and noone invented better system than they did. That's why in continental Europe it can't happen. \New changes there - for "new" people.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 am

I'm lost, guys...

one document here contradicts another? We have clearly dated psw guidance from april, new, same as old- statetement that nothing changes in psw... then a statement that further changes will be announced??

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 am

You are right. Better to wait for an official announcement.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 am

fibreman wrote:I'm lost, guys...

one document here contradicts another? We have clearly dated psw guidance from april, new, same as old- statetement that nothing changes in psw... then a statement that further changes will be announced??
Where does it say that policy guidance - effective 06-Apr-11 - is valid until infinity? It is valid from 06-Apr-11 until further change(s) dictate a new version to be published. The changes have been announced today and, efficiently, UKBA has published the new policy guidance in light of those changes. Further changes will dictate further publications.

Just because a new policy guidance has been issued doesn't mean that the government cannot make further changes. The day(s) government makes further changes to Tier 1 (PSW) immigration rules, you may find new policy guidance(s) being issued.

Don't see where the contradiction is ....
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 am

fibreman wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:i think you guys are a bit too hard on tier 2. if you get a job with a company already registered, you can switch into tier 2 as long as the company will sponsor. if you do a good job at work, they'd have no reason not to sponsor you.
That's true, if you have worked for them and been able to prove yourself... maybe... but without psw and chance to actually start work, it's thin ice.

Most will not even consider you. That's reality. I was even told to get back to one company after I get psw...
lol this made me laugh! why would you even attempt to apply for a job without a work visa!! :-)

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 am

thn why wuld had homoffce...takn out tht new policy guidnce of 06th aprl....cant thy simply use the same old policy guidnce upto 6th april...upto infnty....if thy really had to make some chnges in future...thr shuld really some purpose to brng out new policy guidnce if thrs any change...

So upto whn we wuld be able to knw the final decision..?

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 am

Andrew Humphrey, the UKCISA qualified immigration adviser who spoke recently at International Futures, has confirmed that no changes are being made to Post-Study Work visas.

The announcement came today from the UK Borders Agency. In their Statement of Changes, page 57 , it confirms at para 7.9

No changes, other than those set out in 7.16 and 7.17 below, are being made to the Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) category, which caters for international graduates who have studied in the UK and wish to work following their graduation.

This will be a major relief to many students who were concerned they would not be able to apply to work in the UK after graduating. It also means that international students remain attractive to employers.

http://internationalfutures.wordpress.c ... sa-update/

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 am

luckylondon wrote:thn why wuld had homoffce...takn out tht new policy guidnce of 06th aprl....cant thy simply use the same old policy guidnce upto 6th april...upto infnty....if thy really had to make some chnges in future...thr shuld really some purpose to brng out new policy guidnce if thrs any change...

So upto whn we wuld be able to knw the final decision..?
They have released new policy guidance because they have already made some minor changes to PSW

See page 10 of this document

It doesn't mean they are not going to make any further changes to PSW because the changes announced yesterday are largely the result of a separate consultation on limiting non EU migration.

The proposed substantive changes PSW was part of the student/tier 4 consultation - they are two separate consulations. The Home Affairs Select Committee has only just released its report so the changes to Tier 4/Tier 1 PSW are yet to be announced.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 am

Greenie wrote:The proposed substantive changes PSW was part of the student/tier 4 consultation - they are two separate consulations. The Home Affairs Select Committee has only just released its report so the changes to Tier 4/Tier 1 PSW are yet to be announced.
As far as I know there was only one consultation which closed on 31stof January, on which all the Universities, Colleges and Students were dancing on, and we need the result of that one.
N/A

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
Greenie wrote:The proposed substantive changes PSW was part of the student/tier 4 consultation - they are two separate consulations. The Home Affairs Select Committee has only just released its report so the changes to Tier 4/Tier 1 PSW are yet to be announced.
As far as I know there was only one consultation which closed on 31stof January, on which all the Universities, Colleges and Students were dancing on, and we need the result of that one.
exactly. there is currently another one open though, right? something to do with Scotland.

what i can't figure out is the language. it says no changes are made to the psw visa. what about the benefits that come with the visa currently, ie, switching to tier 2 (rather easily now compared to what the future holds). if im on psw today, i would like to feel secure that the rules in place at the time of the granting of my visa are the ones that govern the visa for its duration.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:10 pm

jlewisunh wrote: Switching to tier 2 (rather easily now compared to what the future holds). if im on psw today, i would like to feel secure that the rules in place at the time of the granting of my visa are the ones that govern the visa for its duration.
I won’t recommend this country after availing PSW.

Move to Canada or whatever if you don’t want to stuck in the middle of hippocratic, bureaucratic and ill planned rules.
N/A

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Tier 4 wrote:

No, there was another consultation called

Limits on non-EU economic migration which closed in September 2010. The changes announced yesterday follow that consultation.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... migration/

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 pm

cruxifixo wrote:Andrew Humphrey, the UKCISA qualified immigration adviser who spoke recently at International Futures, has confirmed that no changes are being made to Post-Study Work visas.

The announcement came today from the UK Borders Agency. In their Statement of Changes, page 57 , it confirms at para 7.9

No changes, other than those set out in 7.16 and 7.17 below, are being made to the Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) category, which caters for international graduates who have studied in the UK and wish to work following their graduation.

This will be a major relief to many students who were concerned they would not be able to apply to work in the UK after graduating. It also means that international students remain attractive to employers.

http://internationalfutures.wordpress.c ... sa-update/
As has already been explained, this does not mean that changes will not be made to PSW in the future. It just means that no substantive changes have been made following the other consultation on non-EU migration. See link in my post above.

The proposed changes to PSW were proposed as part of the student immigration consultation and the government is yet to announce their policy following the close of this consultation.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm

so whn we could knw the final answr on psw

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 pm

luckylondon wrote:so whn we could knw the final answr on psw
when the government makes its announcement. We don't know when that will be yet.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Greenie wrote:
luckylondon wrote:so whn we could knw the final answr on psw
when the government makes its announcement. We don't know when that will be yet.
So I thought, we have to hold on again... Though, given consultation results, and commitee report, all is positive for us.

I think we'll get our TA, that's what we're fighting for, right? whether hey close it later... well, we can't affect that.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Exactly!! We demand TA for the current students!

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:52 pm

sehmett wrote:Exactly!! We demand TA for the current students!
Demand of TA should be base on visa issue date not on the degree awarding date.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
sehmett wrote:Exactly!! We demand TA for the current students!
Demand of TA should be base on visa issue date not on the degree awarding date.
Fair enough... all the same to me. Degrees have various lengths, and also, some people extend studies because of problems, or fail etc. this shoudl be taken into account.

I'm not sure, though, whether they are willing to cover all dates... that's many students to be covered. But they should.

upslaysee
Newly Registered

Post by upslaysee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Is it not finalized yet that no changes are going to be made?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 am

upslaysee wrote:Is it not finalized yet that no changes are going to be made?

No. I think, however, that even if announced, changes won't affect ppl this year anyway... and there will be TA. But we'd all like definite news.

tusso

Post by tusso » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 pm

fibreman wrote:
upslaysee wrote:Is it not finalized yet that no changes are going to be made?

No. I think, however, that even if announced, changes won't affect ppl this year anyway... and there will be TA. But we'd all like definite news.
Would be far too harsh and arbitrary for changes to affect people currently studying, I just think that for the sake of avoiding further conflict government will give TA

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 pm

No one knows when these evidence session's will stop and when we will be knowing for sure :?

"In this one-off evidence session on student visas, the Committee will hear from university, business and Ministers."

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... -stu-visa/