ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 2 visa holder working as contractor along with main job

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eager2learn

tier 2 visa holder working as contractor along with main job

Post by eager2learn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am

Hi,
I am currently a tier 2 visa holder and now wish to switch into tier 1. I am showing income from my regular job as a university researcher as well as a supplementary income for another company for whom I have developed a software component for last 2 months. This company is in the consortium to a research project I have worked for last 2.5 years. However they pay me as a contractor and I have to pay the tax at the end of tax year which is April I guess. They have issued me a letter detailing these, the gross and net payment is same as I havent yet paid tax on it. I can also show the invoice if need be.(I have received no payslip)

My question is, will this letter and bank statement be sufficient to show for this income? I have got all payslips for my regular job, so no problem with that. It is this piece of income I am worried about. Tier 2 guidiance says I can engage in supplementary work as long as it is less than 20 hours and same professional level which I think is fine. But does this 'supplementary work' include contract works?

sshah20
Pakistan

Post by sshah20 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 am

in tier 2 you are stick to only one employer, income from other resources could seriously damage your tier1 application.

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:32 pm

sshah20 wrote:in tier 2 you are stick to only one employer, income from other resources could seriously damage your tier1 application.
Tier 2 guidiance says , tier 2 visa holders can work in supplementatry works as long as it is less than 20 hours, outside of working hours of the main job and in same professional level as the main job. I can give contacts in the university to verify that it was so. Will this company have to pay PAYE on me and also deduct NI and PAYE for me from the source?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: tier 2 visa holder working as contractor along with main

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:52 pm

A letter from research consortium will not work if the research consortium did not "employ" you as a contractor.

Have you registered a business entity to work as a contractor (self-employed)? Or are you a contractor who does not operate through a business or as an employee?

Read Tier 1 policy guidance to understand which combination of documents are accepted in such cases.

regards

NewFav
Newly Registered

Update?

Post by NewFav » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 am

Hello eager2learn,

How did you get on with your switch from T2 to T1.

I have got similar circumstances to yours and any tips would be useful.

Thanks.