ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

husband born in UK before 1982

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wondering
Newly Registered

husband born in UK before 1982

Post by Wondering » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

My husband was born England (Sculthorpe) in 1956 to American parents. His father was in the US Airforce. They moved back to the US when he was four years old. Does he qualify for British citizenship? Thanks.

joh118

Re: husband born in UK before 1982

Post by joh118 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Wondering wrote:My husband was born England (Sculthorpe) in 1956 to American parents. His father was in the US Airforce. They moved back to the US when he was four years old. Does he qualify for British citizenship? Thanks.
Before 1983, birth in the UK was sufficient in itself to confer British nationality irrespective of the status of parents. He is and always have been a British Citizen by birth. Ever since he was born, he has had British Citizenship. There is nothing to qualify for or register for or apply for (except his UK passport). Does he still have his UK birth certificate? I would go and visit your nearest British Embassy or Consulate. He will be able to apply for his passport there.

I guess this news will come as a bit of a suprise that he has always been a citizen in the eyes of UK authorities!

Wondering
Newly Registered

Post by Wondering » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Wow! it's what we were thinking based on all we've read - just amazing to know he only needs his passport. His birth certificate was issued by the US Dept. of State, since his dad was in the military, but it shows he was born in Sculthorpe. His parents lived off base in a house with a name, and while he has very few memories, his parents always spoke of the house and the area with great fondness. I guess we'll start looking toward applying for a UK passport! Sweet!

joh118

Post by joh118 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Wondering wrote:Wow! it's what we were thinking based on all we've read - just amazing to know he only needs his passport. His birth certificate was issued by the US Dept. of State, since his dad was in the military, but it shows he was born in Sculthorpe. His parents lived off base in a house with a name, and while he has very few memories, his parents always spoke of the house and the area with great fondness. I guess we'll start looking toward applying for a UK passport! Sweet!
No worries. If he is successful in obtaining his UK passport and if he decides to relocate to the UK, you as the wife of a British Citizen will be able move as well. He will also be able to live and work freely in 32 different countries in Europe. You might even be eligible to get permanent residency (like green card) even before you arrive (Indefinite leave to enter) if you meet the following criteria:

* you and your partner married or formed a civil partnership at least four years ago;
* you have spent those four years living together outside the UK;
* you are both coming to the UK to settle here together; and
* you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the UK. (You do not need to meet this last requirement if you are aged 65 or over.)

If his parents are still around, can you ask them if they registered his birth with UK authorities as well?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Wondering wrote:Wow! it's what we were thinking based on all we've read - just amazing to know he only needs his passport. His birth certificate was issued by the US Dept. of State, since his dad was in the military, but it shows he was born in Sculthorpe. His parents lived off base in a house with a name, and while he has very few memories, his parents always spoke of the house and the area with great fondness. I guess we'll start looking toward applying for a UK passport! Sweet!
That was a US Consular Report of Birth Abroad. There should also be a UK birth certificate in place - contact http://www.gro.gov.uk

If there is no UK birth certificate that would not be normal - all births in the UK should have been registered. It might cause problems getting a British passport if there is none.

Do you have children? If so, they should be British citizens by descent.

Wondering
Newly Registered

Post by Wondering » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 pm

That was a US Consular Report of Birth Abroad. There should also be a UK birth certificate in place - contact http://www.gro.gov.uk

If there is no UK birth certificate that would not be normal - all births in the UK should have been registered. It might cause problems getting a British passport if there is none.

Do you have children? If so, they should be British citizens by descent.

His birth was registered in the UK. Should we obtain a record of that and submit it with the passport application? They didn't require it - we spoke to a customer service person and explained his birth certificate.
Thanks for this bit of information!

joh118

Post by joh118 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:40 am

His birth was registered in the UK. Should we obtain a record of that and submit it with the passport application? They didn't require it - we spoke to a customer service person and explained his birth certificate.
Thanks for this bit of information!
If you can get a hold of a valid UK birth certificate clearly showing his name and his birth date, there should be no reason for them to refuse his passport application. Any evidence will help.

I don't know the laws backs then but it is a legal requirement to report any birth in the UK, this would automatically generate a birth certificate. But again, I don't know the laws backs then.