ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application from outside UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BondFamily

ILR application from outside UK

Post by BondFamily » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 am

Well I'm confused.

I read that if me and my wife have been together for 4 year or more then we can apply for the ILR but part of the application for it is to take the knowledge of the English language and life in the UK test.

However when I dig deeper into this test I can only find information suggesting it's only available to sit it in the UK!

What's going on? I want to apply for the ILR but how can I prove sufficent knowledge of the English language and life in the UK?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 am

ILR or any form of "leave to remain" cannot be applied for from outside the UK.

Your spouse may apply for settlement visa from outside UK, and if eligible, may be issued with ILE (Indefinite Leave to Enter) endorsement.

LITUK tests are only available in the UK. So, if you wish that she is granted ILE on the basis that you have been married for at least 4 years and have been living together outside the UK for at least 4 years, then she will need to travel to the UK to take the test (can travel as a visitor for the purpose) so that the result can be included in the entry clearance application (for settlement visa).

Alternatively, if your wife satisfies all of the requirements for ILE, except the KOL (LITUK) requirement, she will be granted 27 months leave to enter. During this time she can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement and then apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

BondFamily

Post by BondFamily » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Wow almost 10k posts! Your knowledge of visa applications must be immense!

So if you don't mind I would just like to check a few points with you to be sure I understand this part of the process completely correct.

My wife can apply for a settlement visa and state that she wishes to be granted ILR due to us being together more than 4 years.

In this application she needs to have only the KET certificate so far and then she could be granted the ILE endorsement which means she must sit the LITUK test when in the UK

Is that right?

maxiy

Post by maxiy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 am

Last edited by maxiy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BondFamily

Post by BondFamily » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 am

@maxiy

Thank you! So will you be going to UK using a visit visa to do this test or a settlement visa?

Good luck on the test!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 am

BondFamily wrote:Wow almost 10k posts! Your knowledge of visa applications must be immense!

So if you don't mind I would just like to check a few points with you to be sure I understand this part of the process completely correct.

My wife can apply for a settlement visa and state that she wishes to be granted ILR due to us being together more than 4 years.

In this application she needs to have only the KET certificate so far and then she could be granted the ILE endorsement which means she must sit the LITUK test when in the UK

Is that right?
Not quite your wife will only be granted ILE if she has already passed the LITUK test so in order words, no she will not get the ILE endorsement unless she has passed the LITUK test.

If she hasn't passed the LITUK test, then she will only be given 27 months leave to enter, but her entry clearance/visa will be endorsed with:

"Settlement Spouse/ CP (KOL REQ): 2 years: Code 1â€

BondFamily

Post by BondFamily » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. So finally to make sure I do the right thing, we must apply as normal for the settlement visa and sit the basic "Key English Test" (KEY) that is part of the requirement of getting the settlement visa.

Upon being granted the "Settlement Spouse/ CP (KOL REQ): 2 years: Code 1â€

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Spouse/CP KOL Required means

Spouse/Civil Partner Knowledge of Life in the UK required.

maxiy

Post by maxiy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Last edited by maxiy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BondFamily

Post by BondFamily » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:15 pm

From which country you will apply?
From Ukraine
Spouse/Civil Partner Knowledge of Life in the UK required.
Thanks Greenie

So could anyone tell me if I need to write in the visa application that I want the "Settlement Spouse/ CP (KOL REQ): 2 years: Code 1" or is this not a good thing to do? I don't understand how I can control what type visa they will issue...

maxiy

Post by maxiy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Dear BondFamily,

I have ask the same question before but didn't get any feedback.

My Idea "Which I don't know it OK or no'

I will mention that we have been married for more then 4 years and I have finished the LIUKT , which might help them to get me the ILE

Really don't know about this point but I understand that they will need to follow the rules.