ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Driver License for US License holders

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tech
Member of Standing

UK Driver License for US License holders

Post by tech » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:32 am

Kayalmi and experts.

What is the process for US license holder to get UK license ?
Provisional (without "L "board) --> Full

Can VRO (Vechile registration office) process application for provisional
license ?

Your comments are appreciated

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:20 am

This link and the DVLAsite in general give you all the info you need.

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:11 pm

I heard that some Americans manage to exchange their driving licences to Belgian ones. Apparently there is a reciprocal agreement between the USA and Belgium (no such agreement exists between the US and the UK) As an EU licence, a Belgian driving licence is perfectly equivalent to a UK one.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tech
Member of Standing

license exchange

Post by tech » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:25 pm

Looks like canadian license can be exchanged but not US one.
Does any body know about VRA accepting applicaiton for provisional license?

Kayalmi and experts, you repsonse is highy appreciated.

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:06 am

The process is quite simple:

1. Get a provisional licence.

2. Pass a theory test.

3. Pass a practical test.

4. Apply for a full driving licence.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tech
Member of Standing

VRA

Post by tech » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:28 pm

Ayn thoughts on applyng Provisional license using Vechile Registration Agency ?

I heard they can process the provisional applications. (check your Identification,accept fess etc)It sounded like good option. we don't have send your passport by mail.

Share your experience.

Thanks

marr1a
Newly Registered

Post by marr1a » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:35 pm

Hi, I went through this last year. I had a Virginia license which was expiring and needed to switch to a UK license as my auto insurance company would no longer accept my US license...especially since it was expiring. I had driven in the US for 20 years before moving here.

Very expensive and time consuming steps to take to get a UK license:
- Make an appt on-line for your written test which now includes a hazard perception video test. The hazard video is not the best quality so checking with BSM to 'test drive' them would be a good idea.
- Send your written pass cert, 2 passport size photos along with Provisional license application, dosh & your passport to the DVLA. Non-British nationalists can not use the Post Office service so you have to send your passport. They send you your provisional license.
- Apply as soon as possible for the 'practical' test - the lead times for appointments can be months in some areas. 12 weeks out where I live. you have to call and call and call as the line is often busy.
- Practise, practise, practise - learn to exagerate EVERY THING. Don't take your hands off the wheel, unless you are shifting. I recommend taking a few lessons - or getting someone to give you a practice test(s). Practise your 'back-up around the corner' maneuver a lot. Still can't work out why they require that here but hey, whatever.
- Pass your test, get certificate, send even more dosh to DVLA with the cert and they post your license back to you.

Good luck - it took me nearly 4 months to get thru it all due to getting appointments with DVLA/DSA. And to think I walked into the DMV in Maryland at 15 1/2 for a learner's permit, then just after my 16th bday for a driver's license. No waiting. No drama. A guy in my office just failed the practical test last week. The next slot for him is October.

Again, good luck

tech
Member of Standing

US driver license

Post by tech » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:11 am

Thanks marr1a for your detailed reply. It seems to me that US driver license does n't have any great significance in obtaining UK Driver license.

My US license is valid for another 3 years. Can I use my license to drive and buy car and insuarance. in UK ?

If the answer is Yes, I can relax a bit.

Eagerly waiting your response

User

Post by User » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:51 am

Its not easy with a foreign license.
The license application is a little tricky to appy for.
It asks for some one to sign your photograph and this someone must know you "Personally" for "at least 2 years in the UK".
And the person has to be someone only in the list provided by the DVLA - like bankers, accountants, MPs etc.

Trust me - no one from this list will be willing to sign and say they know you "Personally" for 2 years - they all will only know you on professional grounds.

Even your doctor won't be able to sign and say he knows you personally for 2 years.

I guess you will have to ask local DVLA for help.

The provisional license application is a little difficult to complete and send - with the above clause.

The most contradiction thing about the dvla law is that a foreigner cannot use his national license for more than one year in the UK. But at the same time you cannot apply for license unless some knows you personally for atleast 2 years in the UK. Silly - isn't it? :-)

Also if you stay in the UK for more than 2 years, and approach the local DVLA office to sign the application for you, they won't do it - if you approach them after 2 years of stay in the UK (it has to be within 2 years of arrival, if you need them to sign your photo in the application).

Good luck :-)

marr1a
Newly Registered

Post by marr1a » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:58 am

Here's a great site which will answer most of your questions - and you can read about all the misery :) others have gone through. You'll need to register to get into the driving/public transportation section, I believe.

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:35 am

Thanks for your response and info about the forum.

In order to circumvent in this catch-22 of knowing some one personally and avoid the hassle of sending passport by mail, I thought I could send my application as expalined below which I found while googling the internet.

1. you must take your application (your D1, D750, passport, passport photo, and fee) to a Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) in person.

2. The staff at the VRO verify your identity,accept correct fee and submit your application to the DVLA for you. This is actually good because they give your passport back right then.

After seeing your posts, I gave up on this one.

Let me know about your thoughts.

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:42 pm

It is illegal to drive in the UK without a UK licence after one year starting on the day you first become habitually resident. If you do drive you will be uninsured.

The above is a binding precedent case law (Flores).
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

User

Post by User » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi Tnavon,

Nobody here is trying to drive without a UK license. The posts here are for knowing the practical issues in applying for a UK driving license in UK and ways and means of applying for a UK driving license.

Everybody knows it is illegal to drive in UK without a UK driving license.

Do you know of any practical way of getting this signature on the Photograph while applying for the provisional driving license other than going to DVLA itself.

Because the fact is if somebody has stayed over 2 years in the UK, DVLA WILL NOT SIGN the photo for applying for a driving license.

I can hear you saying try appraoching your banker, solicitor, doctor, MP etc etc (which is on the apllication's "list of prescribed persons who can sign your photo") - but they all can only say (for most of us atleast) they know you professionally - not "Personally" as the application form requires.

Ironically the application also says, the person who is singing the form for your photograph, cannot be your friend or relative or your employer.

With this kind of condition, I guess who else is really left out as the person who knows you personally for a continuous period of 2 years and also is not your friend, relative or employer.

regards.

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:52 am

It is unfortunate that nobody was able to confirm what I posted in my earlier messages.

It looks like a straight forward approach to get a provisional license. If anybody could confirm about the viability of this, it could benefit lot of present and future forum members.

I request all the experts/ members to review the following information and share their thoughts.

1. you must take your application (your D1, D750, passport, passport photo, and fee) to a Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) in person.

2. The staff at the VRO verify your identity,accept correct fee and submit your application to the DVLA for you. This is actually good because they give your passport back right then.

Thanks for your time.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:59 am

Regarding the signing of the form by a British national, they only check the person who signs it up (by phoning or mailling them) at random or in 'dodgy' looking applications.

I personally gave my friend (not a banker, doctor or anything of the sort) to sign it and put his address. Got the license exchanged (it's one of the countries that this can be done for) without any hassle or the friend ever being contacted.

So...... ;)

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:00 am

Tech,

What you said is correct if you are resident in the Uk for no more than two years.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:00 am

tnavon & kawasaki1

Thanks for your repsonses.

I thought once VRO stafff sees you in person, verifies everything, I thought there is no need for signature.

tnavon, is it still necessary to get the signature?

If singnature is required, I am back to the square one except for mailng the passport.

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:05 pm

When you go to the VRO you DONT need to countersign your photograph by someone who knows you for two years. The VRO will verify that against your passport and will hand you the passport straight away. That's the way I did it.

I don't want to discourage you but the above is the easiest part of the job. The toughest part is to pass the practical test, which is long (ca. 42 mins) and is very easy to fail.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tech
Member of Standing

URGENT

Post by tech » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:08 am

marr1a & other US drivers

Is it necessary to a get copy of your US driving records from s local DMV to apply for provisional license in UK

Thanks for your response.

marr1a
Newly Registered

Post by marr1a » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:24 pm

No. You are actually applying for a UK driver's license as if you are a brand new driver...hence the need to take all the tests. You are put into the same category as a 17yr British kid going for his/her first license. The hoops that you go through with the passport/character reference is, I believe, to justify to the DVLA that you are legally able to apply for a license in the UK. You could, for all intents and purposes, never have had a US license. If you were a from an EU or a commonweatlh country, they may require something like that...

rella

Post by rella » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:52 pm

tnavon wrote:I heard that some Americans manage to exchange their driving licences to Belgian ones. Apparently there is a reciprocal agreement between the USA and Belgium (no such agreement exists between the US and the UK) As an EU licence, a Belgian driving licence is perfectly equivalent to a UK one.
Ok... I'll bite... :D Any excuse to go drink beer and eat chocolate in Belgium is ok with me.

So, how does a U.S. citizen who is a UK resident get a Belgian license? When I look at Belgian requirements for a license, you have to be a resident of the country to exchange licenses.

I did see, though, it is just a straight, painless exchange of U.S. and UK licenses for a Belgian license. Everyone else has to suffer! Of course, here in the UK, it looks to be a complete pain... I don't see any way to get a Belgian license, unless you have residency there. If you have any other information to the contrary, please tell us. I'm game for a trip to Belgium.

rella