ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming tax from last 6 years

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cheekyvirgin

Claiming tax from last 6 years

Post by cheekyvirgin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:15 am

I want to claim tax rebate from last six year whether to check if i was overpaid.

Question is before July 2008 I was on student visa and working full time and paying taxes , just wondering if that gonna effect on my immigration status . As I'm aware inland revenue keep the tax information confidential.

I'm on tier1 at the moment.

Advice please.

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Claiming tax from last 6 years

Post by geriatrix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:38 am

cheekyvirgin wrote:Question is before July 2008 I was on student visa and working full time and paying taxes , just wondering if that gonna effect on my immigration status .
If you were in breach of any immigration / employment restrictions - at any time - during your stay in the UK, you may to bear the consequences as and when UKBA becomes aware of such breach(es). And if were indeed in breach, consider yourself lucky that UKBA hasn't become aware of those as yet. How long it may last, no one can tell you.

UKBA can request information from other government agencies, if need be (e.g. - when undertaking verification(s) or investigations) and such information, AIUI, is not denied under the pretext of "privacy".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

cheekyvirgin

Re: Claiming tax from last 6 years

Post by cheekyvirgin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
cheekyvirgin wrote:Question is before July 2008 I was on student visa and working full time and paying taxes , just wondering if that gonna effect on my immigration status .
If you were in breach of any immigration / employment restrictions - at any time - during your stay in the UK, you may to bear the consequences as and when UKBA becomes aware of such breach(es). And if were indeed in breach, consider yourself lucky that UKBA hasn't become aware of those as yet. How long it may last, no one can tell you.

UKBA can request information from other government agencies, if need be (e.g. - when undertaking verification(s) or investigations) and such information, AIUI, is not denied under the pretext of "privacy".
Thanks for your message. But do I have right to ask inland revenue to check if i was over paid ? Generally would it effect anything on my immigration status.

Regarding the employment while I was student that dud not cross the tax free annual limit amount.

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Sure, you have every right to check with HMRC if you paid more tax than you were liable of.

Will HMRC inform UKBA voluntarily? Unlikely. But can anyone say for sure? Don't think so.
But if UKBA asks for any such information from HMRC (hours worked, income and tax paid, etc.) with respect to an applicant, it is given.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!