ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel 90 day rule in five years - travel for leisure or biz

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TariqKhan
Newly Registered

travel 90 day rule in five years - travel for leisure or biz

Post by TariqKhan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I am on TIER 1 work visa, self employed.
I would be applying for ILR soon.

I am a self employed IT contractor.
I have a registered Co. and I pay tax every year.

I consult for network and systems security.
I am also an IT trainer and business development manager
I am also an agent representing international companies in UK.

I travel frequently to my country Pakistan and Dubai to train, teach,to learn myself and meet new clients and develop business.

QUESTION:
How can I maintain records of my travel when applying for ILR?

What is the requirement for 90 days out of the country each year
that is 90 x 5 = not more than 450 days in the five year period preceding the ILR application?

As a self employed person can I travel for business?

For leisure how many days can one travel out of the country in the ILR five year period?

please advise and thanks for your assistance and God bless.

regards
Tariq

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

TariqKhan wrote:How can I maintain records of my travel when applying for ILR?
By keeping a record of your absences from UK (i.e. - dates of departure and arrival)
TariqKhan wrote:What is the requirement for 90 days out of the country each year
that is 90 x 5 = not more than 450 days in the five year period preceding the ILR application?
180 days in 5 years. Not more than 90 days single absence.
TariqKhan wrote:As a self employed person can I travel for business?
Yes, but you may need to prove that these were "self-employment / business" related absences.
TariqKhan wrote:For leisure how many days can one travel out of the country in the ILR five year period?
Within the permitted limit, as above.

See also Immigration directorate instructions, Chapter 6A section 1 (settlement, Tier 1) - proposed version from 6 April 2011
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 pm

TariqKhan wrote:
As a self employed person can I travel for business?
Yes, but you may need to prove that these were "self-employment / business" related absences.
Does anyone have any guidance on what proof would be required for self-employed individuals undertaking business travel? (I too will be in the same situation.)

dehjet

Post by dehjet » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

I am wondering what kind of proof is needed too ? I will have business trips and I am self employed, employment letter therefore will be written by me i guess, what kind of proof is needed for these cases ?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I am wondering what kind of proof is needed too ? I will have business trips and I am self employed, employment letter therefore will be written by me i guess, what kind of proof is needed for these cases ?
You will need to work on a document, which shows the nature of your business and the need to travel abroad. If its genuine you should have no problem in writing one out.