ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

tusso wrote:The one off session from the BIS committee was the most pointless thing I have seen, Universities UK seem complacent with the changes and so does the CBI...
yeah .. i got the same impression too. Seems that this probably would be the final word on the subject of PSW then :(

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
tusso wrote:The one off session from the BIS committee was the most pointless thing I have seen, Universities UK seem complacent with the changes and so does the CBI...
yeah .. i got the same impression too. Seems that this probably would be the final word on the subject of PSW then :(
Unless students consult with a legal advisor to see if a judicial review is possible so that PSW is open for all students who started their course on or before 2010

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

tusso wrote:
RWA wrote:So, basically does anyone think that the kind of policy they might come out with, it would be applicable right the next day (as shown by the tier 1 general), or do you think it would begin from 6th april (since most policies that change are usually implemented on that day).

speculations?

Policy for closing overseas applicants for PSW?
PSW policy. Elaboration on the PSW, maybe some changes? Dont you think new clauses or restrictions or something would be introduced on the 31st? Caps per month, resrtictions on overseas applicants etc.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm

RWA wrote:
tusso wrote:
RWA wrote:So, basically does anyone think that the kind of policy they might come out with, it would be applicable right the next day (as shown by the tier 1 general), or do you think it would begin from 6th april (since most policies that change are usually implemented on that day).

speculations?

PSW policy. Elaboration on the PSW, maybe some changes? Dont you think new clauses or restrictions or something would be introduced on the 31st? Caps per month, resrtictions on overseas applicants etc.

Doubt it since they dnt imply nor explain any major tweaks to such, by saying the PSW route will close from April 2012, is self explanatory, if not I assume they would have implied or generalised that there would be some major tweaks to PSW... I think the changes to PSW are already the ones in the Policy Guidance for After April 6 2011... and in the document of the 31st they will just announce the closure of such in April 2012

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm

tusso wrote:
RWA wrote:
tusso wrote:

speculations?

Doubt it since they dnt imply nor explain any major tweaks to such
Thank you. Since this is a TA, I thought they would tweak it a bit. Guess, we'll know for sure in a weeks time. I hope things work out for all of us, one way or the other.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 pm

RWA wrote: Thank you. Since this is a TA, I thought they would tweak it a bit. Guess, we'll know for sure in a weeks time. I hope things work out for all of us, one way or the other.
I dont have any special insights nor anything, but based on how they have been managing this, I doubt there will be any major tweaks to such, in terms of reducing the length to a year or making it only for postgraduates... Only ones that I can see happening is restricting it to people from Highly Trusted Sponsor Universities and maybe closing it to overseas applications... but to be honest dont think so... The UKICSA website says that from now til april 2012 PSW applications will open to overseas and in country applicants

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:11 pm

tusso wrote:
RWA wrote: Thank you. Since this is a TA, I thought they would tweak it a bit. Guess, we'll know for sure in a weeks time. I hope things work out for all of us, one way or the other.
I dont have any special insights nor anything, but based on how they have been managing this, I doubt there will be any major tweaks to such, in terms of reducing the length to a year or making it only for postgraduates... Only ones that I can see happening is restricting it to people from Highly Trusted Sponsor Universities and maybe closing it to overseas applications... but to be honest dont think so... The UKICSA website says that from now til april 2012 PSW applications will open to overseas and in country applicants

You're right, thanks. Fingers crossed.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Then when Damian Green's turn came, the BIS was just asking about China and perceptions from there and the effectiveness of the UKBA in issuing visas. As for PSW not much was said, someone did ask about people who were already on PSW and Damian Green just said, that the new system will be implemented next April and that any PSW holder under the system shouldn't be affected... but yeah nothing relevant or important to people interested in PSW...
completely agree with u ..... Seems they all are two face and hypocrites peoples
I didn’t get it, where the previous episode actors go ….. :?:
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Tier 4 wrote:

Then when Damian Green's turn came, the BIS was just asking about China and perceptions from there and the effectiveness of the UKBA in issuing visas. As for PSW not much was said, someone did ask about people who were already on PSW and Damian Green just said, that the new system will be implemented next April and that any PSW holder under the system shouldn't be affected... but yeah nothing relevant or important to people interested in PSW...
completely agree with u ..... Seems they all are two face and hypocrites peoples
I didn’t get it, where the previous episode actors go ….. :?:

Will be interesting to see if the number of international students decreases within this recruitment year... if such happens then the gov will be in big trouble and they will U-Turn on proposals...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

tusso wrote:Will be interesting to see if the number of international students decreases within this recruitment year... if such happens then the gov will be in big trouble and they will U-Turn on proposals...
I don’t think so it will reduce because out side of country it’s hard to get impression what’s inside it. People from under developing countries don’t really bother about book of rules that’s why they become vulnerable so fast.
N/A

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm

I think there is a ray of hope for current students who will be graduating after April 2012 and let me declare my interest here, hopefully, I will be graduating this summer. However, I am with you guys for TA, because let's be honest, we all have worked hard in our own way and its only unfair that few of us will not get, what they were promised after investing so much of their time and money.

In one of the responses on tuesday Mrs May said "We will make absolutely clear when the new post-study work route proposals will be implemented. Students will have reached various stages in their courses, but there will be a specific point at which the post-study work route requirement is introduced. Those who are already studying in the UK and may have expected to stay will still be able to stay, provided that they obtain graduate-level jobs. It is the qualification level for the jobs that will change.

As for the arrangements for student entrepreneurs, we are considering how best to position them in the immigration system. I hinted earlier that they might form part of the post-study work route, but we might consider other routes. The intention is to enable a student who is graduating from university and who has a first-class idea to set up a business and put that idea into practice, and I think it right for us to do so."

If you pay attention to this "Those who are already studying in the UK and may have expected to stay will still be able to stay, provided that they obtain graduate-level jobs. It is the qualification level for the jobs that will change.". I think its safe to assume that Mrs May is not talking about Tier2 here, but I understand the uncertainty and that's why I urge everyone to keep up the pressure on govt. through various modes.

Also, April 2012 is one year ahead and I pretty sure student immigration landscape will change again and hopefully it will change for good.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tusso wrote:Will be interesting to see if the number of international students decreases within this recruitment year... if such happens then the gov will be in big trouble and they will U-Turn on proposals...
I don’t think so it will reduce because out side of country it’s hard to get impression what’s inside it.
I think number's will drop drastically and it may drop more than 150000 in this year alone.
I know few student's, who had an un-conditional offer's from uni here but they have already decided to go to aus, mind you, aussies are making it easy for Int. Students from April 2011.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Aryan2013 wrote: I think its safe to assume that Mrs May is not talking about Tier2 here, but I understand the uncertainty and that's why I urge everyone to keep up the pressure on govt. through various modes.

Also, April 2012 is one year ahead and I pretty sure student immigration landscape will change again and hopefully it will change for good.
I disagree, she in fact was talking about the New student version of the Tier 2. The question that preceded that was basically what about current students and their legitimate expectations. So what she meant is that at some point which is April 2012 the new PSW will come in place and regardless of the stage of studies which students are at, they will have to comply with the new arrangements, which are having the opportunity to work but with the REQUIREMENT OF THE JOB OFFER. Even today Damian Green said that the new PSW will come into place in April next year. If there had been any TA she would have said, that current students wouldn't be affected by the new post study reform... At the moment I think the only TA are up to April 2012, but there is time for students to unite and demand TA for all current students.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:I think there is a ray of hope for current students who will be graduating after April 2012 and let me declare my interest here, hopefully, I will be graduating this summer. However, I am with you guys for TA, because let's be honest, we all have worked hard in our own way and its only unfair that few of us will not get, what they were promised after investing so much of their time and money.

In one of the responses on tuesday Mrs May said "We will make absolutely clear when the new post-study work route proposals will be implemented. Students will have reached various stages in their courses, but there will be a specific point at which the post-study work route requirement is introduced. Those who are already studying in the UK and may have expected to stay will still be able to stay, provided that they obtain graduate-level jobs. It is the qualification level for the jobs that will change.

As for the arrangements for student entrepreneurs, we are considering how best to position them in the immigration system. I hinted earlier that they might form part of the post-study work route, but we might consider other routes. The intention is to enable a student who is graduating from university and who has a first-class idea to set up a business and put that idea into practice, and I think it right for us to do so."

If you pay attention to this "Those who are already studying in the UK and may have expected to stay will still be able to stay, provided that they obtain graduate-level jobs. It is the qualification level for the jobs that will change.". I think its safe to assume that Mrs May is not talking about Tier2 here, but I understand the uncertainty and that's why I urge everyone to keep up the pressure on govt. through various modes.

Well, I guess this is where the world of reality and world of illusion start. There won’t be any flexibility after April 2012 and attaching 20k limit for applying new PSW is just absurd.

In short she just tricked and split us by creating an argument how easy it is to gain 20K job, because some of the forum members are now really keen all of sudden to do above 20K once they get and live with their PSW.

And for all who thinking to obtain Tier 2 after their PSW Government is launching a new proposals in coming fall about breaking a link between temporary residence and permanent residence and most like the qualifying period for applying INLR will either ridiculously increase or abolished INLR completely by introducing a new style work visa like some Gulf states already have in practice in which you can live 100 years on work capacity and will always be a worker not a citizen of country.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Guys I am doing my bit again, sending mails to our so-called sympathizer who might in my naïve understanding persuade Government to look at again current students though I firmly believe not possible.

So any one who got time send emails again might some miracle happen. Though been a long time since I seen miracles.
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Sorry, who is our so-called sympathizer?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm

I think we should wait till end of month and see if there is TA. If not, then Penningtons should be contacted and court procedures started.

Basically, the govt ignores answers from consultation... illegal by itself.

No letters, emails, supporters will help you now... it seems govt is simply ignoring everything. Preparations for court should start, specifically for affected students. They will not listen to anything but court now, it seems obvious.

Some of us are safe, including me, but it still doesn't make this right.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm

tusso wrote:Sorry, who is our so-called sympathizer?
LOLZ …. Of course local MP, Shadow Home Sectary, some ministers, Scottish Government who said they will call Fresh Talent, Pennington’s etc etc …
am i missing some one?
N/A

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Ths govrnmtn had did evrythgn their own way..ignoring evry consultaion reusult, student or MPS support...evrythgn..they got exaplantion fr evryone...they really dnt need us any more...

Frst of all its not easy to fnd 20k job with in so less period of time and secondly i wunt thnk it culd be any employer it must have Tier 2 license (they dint mentioned bcz i thnk thy dnt want to make thngs sacrry now..but latr thy will defntly).....

They just want you to pay money and go back home...nothing else
People who suffered from these shuld form group and take them to court...simple, let them to explain there....Why we need to suffer..when we came ther was no such policies...New Policies to New students...

Atleast new student can move some where else..they got time and money in hand.....

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Wth does tht Graduate level job means...??

1. Is tht for current students or students applying aftr 2012 april ?
2. Does it mean tht after getting PSW we cant do other labour jobs ?
3. Or does we need to show beofre applying tht we had Job offer in hand ?

so basically thy dint had listen to anyone...so all ths consultaion was waste of time.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

luckylondon wrote:Wth does tht Graduate level job means...??

1. Is tht for current students or students applying aftr 2012 april ?
2. Does it mean tht after getting PSW we cant do other labour jobs ?
3. Or does we need to show beofre applying tht we had Job offer in hand ?

so basically thy dint had listen to anyone...so all ths consultaion was waste of time.
Read the statement at the UKBA website

1. The requirement of a registered in tier 2 sponsors JOB OFFER will only take place AFTER april 2012.

2. Well technically if u get PSW u are expected to get a graduate level job, not doing underskilled labour

I think they will follow the same pattern as with Tier 1 General, thus that is why they already submitted the policy guidance for PSW after April 6 2011

So basically the CURRENT form of PSW is valid for eligible applicants until April 2012

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 pm

I agree limiting PSW visa by getting 20K job offer is unreasonable, unfair and injust. It make us become a philistine at all.

For my specialized field(pharmacy), Market pay just below 20K for fresh graduated student for pre-reg pharmacist post. After becoming a qualified pharmacist, there are 2 pathways to get into job. One is hospital and the other is community. hospital pay a little more than 20K with good development of career. community can pay up to 45K and always pay around 35K to 40K. In order to get PSW in safe, student will just foucs on how much wage they can pay. Under the game rules - the more you earn , the more you are welcome, Does selling drugs is the govt.s favor?

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 pm

luckylondon wrote: Frst of all its not easy to fnd 20k job with in so less period of time ..
What do you mean? What kind of job can be less than 20k per year? What is your specialisation?

I think 20K is very reasonable. I would argue if they have said 30K, for example, which is rather high for fresh graduates in some areas.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Unikid wrote:I agree limiting PSW visa by getting 20K job offer is unreasonable, unfair and injust. It make us become a philistine at all.

For my specialized field(pharmacy), Market pay just below 20K for fresh graduated student for pre-reg pharmacist post. After becoming a qualified pharmacist, there are 2 pathways to get into job. One is hospital and the other is community. hospital pay a little more than 20K with good development of career. community can pay up to 45K and always pay around 35K to 40K. In order to get PSW in safe, student will just foucs on how much wage they can pay. Under the game rules - the more you earn , the more you are welcome, Does selling drugs is the govt.s favor?
Lol! Its impossible to survive with less than 20k. Ok, anyway the main point is still the same - TA.

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

sehmett wrote:
luckylondon wrote: Frst of all its not easy to fnd 20k job with in so less period of time ..
What do you mean? What kind of job can be less than 20k per year? What is your specialisation?

I think 20K is very reasonable. I would argue if they have said 30K, for example, which is rather high for fresh graduates in some areas.
yes, frankly after spending tons of money for the certificate here, if all you can get is a low paying job, then you might as well return to your home country where you can potentially earn more and advance your career faster.

my objection is not with the 20k limit (i too think that it's reasonable) but with the fact that employers would be hesitant to employ someone who needs to be sponsored before he can start work. That alone will represents a high barrier to entry to most people. I'm just wondering when they say that graduates will have 3 or 4 months to look for job, does that mean until the end of the current student visa ? Or will they introduce a short extension to the student visa that would allow graduates to look for job .. ?