ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Views on job offer

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

win2010
Newly Registered

Views on job offer

Post by win2010 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:15 pm

I have been in UK for 2 weeks.I got 2 offers for 45k+benefits in London.I have 5+ years experience in C,C++,Linux..

Is it a decent offer or should I have negotiated more?Do the companies here give relocation benefits?Can anyone in the forum plz. give their suggestions about the offer..I am married and will get my wife in a month.She will be also searching for work when she is here..

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Congrats on the offer. £45k plus benefits is about average and can also be considered good for a 5yrs experienced candidate.

You could have negotiated more but its a long drawn out process and you put yourself at risk of being discounted if they find someone else who accepts their offer. Some companies do give relocation assistance or a one off sign on bonus - you need to ask for it and justify reasons as well. Its best to try and ask for one rather than sit quietly.

Finally, on the offer itself, do you have a yearly bonus or appraisal? You mentioned benefits so I assume they are standard. End of the day, with £45k, its more than enough to lead a good life and have savings. In a few years, once you know your way around, you can move on to better jobs. Your wife too can work and add to the income earned so my advice would be to go for it (unless you have something better coming up)

All the best
KP

godfatherdon

Post by godfatherdon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm

just a thought .....is 45K in london equivalent to 30-35K in other places like southwest or southeast england (anglia)......... Am i better off, if I stick to a lower pay and stay off london & other metropolitan places or its more the merrier way....

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:55 pm

godfatherdon wrote:just a thought .....is 45K in london equivalent to 30-35K in other places like southwest or southeast england (anglia)......... Am i better off, if I stick to a lower pay and stay off london & other metropolitan places or its more the merrier way....

depends really....u can always work in London and live outside - there are some great places in greater london and even along the M4 corridor......its quite easy really...if you get your employer to pay for travel or even part contribute to travel then its even better :-)

But if you live in London then yes, £45k is about £35k elsewhere but even then, £35k anywhere else in the UK can still end up with monthly savings almost close to £1000 - all depending on your personal circumstances of course

Note that its only applicable to London - Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol, Swindon etc are nowhere as expensive as London and £45 k is £45k in these places...

KP

win2010
Newly Registered

Post by win2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am

Yes, yearly bonus and appraisals are there.Also the benefits are standard benefits.I also had another query-My office is in central london.I am planning to take house in Hounslow..Is it good area??Any other suggestions for good locations??

Anida
Newly Registered

hi..congrats

Post by Anida » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi,

Congrats on your success...

Please could you inform me the process that how you would have approach the job market...Since I am also on the same technology as of yours C/C++/Unix..I would like to get suggestion from you.

Please your detail email would be really helpful to me. Are you tried via consultancies? or directly applied the companies? Which domain you were previously and now you got offer in which domain?

How is the C++ / Unix Market/

Thanks in anticipation,
Anida.

win2010
Newly Registered

Post by win2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Anida
I started applying in jobsites 2-3 weeks before my travel date.I had finished the telephonic rounds for some companies before I came to UK.I attended face to face after going to UK.I have tried through jobsites, mainly through consultants only. My view is job market for C++ is not bad.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 am

win2010 wrote:Yes, yearly bonus and appraisals are there.Also the benefits are standard benefits.I also had another query-My office is in central london.I am planning to take house in Hounslow..Is it good area??Any other suggestions for good locations??
Any particular reason for wanting to choose Hounslow other than the fact that it used to be dominated by the Indian community years ago?

If you are travelling to Central London, I would much rather advise looking for houses in Zone 3 rather than Hounslow. The only advise I can give is that search for a house from which is on the same tube line as your office.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

Anida
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Anida » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi Win,

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
Anida.