ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help me if I correctly understand new rules, PHD

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xleft
- thin ice -

Please help me if I correctly understand new rules, PHD

Post by xleft » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello

There are new rules now and I wanted to check with you if I understand them correct. Thank you very much!

My brother studied in total 6 years in UK. 1 years on courses, 3 years on BA and 2 years on MA. He plans to start PHD in September 2012. His total time on student visas would be 6 years. If I understand correctly he should not have any problems getting new visa for PHD inside the UK because his total time is below 8 years total. So we need not to worry about anything in this case, right?

I used this document as reference: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... s/sop4.pdf

stevenage

Post by stevenage » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

If you look at Page 4 of this document, the time limit as Tier 4 student will be implemented from April 2012.

Regards.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 pm

stevenage wrote:If you look at Page 4 of this document, the time limit as Tier 4 student will be implemented from April 2012.

Regards.
So?

stevenage

Post by stevenage » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Sorry I thought your brother is starting from September 2011. I misread your post.

joh118

Re: Please help me if I correctly understand new rules, PHD

Post by joh118 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 pm

xleft wrote:Hello

There are new rules now and I wanted to check with you if I understand them correct. Thank you very much!

My brother studied in total 6 years in UK. 1 years on courses, 3 years on BA and 2 years on MA. He plans to start PHD in September 2012. His total time on student visas would be 6 years. If I understand correctly he should not have any problems getting new visa for PHD inside the UK because his total time is below 8 years total. So we need not to worry about anything in this case, right?

I used this document as reference: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... s/sop4.pdf
The rules are maximum of 3 years for course below degree level and 5 years for courses at or above degree level. Theoretically, your brother has reached his maximum stay, however it does say special provisions for PHD level students so he shouldn't have problems.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 am

At Page 16 of this document (I gave link) it says:

"Students undertaking a PhD will not be subject
to the time limit, but if they have eight or more
years leave as a student or in Tier 4 (General) on
completion of their PhD they will not be able to
apply for further leave in Tier 4 (General).

Students who have already eight or more years leave
as a student or in Tier 4 (General) from April 2012
will be able to complete their course, but not apply
for further leave in Tier 4 (General) when
that expires."

So if I understand correctly it should not be a problem in our case? My concern is that if they may prohibit study because they will calculate in advance that after PHD it will be more than 8 years? It does not look like this but wanted to check. Thank you!

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Can anyone please answer this? Or nobody knows anything for sure at this moment?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't think the policy is clear. Until the actual changes are published it is difficult to advise with certainty.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:05 am

Yes, thank you, I also thought the same. It does not look very clear at the moment. Any ideas when they should publish this new policy with clear explanations? Thank you!