ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on upcoming ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bmowen
Newly Registered

Advice on upcoming ILR

Post by bmowen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi,

First of all I'll give a bit of background on my situation.

I am on an Australian Passport
I arrived on the 2nd of May 2006 on a Sponsored Work Permit expiring May 2009.

Got a new Australian passport in Feb 2008 as old one was due to expire in 2009

In August 2008 I received a Teir 1 (General) Visa expiring August 2011.

Shortly afterward i changed employers with no gap in employment.

I believe that I am eligible for ILR from 2 May 2011 so I am starting to pull all of my information together and plan on making an appointment at a public enquiry office for a same day decision as I need to travel in July.

While getting of my information together I have discovered that my old expired passport with my original work permit is missing. I have notified the Australian embassy and they sent me a letter confirming that it has been lost and was expired at the time and that they have been notified.

Documents I currently have are
- All of my P60s
- All of my payslips with the exception of the 3 at the beginning but they are covered by a P60
- Current Passport with Teir 1 (General) Visa
- Letter from Australian Embassy re lost passport

My questions are
1. Is my lost expired passport going to be an issue if so what can I do to get around it?
2. Can I apply for ILR 28 before at a PEO or do I need to wait until 2 May
3. What other documents will I need to make sure it goes without a hitch?

Thanks for your help

Ben

navodwickra

Re: Advice on upcoming ILR

Post by navodwickra » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:58 pm

bmowen wrote:Hi,

First of all I'll give a bit of background on my situation.

I am on an Australian Passport
I arrived on the 2nd of May 2006 on a Sponsored Work Permit expiring May 2009.

Got a new Australian passport in Feb 2008 as old one was due to expire in 2009

In August 2008 I received a Teir 1 (General) Visa expiring August 2011.

Shortly afterward i changed employers with no gap in employment.

I believe that I am eligible for ILR from 2 May 2011 so I am starting to pull all of my information together and plan on making an appointment at a public enquiry office for a same day decision as I need to travel in July.

While getting of my information together I have discovered that my old expired passport with my original work permit is missing. I have notified the Australian embassy and they sent me a letter confirming that it has been lost and was expired at the time and that they have been notified.

Documents I currently have are
- All of my P60s
- All of my payslips with the exception of the 3 at the beginning but they are covered by a P60
- Current Passport with Teir 1 (General) Visa
- Letter from Australian Embassy re lost passport

My questions are
1. Is my lost expired passport going to be an issue if so what can I do to get around it?
2. Can I apply for ILR 28 before at a PEO or do I need to wait until 2 May
3. What other documents will I need to make sure it goes without a hitch?

Thanks for your help

Ben
1. Won't be a problem
2. Yes you can
3. Wait till they publish the new rules for April 2011.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:33 am

so you have no passport with original work permit visa stamped? do you have any copies of visa and accompanying letteR?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:37 am

Please do note that in-person application does not guarantee a same-day service. And with a passport missing / lost, the caseworker may defer a decision - and if that happens then your in-person application may follow the same timelines as a postal application.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

bmowen
Newly Registered

Post by bmowen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I am missing the passport with the work permit stamped in it but I do have the accompaning letter that was stamped on entry. I am hoping that that will help them to track down my information.

I understand that they may need to take some time to investigate which is why I want to apply as soon as I am eligible. I am sitting my life in the uk test on Friday and then will apply for an appointment as soon as I have passed.

What is the current postal processing times in case something goes wrong?

Another question is that If I apply 28 days before I am eligible That would be just before the 6th of April. Do I pay online at the current fee or the increased fee?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 pm

AIUI, you pay the fees applicable on the day of PEO appointment ... not the fees applicable on the day you submit the form online.

Browse this topic to get an idea of postal application timelines. Also see UKBA waiting times.

bmowen
Newly Registered

Post by bmowen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:53 pm

The reason I ask about the payment amount is because according to the site below they request that if you lodge your form online you pay online at least 2 days before you turn up for your appointment otherwise they will cancel the appointment.

http://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/iap ... STATE=true

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

There is no compulsion to use the online form / pay online. One may (still) use the paper form and pay at the PEO on the day of appointment.

So, someone choosing to not use online form / pay online cannot be put at a disadvantage (and made to pay the higher, new fees) as compared to someone choosing to use online form / pay online a couple of days in advance of the actual PEO appointment.

bmowen
Newly Registered

Post by bmowen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Now that the new forms have been released. Can someone please advise on what additional evidence I should carry to prove that I was here for the duration of my visa and avoid issues because of my lost passport. I have booked an appointment at the Croydon PEO on the 18th of April as I have a wedding to go to in July and want to make sure I have everything back in time.

I currently have the following documents

- Current passport
- Letter from Australian Embassy acknowledging the loss of my old expired passport
- 4 P60's from 2006 to 2010 (Not sure if I'll have the 2011 P60 before the appointment)
- 47 payslips for the past 5 years including every payslip since Feb 09
- Bank statements for the past 12 months
- Letter from my current employer saying my current salary and that I am needed for the foreseable future
- Bachelor of Commerce degree certificate (needed for my last Tier 1 application but I don't think I need to provide it again. I will take it anyway just in case)
- Life in the UK test pass certificate
- Work permit letter stamped on entry on the 3rd of May 2006
- Certified document from Australian immigration showing all of my movements in and out of Australia since 2004 (Not much help but at least it shows that I haven't been living in country of Origin for the last 5 years)

In addition I am getting a letter from my previous employer under my orginal work permit stating the period of my employment with them. They also might be able to provide me with a copy of my old passport and work permit (again not much help as it won't be a certified copy)

Is there anything else I should take?

Your advice is appreciated as I am very nervous about this.