ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why not just go for 2 extensions - any thoughts please?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imprezasti

Why not just go for 2 extensions - any thoughts please?

Post by imprezasti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Chaps,

Just wanted to run this past you just to see if I am missing anything in the equasion....

We all heard horror stories of somebody who applied for a FLR towards the end of their current leave and, as it happens, due to some minor admin issue got their FLR application rejected then had to apply out of time or leave or whatever.......
Now, of course the solution to that would be to still try to apply within the remaining 28 days BUT first apply in person, while still leaving yourself enough time for if things do go wrong (so as to have a safety net of being able to file a postal application).
But there is a problem with that scenario - as all of you know, PEO appointments are hard to come by these days, which makes it a fairly difficult thing to try and get it within the early days of your 28 days period...

So, what I'm thinking is, why not simply apply EARLY (as in, well in advance of your leave expiry)? Yes, you will have to go for a second extension later on. But at least that will give you a safety net at a point of your extension, plus another one at a point of filing for ILR. Which is exactly what we need to make sure that no silly admin error can see us out of the country!

And yes, surely we would have to part with an additional amount of £££ for the pleasure. But I do know of a few people who had to spend a lot more in lawyers' fees trying to push through their Out of Time applications, initially rejected due to some silly little things!

Please through in your comments, any thoughts are welcome!!!

Thanks,

A

martincyy

Re: Why not just go for 2 extensions - any thoughts please?

Post by martincyy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 am

imprezasti wrote:Hi Chaps,

Just wanted to run this past you just to see if I am missing anything in the equasion....

We all heard horror stories of somebody who applied for a FLR towards the end of their current leave and, as it happens, due to some minor admin issue got their FLR application rejected then had to apply out of time or leave or whatever.......
Now, of course the solution to that would be to still try to apply within the remaining 28 days BUT first apply in person, while still leaving yourself enough time for if things do go wrong (so as to have a safety net of being able to file a postal application).
But there is a problem with that scenario - as all of you know, PEO appointments are hard to come by these days, which makes it a fairly difficult thing to try and get it within the early days of your 28 days period...

So, what I'm thinking is, why not simply apply EARLY (as in, well in advance of your leave expiry)? Yes, you will have to go for a second extension later on. But at least that will give you a safety net at a point of your extension, plus another one at a point of filing for ILR. Which is exactly what we need to make sure that no silly admin error can see us out of the country!

And yes, surely we would have to part with an additional amount of £££ for the pleasure. But I do know of a few people who had to spend a lot more in lawyers' fees trying to push through their Out of Time applications, initially rejected due to some silly little things!

Please through in your comments, any thoughts are welcome!!!

Thanks,

A
What I learned is that the new rules after 19/7/2010 will be implemented in the second extension. Maybe I am wrong.

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:44 am

I dont think the requirements for Ext2 will be any different. Here's the outtake from the yestrday's release:

The Tier 1 (General) rules were originally constructed to provide for one initial application and one extension per applicant. This does not cater adequately for migrants who wish to apply for a second extension, as they may find themselves subject to new, tighter requirements. Amendments are being made to the Tier 1 (General) points tables to ensure applicants who apply for a second extension continue to be subject to the same points requirements as they had to achieve in their previous application.

MPI

Re: Why not just go for 2 extensions - any thoughts please?

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 am

I think in extreme scenarios yes that’s the solution , but it’s not just the money you throwing down the bin here but the fact that naturally these processes are stressful .

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 am

You nailed it on the head there- by opting for the 2 extension route the stress levels should actually decrease- especially knowing that you will get a chance to rectify the situation should anything go wrong!

And of course, practice makes perfect! By the time you get to ILR you will be eating these applications for breakfast! 8)

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:23 am

Any views people? Just share whatever it is that you think on this subject!

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 am

If you can afford the extra fees, I think it is definitely worth applying early to make sure you always have plenty of time on your visa. HR usually gets very edgy as you come towards the expiry date even if you can prove that you have applied for an extension. Speaking from experience, it is very stressful to have visa uncertainty and work uncertainty at the same time.

Also, having extra time would be useful when it comes time to applying for ILR. If your Tier 1 expiry exactly matches when you are eligible for ILR, you will have to apply for ILR without delay. But if there is a family emergency that requires travel, work travel, .... it would be much better to have extra time still on Tier 1 so the ILR application could be delayed by a few weeks if necessary.

antony

Post by antony » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Also, Is it possible to go for more than 2 Extensions in Tier1 (by not applying for ILR)??

Seniors / Experts please provide your advice.
If the opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 pm

There is no limit in applying extension applications, so it is your own choice, if you do not want to go for ILR or any shortfall, just go for another extensions.