ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Greenie wrote:I think you heard it right

see also

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... nt-changes
So its gonna be closed and open til April 2012???

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Greenie wrote:I think you heard it right

see also

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... nt-changes
Holy ^%&*, I can't believe it. They actually CLOSED PSW. Unbelievable. This is going to cause an uproar. Is it closed now?!?! Or just starting from April 2012?

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:03 pm

I do not understand, will we be able to apply? The current students I mean...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Major changes to student visa system wrote:The 'post study work route', which allowed students two years to seek employment after their course ended has been closed.
The grammatical tense in use makes me wonder if is an indication of closure very soon in the future (April 2011) or ... just a typo error.

Best to wait for more details to emerge.
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

sehmett wrote:I do not understand, will we be able to apply? The current students I mean...
Can't tell. Either she closed it effective immediately (or most likely will be after April 6th since changes have already been put in place for the other tiers) or it's open Until Next April 2012.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:07 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Major changes to student visa system wrote:The 'post study work route', which allowed students two years to seek employment after their course ended has been closed.
we need clarification, first. has been closed as of when? today? what about those who applied already and are waiting for an answer? there are lots of questions to be answered so we must wait.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
we need clarification, first. has been closed as of when? today? what about those who applied already and are waiting for an answer? there are lots of questions to be answered so we must wait.
I managed to get parliament TV working, she mentions a sort of hybird PSW is open...

gwagoo
Newly Registered

Post by gwagoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17 pm

I was watching it too.. What I heard was, it stays open as it is till 2012, and from then on only graduate level jobs can be taken in PSW, with additional requirements or something like that.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

as its already been pointed out.. the tense used in media news suggests april 2011.... but they surely CANT do that.. i mean what was the purpose of all those endless consultations if they wanted to go on and do it anyway this year...

It must be april 2012... i really hope... or there will be absolutely furore throughout the country in education sector, particularly from unis

This coalition has lost its head and direction..

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

where are u getting april 2011? either it is closed today effective immediately, which begs questions (what about those who already applied etc) or it's april 2012. right?

gwagoo
Newly Registered

Post by gwagoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Pretty sure they're not closing it. The shadow chancellor too mentioned that them not closing psw was a u turn.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

no, anyone who makes application before 5th April is fine....

The things suggested by govt. can only be applied from 6th april 2011 OR another arbitrary date onwards (most likely to be 6th April 2012)

Those who have outstanding app should breathe easy as this announcement doesnt really concern them!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm

gwagoo wrote:Pretty sure they're not closing it. The shadow chancellor too mentioned that them not closing psw was a u turn.
i guess everyone is feeling a bit twitchy cuz of the language they used in their press release... but i really hope your analysis is spot on... as i still have to see he speech

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:42 pm

gwagoo wrote:Pretty sure they're not closing it. The shadow chancellor too mentioned that them not closing psw was a u turn.
To quote Theresa May: "We will close the post-study work from april next year"
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... yer=smooth
look at 15:39

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm

arsenal49 wrote:
Those who have outstanding app should breathe easy as this announcement doesnt really concern them!
I just called WorldBridge visa service here in America. It's a UKBA affiliate that handles border queries here. They said they have heard nothing from the UKBA or Home office that it's closed. (and yes he also told me that even if they closed it effective today, applications paid for before today's date will be processed as normal).

I highly doubt it's closed altogether and am beginning to question the accuracy/language of the news story....

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:58 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
arsenal49 wrote:
I just called WorldBridge visa service here in America. It's a UKBA affiliate that handles border queries here. They said they have heard nothing from the UKBA or Home office that it's closed. (and yes he also told me that even if they closed it effective today, applications paid for before today's date will be processed as normal).

I highly doubt it's closed altogether and am beginning to question the accuracy/language of the news story....
PSW as it is will be closed and a sort of reformed PSW will come into effect April 2012, from what I saw students applying this year will be fine

gwagoo
Newly Registered

Post by gwagoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm

tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:
arsenal49 wrote:

PSW as it is will be closed and a sort of reformed PSW will come into effect April 2012, from what I saw students applying this year will be fine
That seems like the right assessment. There will still be PSW from 2012, but with certain regulations. She did refer to the changes as 'In the future' which does leave an element of doubt; but i do interpret it as them not closing the route entirely.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm

gwagoo wrote:
tusso wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:
arsenal49 wrote:

That seems like the right assessment. There will still be PSW from 2012, but with certain regulations. She did refer to the changes as 'In the future' which does leave an element of doubt; but i do interpret it as them not closing the route entirely.

I just saw everything, basically PSW as it is stays til april 2012 and then the new measures come into place, she said this when a MP from cambridge asked her about current students and she said "When the new requirements come into place" etc etc etc...

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:15 pm

stupid news stories. all they do is make their name off of sensationalism...using the most bombastically fueled language to 'spread the word'. 'the post study work scheme is now closed'. could it be any more aggravating?

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm

jlewisunh wrote:stupid news stories. all they do is make their name off of sensationalism...using the most bombastically fueled language to 'spread the word'. 'the post study work scheme is now closed'. could it be any more aggravating?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

Post-Study Work
•
Post-Study Work will be closed from April 2012.
•
Those graduating from a UK university with a recognised degree, PGCE, or PGDE will be able to switch into Tier 2.
•
There will not be a limit on these switchers.
•
They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires.
•
The normal Tier 2 requirements will apply, except for the Resident Labour Market Test.
•
We will ensure that genuine student entrepreneurs with a great idea are able to stay on in the UK to develop their business proposition.

So ppl this year will be fine!

gws14l
Newly Registered

Post by gws14l » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 pm

so...we are safe now.... :D

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

gws14l wrote:so...we are safe now.... :D
we (graduated before 4/2012) are fairly OK but those graduated after 4/2012 shall facing hardship due to.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

gws14l wrote:so...we are safe now.... :D
I very think that yeah current graduates are safe now, though lets wait when they submit the policy proposals on march 31st, but seems like we will be fine because the new PSW will only open next april, and therefore wouldnt work for ppl finishin their courses this summer... though their overall proposals were awful, this is gonna highly affect them

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm

yes april is a bad date for seniors. i remember my course last year didnt finish until september because my dissertation was due, even without a dissertation, arent finals in may? what happens to all the seniors graduating then? blah.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Right, if changes start working from April 2012, TA should be applied to the current students anyway. When the final proposals will be published?