ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

European ruling prompts Shatter to examine 120 immigration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

European ruling prompts Shatter to examine 120 immigration

Post by Southern_Sky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:15 pm

About time. It is a start, but it is inconcievable that the scope of Article 20 of TFEU will not also be applicable to adult Irish national, whom the department usually advise to relocate to another non-member state if they want to establish a family life.

Time to act Minister Shatters .
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 am

GREAT

AShawna

Post by AShawna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 am

...though it tarries, it shall surely come...

oceanstar
Newly Registered

Post by oceanstar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 pm

does anyone have any idea..if both of parents are non-Eu students..in this case does the child get Irish citizenship or any other way of naturalisation??...thnx

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

oceanstar wrote:does anyone have any idea..if both of parents are non-Eu students..in this case does the child get Irish citizenship or any other way of naturalisation??...thnx
Based my understanding, the Zambrano ruling in itself does not confer entitlement to citizenship to the minor child or the parents. However based on Irish constitution as per the 2005 amendment, if either of the non EU parents had been living legally in Ireland for 3 years prior to the birth of the child, then the child will be entitled to Irish citizenship.

Hope this helps.

9jeirean

alpha_1

Question

Post by alpha_1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hack this thread. I have few questions though.

For Non-EU parents with irish child. If father is on working visa stamp4 & child's mother is on dependent visa - stamp 3. then:

1) How to get stamp 4 for child's mother? I spoke with Garda immigration as I went for renewal. They say write letter to INIS?

2) Should I write letter or apply for WCATT for myself & my wife based on my child nationality?

I have already applied for Naturalization only for myself for the moment and its been 1 year since app is in progress.

Regards

9jeirean

Re: Question

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 pm

alpha_1 wrote:Hi,

For Non-EU parents with irish child. If father is on working visa stamp4 & child's mother is on dependent visa - stamp 3. then:

1) How to get stamp 4 for child's mother? I spoke with Garda immigration as I went for renewal. They say write letter to INIS?

2) Should I write letter or apply for WCATT for myself & my wife based on my child nationality?

I have already applied for Naturalization only for myself for the moment and its been 1 year since app is in progress.

Regards
I think the Zambrano case may very well have implications on the terms of residency for such parent as in your wife's situation, as one major the point of the Zambrano ruling is that the Belgian authority did not have the right to refuse right to work to the parent of the EU citizen child. So by implication, Non EU parents of Irish children on stamp 3 may very well be upgraded to stamp 4 to allow them work. Early days yet mate. I won't be writing anything to INIS yet, but watch the space.

9jeirean

oceanstar
Newly Registered

Post by oceanstar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm

thnx a lot 9jeirean..
i was residing legally as Non-Eu student for 8 yrs before my child's birth...does it countable towards my child's naturalisation??

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 pm

oceanstar wrote:thnx a lot 9jeirean..
i was residing legally as Non-Eu student for 8 yrs before my child's birth...does it countable towards my child's naturalisation??
I should think so as long as you were legally resident. You will have to submit evidence of your residency (stamp pages in passport, GNIB card) along with other requirement for passport applications.

9jeirean.

alpha_1

Re: Question

Post by alpha_1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

9jeirean wrote:
alpha_1 wrote:Hi,

Regards
I think the Zambrano case may very well have implications on the terms of residency for such parent as in your wife's situation, as one major the point of the Zambrano ruling is that the Belgian authority did not have the right to refuse right to work to the parent of the EU citizen child. So by implication, Non EU parents of Irish children on stamp 3 may very well be upgraded to stamp 4 to allow them work. Early days yet mate. I won't be writing anything to INIS yet, but watch the space.

9jeirean
Thanks alot 9jeirean.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

oceanstar wrote:thnx a lot 9jeirean..
unfortunately, time spent as a student on stamp 2 or as an asylum seeker does not count towards the 3 years required for the child to gain irish citizenship

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

agniukas wrote: unfortunately, time spent as a student on stamp 2 or as an asylum seeker does not count towards the 3 years required for the child to gain irish citizenship
Yes, that's true. Thanks Agnuiaks, just saw that now.
a person born in the island of Ireland after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship only if, during the four year period immediately preceding the person’s birth, one of the parents has been resident* in the island of Ireland for a period of not less than three years and neither parent was entitled to diplomatic immunity in the State.

* Certain residence is not reckonable, including unlawful residence, residence granted for the purpose of study and periods where there was a provisional permission to reside granted pending determination of an asylum application*
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Informat ... 140709.pdf

My apologies ocean-star, pls ignore my initial post.

9jeirean

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 am

There is an arguement that residency as a student pre the amendment in 2005 should be reckonable.

Re the query about transferring to Stamp 4 from Stamp 3 - yes an application should be made to INIS, clearly setting out the family's history, circumstances and future intentions (work preferably) and requesting residency on Stamp 4 conditions on the basis of the Irish citizen child.