ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success at Solihull PEO, SET(O) 28/03/11

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

genorp

ILR Success at Solihull PEO, SET(O) 28/03/11

Post by genorp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:53 pm

My long trek is complete.
I got my ILR today at Solihull on SET(O).

I entered the UK on a work permit (old style) on 24 April, 2006, and remained with the same employer the entire time.

Exactly 6 weeks ago I phoned up the PEO appointment number and made an appointment for 9am, 28 March, 2011, 27 days before my work permit expiration. (28 days was a Sunday.) Some days after making my appointment I had a gut feeling I should call them to confirm and found out I had given my mobile number incorrectly. She corrected it and immediately I received a text confirming my appointment. Always listent to your gut.

I decided to use the interactive application and pre-pay online. The main reasons were that I found it a lot easier to enter my absences since it's interactive and just keeps adding space until you're done and I didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of a need to call the bank on the day. I made sure to do this more than 2 business days prior to my appointment, as they warn on the website.

Saturday morning (26 March) at 9am I was awakened by a text reminding me of my appointment and to be 30 minutes early. Sunday I drove to Solihull (based on experiences related here and in other forums I decided on Solihull over Croydon) and checked into the Ramada a few minutes walk away.

This morning I walked through the pedestrianised town centre and had breakfast then went to the PEO where one person was waiting outside. He said security would open the door at 8:30. The door was opened and I was second through. Normal empty your pockets walk through the metal detector then gather your things. Not long after, 8:44, the security guard walked over and handed me my token. A few minutes later the voice over the PA asked for my number to go to window 4. I sat down and was asked for my application. He noticed I pre-paid, then looked ate each page of the application. He typed a little on his computer and said he had to do a few checks. This took a whole few seconds. He then asked me what I did and if I did that at my previous employer, which confused me until I realized he was talking about the first work permit I got, but I explained I hadn't taken up that position. While he paged through my absences I said I had a spreadsheet. He just said "ok, thank you". He asked me for my Life in the UK pass certificate. He asked me "How many days out of the country would you say you had?" I said with confidence "125" and that I had a letter from my employer explaining my absences. He smiled and asked for that and the letter about my employment. Then he asked for my last 3 bank statements and last 3 payslips. I told him my company does payslips electronically but that payroll sent me copies that they stamped and signed. He was fine with this. Then he asked me for my photos and if they were recent, "2 weeks ago" I said. I mentioned I had photocopies of everything but he said he didn't need them. He said something about it all looks in order and to come back in 2 hours. And if I leave to turn on my phone in case they need anything more. I asked what my LIUK score was. 23, which I knew because I knew exactly which one I missed after I took it. He told me to take this piece of paper (since I pre-paid) to the cashier window. I got there and the lady said "Ooh, an easy one!"

That was it. I left at 9:06. I went back to the hotel and watched a little tv. I walked back over at 10:45 and went to where you'd normally empty your pockets but was recognized and told my stuff was all ready. They handed me my passport, payslips, bank statements, and LIUK pass certificate. And now I have a pretty pink vignette in my passport and the rest of my life can begin.

And just to underscore that life indeed has a soundtrack, as I walked back down the pedestrianized street, a busker was playing "What A Wonderful World" on the saxophone.

I took with me:

Completed interactive SET(O) application
2 photos
LIUK pass certificate
12 payslips
4 P60s
6 bank statements
Letter from employer confirming 5 years of employment and that it is still required
Letter from employer explaining work-related absences and the rest on paid leave consistent with annual entitlement.
Spreadsheet breaking down all absences
Birth certificate
Original work permit
Current tenancy agreement

Of all those he only asked for:
Completed interactive SET(O) application
2 photos
LIUK pass certificate
3 payslips
3 bank statements
Letter from employer confirming 5 years of employment and that it is still required
Letter from employer explaining work-related absences and the rest on paid leave consistent with annual entitlement.

Simples.

Thanks to all who answered my questions and those I had that were asked by others!

Next stop: naturalization

negiyk
Newly Registered

Many Congratulation

Post by negiyk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Many Congratulation :)

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Is it compulsory to provide the following even if the days spent outside country were within permissible limit i.e. short trips?

I am in 5th year now and had not spent more than 15days at a stretch outside country.

genorp

Post by genorp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

silversurfer wrote:Is it compulsory to provide the following even if the days spent outside country were within permissible limit i.e. short trips?

I am in 5th year now and had not spent more than 15days at a stretch outside country.
No, but I felt it better to over prepare than under.

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm

genorp wrote:
Thanks! I was nervous as I have changed jobs and may be difficult to get this letter for me from previous employer.
Also not all trips were on business some were personal.

genorp

Post by genorp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:08 am

silversurfer wrote:
genorp wrote:
Thanks! I was nervous as I have changed jobs and may be difficult to get this letter for me from previous employer.
Also not all trips were on business some were personal.
If you're well under 180 total I wouldn't think it's necessary. I only had 125 total, but again, I just wanted to cover all bases so the letter highlighted the days for business and then said the rest were paid leave.

ALI74

Post by ALI74 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I have been out of the cuntry for one and half month
I have been to pakistan to get married, I used my Annual holiday and 10 days ware unpaid holiday.Therefore my one month pay is less than the normal.The rest all 59 months is paid through bank and I have got all the Payslips.

I shall be very thankful for the format of letter explaining absenses and holidays etc.

genorp

Post by genorp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Ali,
I based some wording on a template from this forum and then just wrote what's what for my employer to use.

I started with a section listing work-related absences:

During Mr [You]'s employment he is occasionally required to travel outside the United Kingdom for business purposes. Since his arrival in [month, year], the following trips, as listed on his SET(O) application, were undertaken for [company]-related business:

To [city, country]
[entry-exit dates]

etc....

The total full days out of the country, but not counting departure/return days, is [##].

Then I had a section about holidays:

His remaining days absent from the United Kingdom, as listed on his SET(O) application, were all taken as part of his annual leave entitlement. He continued to be on [company] payroll and was paying NI and PAYE tax in the UK. The total full days out of the country for these holidays, not counting departure/return days, is [##] days.

I didn't list those days separately in the letter (just the application). Obviously you'd need to adjust that statement since they weren't all paid and you'll need a sentence or so about the unpaid if you're doing a full tally as I did.

nihao
Newly Registered

Post by nihao » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello genorp,

Is necessary to provide the absence spreadsheet? OR just for person who absence more than 180 days? Thanks

genorp

Post by genorp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 pm

It's all a matter of how much you want to bring in with you. There's no requirement other than to list your absences on the application. Every case worker is different as you can see by various experiences people have had. Some found a spreadsheet helpful, others, like mine, didn't want to see it. I read one where the person didn't have one and the case worker went through the entire passport looking for each stamp. I'm of the philosophy that it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Tweedum
Newly Registered

bank statement

Post by Tweedum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:32 am

If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of the bank statements? Is it to verify that you have enough funds to sustain yourself or is it to verify the payslip?

nihao
Newly Registered

Post by nihao » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok noted Thanks.

kenfrapin

Re: bank statement

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Tweedum wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of the bank statements? Is it to verify that you have enough funds to sustain yourself or is it to verify the payslip?
Many dont realize this but Bank stmts alone can prove a lot for you
1. Monthly income paid into your account - source of income
2. If joint, then proof to show cohabitation
3. Proof that Council Tax was paid
4. Savings to show you can support yourself with required funds

All this, directly or indirectly, help strengthen your case a lot

KP