ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On spouse visa - end of relationship with British citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

On spouse visa - end of relationship with British citizen

Post by riya3612kapoor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm

hello
i got married 2 years ago and came to uk on a spouse visa. me and my husband who is a british citizen always had problems in our marriage mainly because of his family's interference. we lived in a joint family. because of all the mental pressures and tortures of his family and his own pressures i left my husband'd home a month ago. my inlaws dont want any relations with me now as i left their home. my husband wants to get remarried because he says that his marriage with me will automatically be resolved when i will go back to india. my spouse visa is expiring in a couple of months and i will have to go back to india as my husband will not apply for my extension to stay in uk. my major concern is that : will this marriage have no meaning when i will go back to india?? can my husband re marry so easily without getting a divorce from me?? is it really easy for a british citizen to just send back his indian wife and marry another woman?? please help me and advice me about how to stop my husband from re marrying....and is there anything i can do to extend my stay in uk ?? can i also file a divorce and am i entitled to any compensation from my existing husband?? plz advice

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Unless one is legally divorced, one remains married (even if legally separated).
riya3612kapoor wrote:and is there anything i can do to extend my stay in uk ??
Do you have child(ren) from this marriage?
riya3612kapoor wrote:can i also file a divorce
Yes, any partner may do so. AIUI, if you have been living in UK for more than a year you may be able to do so in UK. But doing so will not extend your permission to remain in the UK.
riya3612kapoor wrote:am i entitled to any compensation from my existing husband?? plz advice
Only if a court orders that you are entitled to any.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

Post by riya3612kapoor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:13 pm

thanks for addressing to my query. i dont have any children. my husband never wanted any children. my only biggest worry is that if i go back to india , can my husband get re married to another woman before getting legally divorced from me??

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm

riya3612kapoor wrote:i dont have any children.
In that case, there may be no option to extend your stay in the UK, unless you qualify for settlement as a victim of domestic violence.
riya3612kapoor wrote:can my husband get re married to another woman before getting legally divorced from me??
No. The family may just be trying to scare you by making any such claims (that he can legally marry (again) without divorcing you).

For a second marriage to be legally recognized, the first marriage must have been nullified.

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

Post by riya3612kapoor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:39 pm

what is the exact meaning of domestic violence? does it mean only physical violence? do mental tortures and mental stress also include in domestic violence?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm

SAKSHI007

help

Post by SAKSHI007 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I am in the same situation , however I have a daughter of 9month , but my husband is on ILR at the moment

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

Post by riya3612kapoor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm

hello sakshi....how r u dealing with the situation? what legal steps did u take to handle all this?? i have tried citizen advice bureau and a few other organizations...but they all only offer some advice.... i dont know how to go ahead...solicitors are too expensive...

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

Post by riya3612kapoor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

i have gone through the link which tells me about domestic violence....i m on my own ....my inlaws used me to work at their shop for 2 years but never applied for my national insurance number....because i dont have any NI number and also the fact that my vis ais expiring in 2 months...nobody is willing to offer me any work...i m in a very terrible situation coz i dont have any money to pay the solicitors...and the charity organizations are saying that it will take few weeks to offer me any accomodation and any legal help...but i m concerned coz i have very little time to put up my application...is there any help available to me in the country???? is there anyone who can help me to put up a case in the immigration??? is there any law in the country which can punish my husband and my inlaws for putting me in this dreadful situation??? is it so simple for a british citizen to abandon his indian wife ??? what legal actions can be taken in such a short period of time ?? plz help me!!!!

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey to both of you above you are not on your own there are people to support you . Why not look at this website
http://www.womensaid.org.uk/ and try and either call them on the number at the top 0808 2000 247 free phone or look on the right for local contacts.
many women have been through what you are experiencing and have managed to create a new life, it is possible. Clearly getting advice about your immigration status is important but so is your safety - women's aid should be able to point you to sources of legal aid and hopefully free information do not be afraid to seek help, you have the right to support and no one has the right to abuse you in any way.
pennyless

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:15 pm

You should also seek free legal representation on both your immigration and family law matters through the community legal advice scheme see:

http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/ ... search.jsp

riya3612kapoor
Newly Registered

Post by riya3612kapoor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:00 pm

hello again...i have tried all the organizations and after a great mental stress for one month i think there is no hope for me in uk....i think i should leave uk as soon as possible and go back to my home country....but what i really need to know now is : which authorities in uk should i inform that i m married to my husband from 2009 so that if he tries to re marry he should not be able to do so without legally divorcing me....is it possible for my husband to re marry before divorcing me legally even if i go back to india? i would like to inform that my marriage is registered in india and i do have the certificate of registration of my marriage ...but my husband didnot register our marriage in uk....does this mean that my marriage is not recognized in uk??? but i was granted visa on the basis of this marriage only as i came here on spouse visa...how should i restrict my husband to re marry in uk or elsewhere before getting legally divorced from me???