ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cathy1111
Newly Registered

Post by cathy1111 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm

wht happens to a person residing outside UK & has completed the course three months ago...would they be able to apply for PSW visa?
thnks

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm

cathy1111 wrote:wht happens to a person residing outside UK & has completed the course three months ago...would they be able to apply for PSW visa?
thnks
under current conditions I think so

cathy1111
Newly Registered

Post by cathy1111 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 pm

[quote="tusso"][quote="cathy1111"]wht happens to a person residing outside UK & has completed the course three months ago...would they be able to apply for PSW visa?
thnks[/quote]

under current conditions I think so[/quote]

Hi,

thnks for the quick reply....but according to the UKBA http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

* it states **They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires**

dnt knw confused and worried :(

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 pm

cathy1111 wrote:
tusso wrote:
cathy1111 wrote:wht happens to a person residing outside UK & has completed the course three months ago...would they be able to apply for PSW visa?
thnks
under current conditions I think so
Hi,

thnks for the quick reply....but according to the UKBA http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

* it states **They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires**

U are confusin the new statement with the old one, if u plan to apply after march 31st then u should wait til the proper statement of intent is released, if u are gonna apply in the next few days then check the PSW section for applying outside of the UK

hazmalik

Post by hazmalik » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:04 pm

GUYS .. my uni is gonna award my mba in june 2012.. so will i get any transitional arrangments.. i am sure there msut be quite a few of you with same problem

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 pm

hazmalik, we don't know the details of the future proposals. The government has not mentioned TA today. In my opinion, they must introduce TA for the current students. We'll see soon what happens.

cathy1111
Newly Registered

Post by cathy1111 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:16 pm

dnt knw confused and worried :([/quote]

U are confusin the new statement with the old one, if u plan to apply after march 31st then u should wait til the proper statement of intent is released, if u are gonna apply in the next few days then check the PSW section for applying outside of the UK[/quote]

I will be applying after march 31st....

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

hazmalik wrote:GUYS .. my uni is gonna award my mba in june 2012.. so will i get any transitional arrangments.. i am sure there msut be quite a few of you with same problem
I am graduating in JULY 2012 .... :(
N/A

hazmalik

Post by hazmalik » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm

i know tier 4.. feeling is mutual..this is soo bull shit ..the academic year fin ishes in july ,so wats the point of finishing it in april..cnt we use mba proviosion case here?

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm

U are confusin the new statement with the old one, if u plan to apply after march 31st then u should wait til the proper statement of intent is released, if u are gonna apply in the next few days then check the PSW section for applying outside of the UK[/quote]

I will be applying after march 31st....[/quote]

From what I gather, and I could be wrong, but it seems like things are actually going to remain in place as they are until April 2012. It says the current psw scheme will close in April 2012. That would imply that the current scheme will remain open until then. So if that is the case and you are applying after March 31st then you should be ok if you meet the requirements.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
From what I gather, and I could be wrong, but it seems like things are actually going to remain in place as they are until April 2012. So if that is the case and you are applying after March 31st then you should be ok if you meet the requirements.
Yeah I think until April 2012 people applying should be fine, if not why would they already make it that explanatory, they didn't say PSW route will be closed soon or anything like that, they did say the Post Study Route will be closed from April 2012, and hopefully some TA for students at least graduating 2012

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

here is my prediction....

there will be an uproar in coming few months, especially october onwards, when universities will learn hundreds of international students haven't enrolled themselves in! even though they have unconditional offers

fingers will be pointed at the glorious coalition and their policies.

some universities will be forced to either hike up tuition fees further OR will be forced to limit their spendings to run certain departments, especially the courses involving technical labs etc.

by the start of the new year, 2012, they will see the true drop in number of international students when compared to previous years. universities will start to announce budget deficits and point finger at you-know-who.

and by the end of next by-elections or whatever, their majority will start vaporising and then they will start giving it a proper thought rather than just looking at the over-simplistic equation of how many are coming in the country and how many are leaving the country!

obviously it will take some time and there is a possibility that at least one batch of students will be the victim of their actions..

the end (of my predictions)

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

cathy1111 wrote:* it states **They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires**

I think this relates to Tier 2... current psw will close, which means, until april 2012 it should be the same as now. Even without TA or anything, for me this will be good enough. I think, though, all students should be given ta.

I think it says, you can switch to tier 2 only until your student visa expires, and inside the country... which makes sense. Only first statement relates to psw actually.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:24 pm

arsenal49 wrote:here is my prediction....

there will be an uproar in coming few months, especially october onwards, when universities will learn hundreds of international students haven't enrolled themselves in! even though they have unconditional offers

fingers will be pointed at the glorious coalition and their policies.

some universities will be forced to either hike up tuition fees further OR will be forced to limit their spendings to run certain departments, especially the courses involving technical labs etc.

by the start of the new year, 2012, they will see the true drop in number of international students when compared to previous years. universities will start to announce budget deficits and point finger at you-know-who.

and by the end of next by-elections or whatever, their majority will start vaporising and then they will start giving it a proper thought rather than just looking at the over-simplistic equation of how many are coming in the country and how many are leaving the country!

obviously it will take some time and there is a possibility that at least one batch of students will be the victim of their actions..

the end (of my predictions)
I agree... which will unfortunately probably be students not finishing this year... still have to wait.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 pm

any one who got Undergraduate admission in 2009 - 2010 and hoping to finish in 2012 or 2013 plz form a group ....
They just making us brain sick ....
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Any one finishing till March 2012 are safe so please understand our problem as well.
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Tier 4 wrote:Any one finishing till March 2012 are safe so please understand our problem as well.
I understand you... I support everything that might be done.

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

I wonder what the point was, in the last announcement on the 18th, to say that 'no other changes to the psw scheme will be made'. yea ok, except for that fact that in less than a week you announced to SCRAP THE ENTIRE THING IN A YEARS TIME!

:!:

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 pm

i was planning to continue with master's degree in september 2011 and graduate by september 2012 .. this is bad news indeed :(

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 pm

ginger_beer wrote:i was planning to continue with master's degree in september 2011 and graduate by september 2012 .. this is bad news indeed :(
Forget masters... apply while you can.
Also, it's not worth the money... imo.

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm

fibreman wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:i was planning to continue with master's degree in september 2011 and graduate by september 2012 .. this is bad news indeed :(
yeah, this really makes me consider going to other countries instead .. i suspect that the same rationale will also affect potential students who were considering coming to UK

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
fibreman wrote:
yeah, this really makes me consider going to other countries instead .. i suspect that the same rationale will also affect potential students who were considering coming to UK
Do you want a job or what?
Very few if any grad jobs require masters in uk... in my case, good masters costs again another 20k+. I don't have anymore money, and for entry jobs it brings nothing in my field.

Partially, masters might be worth doing in some sciences, but say for econ, law etc. not really. One year cash-cow for unis.

People from bad unis, with bad grades, might have incentive, for me it's not much.

As you can see, we can still get psw, so I will get it while I can.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 pm

True. I have two friends who already changed their decisions. They are holding unconditional offers from the UK unis but shifted to the USA because of all these disputes!

Actually, I think that those students who are graduating this year are not secured yet. There is no official announcement and publication about PSW yet. Remember the latest announcements about PSW. They told us that it is going to remain the same. And what are we getting now?!

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm

sehmett wrote:True. I have two friends who already changed their decisions. They are holding unconditional offers from the UK unis but shifted to the USA because of all these disputes!

Actually, I think that those students who are graduating this year are not secured yet. There is no official announcement and publication about PSW yet. Remember the latest announcements about PSW. They told us that it is going to remain the same. And what are we getting now?!
Well, that document was not related to psw directly... this document is just for student system-just that. It clearly says april 2012. So, some are safe.

I agree it's not fair, but what can you do. If I were to start now, I'd start elsewhere prob.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm

sehmett wrote:True. I have two friends who already changed their decisions. They are holding unconditional offers from the UK unis but shifted to the USA because of all these disputes!

Well but the explicit announcement that PSW will be open until 2012 means something, if there were any major tweaks they would have announced them or put a statement about PSW differently...

The last policy announcement was not directly related to PSW, even though it covered Tier 1 and 2, in one of the documents UKBA said that PSW would come as part of the student visa package, so was subject to changes...

They are gonna lose so many students with these restrictions!