ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 ILR - Impacted by changes from Apr 6th

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Akartikeyan
Newly Registered

Tier 2 ILR - Impacted by changes from Apr 6th

Post by Akartikeyan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi,

I have been in UK since May 2006 on a Work Permit( intra company Transfer). I have been with the same employer since last 5 yrs.

I was eligible to apply for my ILR on 16th Apr. But as per the recent changes announced there is a requirement for minimum salary as per the Codes of practise. I don't currently meet this requirement will this impact my settlement application that i am planning to make on 18th Apr? Or are the new rules for future applicants only.

I do have a current job offer that meets the minimum salary requirement with the same employer but that will probably start only towards end of April that is after my application due date.

Any suggestions/advice welcome.

sarath1212

Re: Tier 2 ILR - Impacted by changes from Apr 6th

Post by sarath1212 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Ho w do you know you are not eligible as per the Code of practise.I think you're on 5Yr WP so it shouldn't be an issue. Any how wait for the experts comments.
Akartikeyan wrote:I was eligible to apply for my ILR on 16th Apr. But as per the recent changes announced there is a requirement for minimum salary as per the Codes of practise. Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Akartikeyan
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 ILR - Impacted by changes from Apr 6th

Post by Akartikeyan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm

sarath1212 wrote:Ho w do you know you are not eligible as per the Code of practise.I think you're on 5Yr WP so it shouldn't be an issue. Any how wait for the experts comments.
Akartikeyan wrote:I was eligible to apply for my ILR on 16th Apr. But as per the recent changes announced there is a requirement for minimum salary as per the Codes of practise. Any suggestions/advice welcome.

As the new changes effective from 6th April mention Income Requirement as a criteria, I am a bit confused on how this will impact my eligibility criteria.

Though I meet all other criteria's and have all the document required Not sure if Income Requirement as per the Code of practise will be effected by eligibility or not ...hopefully someone can clarify

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Accept the new job offer, start working in the new poisition and apply for settlement then.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Akartikeyan
Newly Registered

Post by Akartikeyan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Accept the new job offer, start working in the new poisition and apply for settlement then.
My Visa expires on 2nd May, while I can apply for the settlement only after 16th Apr ( as I entered UK on 14th May 2006).

So if I need to continue, I either need to apply for ILR or get my sponsor to extend the work permit.

I have already accepted the offer, the new role might start only towards end of April. So I am a bit short of time. If I don't meet the ILR criteria then I need to ask my sponsor to extend the work permit.

Was hoping someone here would have a better understanding and guide me on the impact of the new changes

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:46 pm

There is no reference in the statement of changes to immigration rules to suggest that these (new) rules may not apply to you .. because you are an existing migrant and these (new) rules will only apply to new migrants entering the system on/after 06-Apr-11.

So, unless you are eligible to apply for settlement before 06-Apr-11, the only way for you to apply for settlement is to meet the new requirements. If you cannot, you'll need to apply for extension as Tier 2 migrant.
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akartikeyan
Newly Registered

Post by Akartikeyan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm

sushdmehta wrote:There is no reference in the statement of changes to immigration rules to suggest that these (new) rules may not apply to you .. because you are an existing migrant and these (new) rules will only apply to new migrants entering the system on/after 06-Apr-11.

So, unless you are eligible to apply for settlement before 06-Apr-11, the only way for you to apply for settlement is to meet the new requirements. If you cannot, you'll need to apply for extension as Tier 2 migrant.
Thanks, that is my understanding also.

sarath1212

Post by sarath1212 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Please can you let me know the link where did you find the salary criteria for the relevant code of practice?
Akartikeyan wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:There is no reference in the statement of changes to immigration rules to suggest that these (new) rules may not apply to you .. because you are an existing migrant and these (new) rules will only apply to new migrants entering the system on/after 06-Apr-11.

Thanks, that is my understanding also.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm

pravdiss
Newly Registered

Work Permit 2006 OCT

Post by pravdiss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:25 pm

I fall into the same category (work permit), I am eligible for ILR on OCT 2011. I am short of few pennies on the required hourly rate. I cannot understand Akartikeyan's advise to re-apply for extension as Tier 2 migrant because to extend are you not supposed to have the same earning requirement as ILR?

noor1034
BANNED

Re: Work Permit 2006 OCT

Post by noor1034 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 am

pravdiss wrote:I fall into the same category (work permit), I am eligible for ILR on OCT 2011. I am short of few pennies on the required hourly rate. I cannot understand Akartikeyan's advise to re-apply for extension as Tier 2 migrant because to extend are you not supposed to have the same earning requirement as ILR?

How are you calculating hourly rate ? What is your job title ?

pravdiss
Newly Registered

Re: Work Permit 2006 OCT

Post by pravdiss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:46 am

salary/(weekly hours*52) = hourly rate

I am a project engineer so my category is "Engineering professionals not elsewhere classified"

noor1034 wrote:
pravdiss wrote:I fall into the same category (work permit), I am eligible for ILR on OCT 2011. I am short of few pennies on the required hourly rate. I cannot understand Akartikeyan's advise to re-apply for extension as Tier 2 migrant because to extend are you not supposed to have the same earning requirement as ILR?

How are you calculating hourly rate ? What is your job title ?