ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 pm

sehmett wrote: Lol! Its impossible to survive with less than 20k. Ok, anyway the main point is still the same - TA.
Well I know lots of guys, who got Post grad qualifications and could not been able to find a graduate level job even with PSW, Fresh talent Scotland etc. with a subjects like Marketing, Human resource, some other social sciences subjects. But at the end most to them moved back to their homes, none of them end up doing odd jobs which government think we might do.
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:16 pm

ginger_beer wrote:. I'm just wondering when they say that graduates will have 3 or 4 months to look for job, does that mean until the end of the current student visa ? Or will they introduce a short extension to the student visa that would allow graduates to look for job .. ?
The 4 months to look for a job are the ones that u already get in ur student Visa.

I agree, but its not 20k per se cause they asked about people doing performing arts jobs that pay less than 20k and basically they say it is flexible depending on the code of practice so it recognizes that some jobs might pay less than 20k while still bein graduate...

I just find 2 problems with the new PSW.
that leavin 4 months after graduation leaves just makes u rush to directly find a job and puts a lot of pressure...

2 the fact that it has to be sponsored. I understand that they want it to be sponsored so that they can be in control, but for example, what if you wanna do a few internships? Also small medium enterprises are not registered with Tier 2 so that constrains the companies that could give you a job.

anyway people that will be able to apply until 2012 dodged a bullet but I hope current students get some TA

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

tusso wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:. I'm just wondering when they say that graduates will have 3 or 4 months to look for job, does that mean until the end of the current student visa ? Or will they introduce a short extension to the student visa that would allow graduates to look for job .. ?
The 4 months to look for a job are the ones that u already get in ur student Visa.

I agree, but its not 20k per se cause they asked about people doing performing arts jobs that pay less than 20k and basically they say it is flexible depending on the code of practice so it recognizes that some jobs might pay less than 20k while still bein graduate...

I just find 2 problems with the new PSW.
that leavin 4 months after graduation leaves just makes u rush to directly find a job and puts a lot of pressure...

2 the fact that it has to be sponsored. I understand that they want it to be sponsored so that they can be in control, but for example, what if you wanna do a few internships? Also small medium enterprises are not registered with Tier 2 so that constrains the companies that could give you a job.

anyway people that will be able to apply until 2012 dodged a bullet but I hope current students get some TA
yes, guys, it just like playing game machine and musical chairs. time is limit and if you don't win, it will be game over

I got a job offer of 40K by a samll private company but they said "NO COS please ".

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 pm

tusso wrote: I agree, but its not 20k per se cause they asked about people doing performing arts jobs that pay less than 20k and basically they say it is flexible depending on the code of practice so it recognizes that some jobs might pay less than 20k while still bein graduate...
That’s exactly what I am, an artist, so far got just one solo exhibition, hoping for 2nd and looking forward to arrange more. It’s hard to earn money by your art. I always wish to be a self employed artist there is no way I will be able to secure a 20k job. By all means it’s just not for me.
N/A

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tusso wrote: I agree, but its not 20k per se cause they asked about people doing performing arts jobs that pay less than 20k and basically they say it is flexible depending on the code of practice so it recognizes that some jobs might pay less than 20k while still bein graduate...
That’s exactly what I am, an artist, so far got just one solo exhibition, hoping for 2nd and looking forward to arrange more. It’s hard to earn money by your art. I always wish to be a self employed artist there is no way I will be able to secure a 20k job. By all means it’s just not for me.
you may benifit from the new arrangement for student entrepreneurs who has a first class idea to set up a business.

you should prepare your business plan asap.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 am

Certainly government has a little control to stop this abuse or they might be busy screwing genuine students by striping their genuine rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_Wedding/
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 pm

N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 pm

To,

The Migrants’ Rights Network
Royal London House
22 -25 Finsbury Square
London
EC2A 1DX

Subject: Unfair Government Plans for International Students

Dear Sir / Madam,

Most respectfully, once again I want to bring very important information in your knowledge which a majority of genuine International student will suffer soon because of the newly brought changes by the abolishment of Post Study Work Visa, which was actually promised before we started our studies in United Kingdom.

Despite the outcome of Home office consultation (which government didn’t even bother to publish), Home Affair Committee report, students and all relevant parties protest UK Government implemented these unfair rules. The current Transitional Arrangements that the government made have let the undergraduates students down very badly, for instance I myself is graduating in June 2012 and PSW will be close from April 2012 so in short I am being late just two and half months which is quite unfair after I already have spend a lot of money. This might be the case of all undergraduate’s student as well who got admission in 2010 (before these rules) and hoping to be Graduate in maybe 2013. We were all expecting some rational transitional period by Government “depending on when we got our visas or new rules for new studentsâ€
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
yes, frankly after spending tons of money for the certificate here, if all you can get is a low paying job, then you might as well return to your home country where you can potentially earn more and advance your career faster.

my objection is not with the 20k limit (i too think that it's reasonable) but with the fact that employers would be hesitant to employ someone who needs to be sponsored before he can start work. That alone will represents a high barrier to entry to most people. I'm just wondering when they say that graduates will have 3 or 4 months to look for job, does that mean until the end of the current student visa ? Or will they introduce a short extension to the student visa that would allow graduates to look for job .. ?

This is exactly the problem... I can theoretically easily be offered an interview, I was to do one with one insurance company, Cv and all good... but I was told to get back to them when I get PSW.

Also, most companies will never even consider you if they need any kind of procedures to sponsor etc. (some even say don't apply)

I can easily get above 20k, but sponsoring is a problem. Only very few are willing to sponsor, so u are very limited.

With psw, u can prove yourself worthy, then have soem chance... but needing "papers" at the start, that's a problem.

Even with unlimited cos inside UK, u have very little time to find a job, and very, very unlikely it is that someone will sponsor you. Not a fresh grad...

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 pm

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 4p0001.htm

Thursday 24 March 2011

PRESENTED PETITION
Petition presented to the House but not read on the Floor

Student Visas
The Petition of residents of Sheffield,

Declares that international students are a great social, cultural and economic asset and a key contributor to British Higher Education; that international students bring billions of pounds to the British economy, help forge vital business contacts and are important ambassadors for British culture globally; that the Petitioners do not agree with labelling international students as "immigrants"
24 Mar 2011 : Column 8P
as they reside in the UK temporarily, make significant contributions and are in no way a burden to the country; that the petitioners believe that the proposed measures in the Home Office consultation on student immigration would restrict the freedom of choice of international students and would significantly damage their university experience; and that international students should retain their rights to find work experience in the UK for up to two years, to work while studying, bring their dependants to the UK, to apply for visa for a new course within the UK, and to study a second course of the same qualification.

The Petitioners therefore request that the House of Commons urges the Government not to accept the changes proposed in the Home Office consultation on the current student immigration system.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Guys, I support all initiatives, even though i will not be affected, but I fear since there has been an announcement, it is over...

It can still be reversed, but only in court. And that's a long battle... but battle for a fair outcome, for students who have been cheated out by these changes.

I think the letter to Migrant rights network is good, and one to Pennigtons should be sent also...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:52 pm

fibreman wrote:Guys, I support all initiatives, even though i will not be affected, but I fear since there has been an announcement, it is over...

It can still be reversed, but only in court. And that's a long battle... but battle for a fair outcome, for students who have been cheated out by these changes.

I think the letter to Migrant rights network is good, and one to Pennigtons should be sent also...
well i did send above letter to Migrant rights network and got this response:

Thanks for your e-mail and I was very sorry to read what you and your peers have had to go through. Unfortunately, we are not a statutory body that can give you legal advice. However, we do a lot of lobbying of parliamentarians and government ministers through our All-Party Parliamentary Group on Migration and we have written a short briefing, held a meeting and collated the outcome of the issues surrounding overseas student immigration that you will be able to find here. I hope you find it helpful. I would also urge you to get in touch with your local Member of Parliament, who from your address seems to be the Right Honourable Anne McGuire MP, and raise your concerns directly with her. She should be able to make representations on your behalf to the minister and urge a rethinking on the policy announcement. I hope this helps.

All the best,

Yours sincerely,
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Thx for info, Tier 4.

Legals representation is now needed... it seems decisions have already been made, and I fear we can't do much by lobbying anymore.

Penningtons are a law firm, and they can represent students affected by this in court. Govt will have to change rules only if court says so, I'm afraid.

They did not listen to us, unis etc. anyway.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 pm

fibreman wrote:Thx for info, Tier 4.

Legals representation is now needed... it seems decisions have already been made, and I fear we can't do much by lobbying anymore.

Penningtons are a law firm, and they can represent students affected by this in court. Govt will have to change rules only if court says so, I'm afraid.

They did not listen to us, unis etc. anyway.
i already have contacting them and waiting for their response
N/A

removed user

Post by removed user » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 pm

My suggestion is that a Facebook ad should be started to form a strong group first. Once we manage to get hold of more then 10,000 students i assume we will then be able to take them to the court.

Anyone interested let me know.

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 pm

kamilanwar wrote:My suggestion is that a Facebook ad should be started to form a strong group first. Once we manage to get hold of more then 10,000 students i assume we will then be able to take them to the court.

this is a great suggestion ..

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 pm

kamilanwar wrote:My suggestion is that a Facebook ad should be started to form a strong group first. Once we manage to get hold of more then 10,000 students i assume we will then be able to take them to the court.

me
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Well I am genuinely genuinely shocked that Universities are saying these rules are much better than previous one. I guess Government showed them worst and they settled on bad. What a disgraces it’s not just about PSW by which we are suffering.

• The students in private institutions are hit real hard, its British high commission around the globe who gave them visas on these institution, and home office and UKBA provides so-called “Aâ€
N/A

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 pm

[quote="Tier 4"]The students in private institutions are hit real hard, its British high commission around the globe who gave them visas on these institution, and home office and UKBA provides so-called “Aâ€

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 pm

[quote="ginger_beer"][quote="Tier 4"]The students in private institutions are hit real hard, its British high commission around the globe who gave them visas on these institution, and home office and UKBA provides so-called “Aâ€
N/A

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 pm

[quote="Tier 4"]Well I am genuinely genuinely shocked that Universities are saying these rules are much better than previous one. I guess Government showed them worst and they settled on bad. What a disgraces it’s not just about PSW by which we are suffering.

• The students in private institutions are hit real hard, its British high commission around the globe who gave them visas on these institution, and home office and UKBA provides so-called “Aâ€

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:19 pm

terriblescream wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:• Post study workers will not be able to bring dependants with them, unless they were already here whilst they were a student. .

Is this true, PSW holders cannot bring in dependants ??!! and if yes where can i refer to it ?!! I wanted my wife to join me since I will be on PSW next month
I don't believe this is correct. Tier 4 where did you read that psw holders will not be able to bring their dependents?

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Few more reviews in pipeline:

After Easter UKBA will announce reviews of :

Tier 5
overseas domestic workers
the rights of Tier 2 migrants to settle
family routes all in the context of cutting down numbers who may be able to settle.
in autumn, a review of the next year’s limits on Tier 2.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:31 pm

I agree and the potential problem I can see is that during consultation period, we tried to contact all the Int. students but were only able to contact few thousands out of hundreds of thousands.

I think we need to do more than just sitting on computer's, if we have any realistic chance of winning this.

I'm in london and am happy to volunteer for this great cause!!

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Greenie wrote:
terriblescream wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:• Post study workers will not be able to bring dependants with them, unless they were already here whilst they were a student. .

Is this true, PSW holders cannot bring in dependants ??!! and if yes where can i refer to it ?!! I wanted my wife to join me since I will be on PSW next month
I don't believe this is correct. Tier 4 where did you read that psw holders will not be able to bring their dependents?
I think its true but I'll wait till 31st March for exact changes to be announced.