ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

joh118 wrote:I share the same opinion that the UK will appear to be less attractive due to the lack of PSW.

However, that said, there is no Resident Labour Market Test being required to get Tier 2. That does make it significantly easier to access Tier 2. So, I guess the only difference is not having the "luxury" of finding a permanent job in 2 years and having only your final year of study to find one....
under the previous psw, you could switch to tier 2 after working for 6 months without having the resident labour market test as well ..

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
joh118 wrote:I share the same opinion that the UK will appear to be less attractive due to the lack of PSW.

However, that said, there is no Resident Labour Market Test being required to get Tier 2. That does make it significantly easier to access Tier 2. So, I guess the only difference is not having the "luxury" of finding a permanent job in 2 years and having only your final year of study to find one....
under the previous psw, you could switch to tier 2 after working for 6 months without having the resident labour market test as well ..
that's exactly what I'm saying. It's quite similar.

Kingstonking
Newly Registered

Post by Kingstonking » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

This a bit confusing. So i am supposed to graduate in september 2011 and plan to apply for a "existing" psw in oct2011 . per the new rules, i shall be able to do so since it is before april 2012. so what do the new rules say?
> That i would need a job offer for more than 20k beforehand?
> and i can only apply if i am in the country?

OR

do these rules come into picture when i already have the psw and then later on decide to switch to Tier-2?
Can someone please clarify?

Cheers.
KK

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Kingstonking wrote:This a bit confusing. So i am supposed to graduate in september 2011 and plan to apply for a "existing" psw in oct2011 . per the new rules, i shall be able to do so since it is before april 2012. so what do the new rules say?
> That i would need a job offer for more than 20k beforehand?
> and i can only apply if i am in the country?

OR

do these rules come into picture when i already have the psw and then later on decide to switch to Tier-2?
Can someone please clarify?

Cheers.
KK

Its simple, if you graduate before april 2012, you can apply to the current PSW route...

After april 2012 current psw gets closed and the new system which requires a job offer starts...

msmaili
Newly Registered

Post by msmaili » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 am

somebody help me plz,

What about if I wanted to apply for the PSW outside the UK let's say on the 4th of April 2011? Is there any specific changes I should be aware of?

Thanks

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 am

msmaili wrote:somebody help me plz,

What about if I wanted to apply for the PSW outside the UK let's say on the 4th of April 2011? Is there any specific changes I should be aware of?

Thanks
Nothing yet, we'll find out in 30 odd hours. For some speculations, check page 38 of this thread.

msmaili
Newly Registered

Post by msmaili » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm

[quote="RWA"][quote="msmaili"]somebody help me plz,

Thanks[/quote]

[color=darkred][b]Nothing yet, we'll find out in 30 odd hours. For some speculations, check page 38 of this thread.[/b][/color][/quote]

yeah, I guess you got it right.
Thanks

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 pm

guys, do you know what time and where the changes are going to be published? is it midnight? or tomorrow morning?

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 pm

sehmett wrote:guys, do you know what time and where the changes are going to be published? is it midnight? or tomorrow morning?
Between 1000 - 1800 GMT , anytime on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-updates/

Best of luck to everyone!

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:20 pm

RWA wrote:
sehmett wrote:guys, do you know what time and where the changes are going to be published? is it midnight? or tomorrow morning?
Between 1000 - 1800 GMT , anytime on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-updates/

waiting .. i wonder if it could get any worse than now .. :o

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
RWA wrote:

Fingers crossed. :) The situation is unjust overall. but even for people who by some fluke 'can' apply during the next year, the situation can be dicey in terms of overseas applicants and length of stay.

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 pm

RWA wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:
RWA wrote:

Fingers crossed. :) The situation is unjust overall. but even for people who by some fluke 'can' apply during the next year, the situation can be dicey in terms of overseas applicants and length of stay.
Rhetorical, right. The stress is making me miss the obvious. :)

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 am

RWA wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:
RWA wrote:

overseas applicante maybe... length of stay? please refrain from makin unfounded comments... there s no reason to think bout length of stay since the poliy summary says current post study route!

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 am

tusso wrote:
RWA wrote:
ginger_beer wrote:
RWA wrote:

overseas applicante maybe... length of stay? please refrain from makin unfounded comments... there s no reason to think bout length of stay since the poliy summary says current post study route!
Ha, I see the stress is getting to you as well. The statement 'current post study route' implies all the clauses in the previous policy will remain the same, including the overseas route. I dont think its possible to legibly draw distinctions here in terms of what is well-founded speculation and what isn't logical. Mostly because it didnt help anyone earlier in terms of the PSW being abolished so soon, or the absence of a respectable TA. We can argue about 'far-fetched notions', but not this.

I think I merely summarized what you said in the earlier posts. That goes for the Tier 1 association I drew earlier in the thread (page 37, 38) for overseas applicants, as well length of stay relating to two years being the 'maximum'. If you also recall the changes to Tier 1 General, they even tinkered with length of stay there.

Anyho, of course, I hope its neither. I hope I'm proved wrong tomorrow, in fact completely welcome it. The more the survivors getting value for the money invested, the better.

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am

I think this might be the other site to check for updates.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ofchanges/

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... s/sop4.pdf
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dent-visas

Details of changes to student visas

31 March 2011

A statement of changes to the Immigration Rules has today been laid before Parliament, setting out how the student visa system will be reformed from next month. The reforms, which affect Tier 4 of the points-based system, were announced last week.

To accompany the statement of changes in the immigration rules bringing the first set of changes into force from 21 April 2011, we have published:

* a statement of policy containing full details of the reforms;
* revised policy guidance for Tier 4 migrants from 21 April 2011; and
* revised guidance for Tier 4 sponsors from 21 April 2011.

You can find the statement of changes, the statement of policy and the revised guidance on the right side of this page.

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

So policy guidance of April 6, 2011 for PSW stays the same

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:09 pm

This is not a new document. It was issued before the last statement in the parliament. We discussed it here. They state in this paper that there will be no changes to psw. We all were happy and glad but then... news about april 2012 came

it to the link of pdf file

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

sehmett wrote:This is not a new document. It was issued before the last statement in the parliament. We discussed it here. They state in this paper that there will be no changes to psw. We all were happy and glad but then... news about april 2012 came

Dude in the new rules published today it says:

"From April 2012 the Tier 1 Post-Study Work route
will be closed to new applicants. Instead students
graduating with a UK degree, PGCE, PGDE from
a Recognised or Listed Body will be able to apply
for a job with a UK Border Agency licensed
Tier 2 sponsor."

So yeah PSW stays within the published guidance for April 6, 2011...

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

tusso wrote:
sehmett wrote:This is not a new document. It was issued before the last statement in the parliament. We discussed it here. They state in this paper that there will be no changes to psw. We all were happy and glad but then... news about april 2012 came

Dude in the new rules published today it says:

"From April 2012 the Tier 1 Post-Study Work route
will be closed to new applicants. Instead students
graduating with a UK degree, PGCE, PGDE from
a Recognised or Listed Body will be able to apply
for a job with a UK Border Agency licensed
Tier 2 sponsor."

So yeah PSW stays within the published guidance for April 6, 2011...
my message was to the previous statement of RWA (writen in red ))

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 pm

No TA, no nothing... I'm lucky that I graduate in July, what about others?

I think it's time for court... no other way now.

The reqs to switch to tier 2 are high. Almost nobody is willing tosponsor new graduate, even with unlimited cos. Also, many demand to see a degree... in most cases this will mean u have 3 months over summer to find a sponsor, next to impossible.

Some companies will issue tier 2 over last year of study, but they are very, very few, and get 100 000+ of applicants anyway.

Effectively, 99% students will leave after uni,and that's it.

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:06 pm

This is what I said:

'I think this might be the other site to check for updates.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ofchanges/ '

Crossed wires, I think. If you scroll down, you will see this page is updated when there is a change to policy. You may have noticed I didnt link you to a document. Thats why I was suggesting this site could be checked as well.
Last edited by RWA on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:09 pm

tusso wrote:So policy guidance of April 6, 2011 for PSW stays the same
Thankfully for the few who were applying this year.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Statement of changes in Immigration Rules (HC 908), laid in the parliament today, makes no reference to (changes to) immigration rules for Tier 1 (PSW) category.

For now and until any changes are announced before it finally closes in April 2012, Tier 1 (PSW) category will continue to operate as it is.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm

For those who are NOT graduating this year:

The International Department of my uni said that PSW will close 2012 BUT the changes may be made before that. They believe that universities still can fight back psw. Most unis are in troubles now. The troubles will become visible in september when many students will not enroll. The government promised to unis that they will watch the situation and continue to discuss the issue with universities. So, by the April 2012 the decision can be changed.

You can fight from your side, too - lawers, petitions, facebook group etc.