ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

quadophile
Newly Registered

Post by quadophile » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Iam also one of those who will be graduating next year in May 2012 :) ......what are the chances that this psw change can be challenged in court and we can win this, as we are not new students????

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 pm

sehmett wrote:For those who are NOT graduating this year:

The International Department of my uni said that PSW will close 2012 BUT the changes may be made before that. They believe that universities still can fight back psw. Most unis are in troubles now. The troubles will become visible in september when many students will not enroll. The government promised to unis that they will watch the situation and continue to discuss the issue with universities. So, by the April 2012 the decision can be changed.

You can fight from your side, too - lawers, petitions, facebook group etc.
Please guys its time to unit, PSW for all current students doesn’t matter when they Graduating. Pressurize you Universities and Colleges as I am doing the same. I mailed to MPs other Government officials, I even mailed to Yvette Cooper the shadow home secretary but she replied:

Thank you for your e-mail to Yvette Cooper MP. There is a strict parliamentary convention for MPs to represent their own constituents only - you may wish to contact your own local MP for this.

And I can’t believe that, she is a shadow home secretary represents opposition and entire country ….. anyways
I mailed to Pennington Solicitors LLP as well so far haven’t got a reply. Therefore I request every one in this forum to consult with lawyer and judges they are the only one who can divert this decision.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 pm

quadophile wrote:Iam also one of those who will be graduating next year in May 2012 :) ......what are the chances that this psw change can be challenged in court and we can win this, as we are not new students????
I would say there are lot in our boat just need to find them. Besides we are not asking for charity or we haven’t claim benefit or free education. We spend our money on this education; how a Government can be civilize if they don’t care about their own surveys, consultation and other a lot of pro-student voices.
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:30 pm

These days the first news I see in BBC is Colonel Gaddafi exploiting his people but I would say there is no difference between British Government and him, except he considered to be a dictator and in Britain they call it democracy.
N/A

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

sehmett wrote:Most unis are in troubles now. The troubles will become visible in september when many students will not enroll. The government promised to unis that they will watch the situation and continue to discuss the issue with universities. So, by the April 2012 the decision can be changed.

You can fight from your side, too - lawers, petitions, facebook group etc.
I absolutely agree with you and would like to add here that come Feb 2012, Uni’s and this govt. will be on their knees asking for more Int. students. They will really see the full impact of these draconian changes and hopefully will be rolling back some of these changes including PSW visa.

Also, in the coming year, the cohort of 2008/2009 PSW holders save few will be returning home as T1(G) is closed for good. This will play good for the number’s game.

Fight must go on for fairer treatment and fairer student immigration system.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
quadophile wrote:Iam also one of those who will be graduating next year in May 2012 :) ......what are the chances that this psw change can be challenged in court and we can win this, as we are not new students????
I would say there are lot in our boat just need to find them.
Finding them is the ONLY problem because if you look at the survey, approx. 20000 took part of the total 600000 Int. students(Coservative estimate by any standard's).

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
I would say there are lot in our boat just need to find them.
Finding them is the ONLY problem because if you look at the survey, approx. 20000 took part of the total 600000 Int. students(Coservative estimate by any standard's).
I noticed that in my uni there are a lot of adverts and leaflets about the current changes. They encourage students to meet and unite to discuss the future plans and actions. I think it's the best way to find students. It's dificult to meet when you are in different towns but at least to meet in a FB group is possible to see how many people will join. Then, it will be easier to plan...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, the message is clear Government trying to clean Britain from foreigners.

• They stopping the benefits of indigenous people and persuading them to get back to low skills jobs which foreign students were doing and studying in private colleges, now they can’t.
• Start charging £ 9000 fee from local students same as international student so that Universities don’t complaint they haven’t got the funds. Now the clear example all Universities are happy with current changes.
• Issuing slavery licences to all Tier 2 entitled companies so they can exploit foreigners on daily basis.
• What next; new consultation about family rout, permanent settlement, for what?
Government don’t care about their own consultations and what people are saying in it. They have to do what they have to do.
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm

This is the link of the consultation results, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 pm

so PSW holders can still apply 4 dependants isnt it as speculated earlier it was dat no more new dependants?

From what I have read on new changes its those students who switch to Tier 2 from April 2012 wont be able to bring in NEW dependants

correct me if im wrong

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:39 pm

tusso wrote:This is the link of the consultation results, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /students/
This is a joke, guys... almost 70% disagree with closing PSW, and it is closed? Only 6% were for closing it... Why was there a consultation, then?

Goodbye UK, for most, I guess... with only Tier 2, and 99.9% companies unwilling to sponsor, also having only few months to fidn a sponsor, it is goodbye UK.

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm

my logic is, if the UK doesn't welcome graduates to stay .. then there's no reason to force it. Plenty of other places that would welcome skilled & educated people. Leave the UK to take care of its own people first (as rightly expected!)

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm

ginger_beer wrote:my logic is, if the UK doesn't welcome graduates to stay .. then there's no reason to force it. Plenty of other places that would welcome skilled & educated people. Leave the UK to take care of its own people first (as rightly expected!)
The message they give is: Come but we'll treat you like shit, and please leave as soon as possible...

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 pm

ginger_beer wrote:my logic is, if the UK doesn't welcome graduates to stay .. then there's no reason to force it. Plenty of other places that would welcome skilled & educated people. Leave the UK to take care of its own people first (as rightly expected!)
I agree, but some lucky ones won't lose much... with PSW still up, it will be possible to switch to Tier 2 if needed after some time, so it still works.

For new students, I would advise to stay away from UK until smth changes.

ginger, the problem is that students were led here to give their money, in expectation they can get psw etc. and in midts of their studies, this is cancelled. This is the problem.

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm

tusso wrote:
The message they give is: Come but we'll treat you like shit, and please leave as soon as possible...
yeah .. exactly. International students are not stupid (hopefully!) not to receive this message. As mentioned in earlier posts, enrollment will likely drop. The question is just whether the drop is significant enough to make a u-turn in the policy possible

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
tusso wrote:
yeah .. exactly. International students are not stupid (hopefully!) not to receive this message. As mentioned in earlier posts, enrollment will likely drop. The question is just whether the drop is significant enough to make a u-turn in the policy possible
I don't think there will be a turn, until new govt comes... problem is, we can't get our money back, either, even though they can change rules arbitrarily anyday...

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm

i don't think there will be a U-turn too. I worried british will become conservatism and populism, and it will hard to touch by international peoples.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 pm

Unikid wrote:i don't think there will be a U-turn too. I worried british will become conservatism and populism, and it will hard to touch by international peoples.
Political populism, nothing else... 10, 20 thousand students aren't even a drop in the sea of immigration... and besides, PSW is not a permanent route unless you switch further.

Few lucky ones, including me, can still apply... others, well, who knows.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:37 pm

fibreman wrote: This is a joke, guys... almost 70% disagree with closing PSW, and it is closed? Only 6% were for closing it... Why was there a consultation, then?
This is the whole point; I can’t believe, how come not any law organisation or so-called migration right raised their voice? This is a perfect victory case against government. No wonder why Universities agree on that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12880840
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
fibreman wrote: This is a joke, guys... almost 70% disagree with closing PSW, and it is closed? Only 6% were for closing it... Why was there a consultation, then?
This is the whole point; I can’t believe, how come not any law organisation or so-called migration right raised their voice? This is a perfect victory case against government. No wonder why Universities agree on that:

As per Penningtons, if consultation results are not taken into account when makign a decision, we have a clear case in courts.

Here, it is obvious, we were ignored altogether.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:53 pm

fibreman wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

As per Penningtons, if consultation results are not taken into account when makign a decision, we have a clear case in courts.

Here, it is obvious, we were ignored altogether.
Yes, I agree with Penningtons analysis and I'm sure, if we can contact all the affected students, we can win in the court hands down. The problem is how to mobilise these affected students??

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:Yes, I agree with Penningtons analysis and I'm sure, if we can contact all the affected students, we can win in the court hands down. The problem is how to mobilise these affected students??
I contacted Pennington but haven’t got reply; I probably contact other law firms as well at some point. But seem it’s all over now. Feeling sad as we could win this case but apparently majority of students applying before April 2012 so no one care to protest at all.

But I would say today we protest tomorrow some one else like us will be safe.

As for a Government level I would say not even a third world Government can imagine to do such fraud at such level and in such stubborn way.
N/A

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 am

I have been following this post quite religiously as one of my close mates was himself worried about this. As a third person who is not affected by these changes at all I would like to add my 2 cents. I realise that the decision to stop PSW did come as a shock to most of you but again I reckon the HO has given 1 year as TA, they could have just closed this from 06 April 2011, but they didnt. Some of yopu might be finishing in May 2012 and would miss out on the PSW but thats always the case, some one will Miss out if not you then maybe somebody else.
I remember times going back about 11 years when it was absolutelty a nightmare to anyone non eu to get a work permit in the UK but still UK universities did attract thousands of students, Over time I for one feel that the HO has become a lot more lenient.

Guys if you go to court, I am sure it wont be a mammoth task for the HO to say they did provide a year in TA and they had to draw a line somewhere. If not 2012 then 2013 but it woul still have impacted some of you out there who would not have been happy about this.

Every country needs to look out for its own people first. I have seen loads of students misusing their right to work in the UK. I know of people who have got a PSW visa and are now working in John Lewis / Waitrose as CSA.....this job can be done by a Bristish / Eu citizen, and doesnt requrie a vis a national to saty back and do this job.

As much as you want to argue we all know how the immigration in UK has been abused over the last 5-6 years and it has created resentment against people, Hionestly when 2 in 10 UK graduates dont have a job why put the economy under pressure by giving out PSW visas to Visa Nationals.

I know you dont want to hear this but unfortunately this is the harsh truth.

Aslo guys - Please be aware the Universitites can promise you the heaven and the earth (in this case PSW) but legally they cant do anything if whitehall decides against this, so this argument is futile and i would have hoped some of you lads out there would have the good sense to realise that.
I wish you guys all the best but please start thinking with an open mind and be practical.....it will make things clearer to you.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 pm

bobobo wrote:I have been following this post quite religiously as one of my close mates was himself worried about this. As a third person who is not affected by these changes at all I would like to add my 2 cents. I realise that the decision to stop PSW did come as a shock to most of you but again I reckon the HO has given 1 year as TA, they could have just closed this from 06 April 2011, but they didnt. Some of yopu might be finishing in May 2012 and would miss out on the PSW but thats always the case, some one will Miss out if not you then maybe somebody else.
I remember times going back about 11 years when it was absolutelty a nightmare to anyone non eu to get a work permit in the UK but still UK universities did attract thousands of students, Over time I for one feel that the HO has become a lot more lenient.
Dude time has been change in 11 years, world is more fragile in last decade, and west has a big part as a player in it. International students want more than just degree. This is how it works now days. Besides Home office is lenient to shame marriages, over stayed peoples, asylum seeker, bogus students, bogus work permits, etc etc ….
bobobo wrote:Guys if you go to court, I am sure it wont be a mammoth task for the HO to say they did provide a year in TA and they had to draw a line somewhere. If not 2012 then 2013 but it woul still have impacted some of you out there who would not have been happy about this.
Our aim was to focus when a person has obtained his / her visa (with the understanding of PSW) not when they going to Graduate in 2012, 2013, there is not rocket science in it and will be fair for all.
bobobo wrote:Every country needs to look out for its own people first. I have seen loads of students misusing their right to work in the UK. I know of people who have got a PSW visa and are now working in John Lewis / Waitrose as CSA.....this job can be done by a Bristish / Eu citizen, and doesnt requrie a vis a national to saty back and do this job.
Unemployment in this country is not caused by us, PSW, so it’s not our headache, all we wanted to deliver those offers which presented to us abroad in seminars and study abroad education exhibitions. At that time no one said; ok, we will give you PSW only if our native unemployment will be zero %.
bobobo wrote:As much as you want to argue we all know how the immigration in UK has been abused over the last 5-6 years and it has created resentment against people, Hionestly when 2 in 10 UK graduates dont have a job why put the economy under pressure by giving out PSW visas to Visa Nationals.
Make a big broacher show it to all prospective students and let them decide should they come here or not.
It’s a same old story, though, immigration. I DON’T WANT TO IMMIGRATE HERE JUST MY PSW PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

bobobo wrote:I know you dont want to hear this but unfortunately this is the harsh truth.

Aslo guys - Please be aware the Universitites can promise you the heaven and the earth (in this case PSW) but legally they cant do anything if whitehall decides against this, so this argument is futile and i would have hoped some of you lads out there would have the good sense to realise that.
No university has offered heaven on earth, they just offer whatever the Government legal polices are, don’t spread misinformation here.
Beside I agree on one point and that’s my Spammy Spammer to all;
Stay away from this country, because this whole system is a con and it run by crooks.

The whole point is; what is wrong is wrong, no matter this whole country goes bankrupt or every single person become unemployed, still they have to deliver offers which they made before bringing foreign nationals into their soil. This is how decent and civilized nations do.
N/A

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 pm

The sad thing is that you dont understand a very simple thing which is that many promises were made by the Universities that you could work after finishing your studies. They made a promise as per the Immigration rules that existed then, If these change you are in no position to sue either. As the universities did not explicitly say that you would get a PSW even if the Immigration rukes were to change...You should have read the small print I guess.....

Again the HO has given a TA of 1 year, you cant demand waht you would want. They can easily go to court and say we have given 1 years TA and that should suffice, They dont need to give TA to students who have been in the UK for 3years doing their undergrad.

Where did you get this idea....do you read the news....
Besides Home office is lenient to shame marriages, over stayed peoples, asylum seeker, bogus students, bogus work permits, etc etc ….
Offer exists until stock lasts and they can change the rules shenever they want, you cant fight them for changing the rules:
Unemployment in this country is not caused by us, PSW, so it’s not our headache, all we wanted to deliver those offers which presented to us abroad in seminars and study abroad education exhibitions. At that time no one said; ok, we will give you PSW only if our native unemployment will be zero %.
the term Heaven and Earth is a term used to denote the "So Called Promise" to put a point accross, I am not misleading anyone...

Pardon my french but thats a childish statement to make when people are trying to have an intellectual conversation.
The whole point is; what is wrong is wrong, no matter this whole country goes bankrupt or every single person become unemployed, still they have to deliver offers which they made before bringing foreign nationals into their soil. This is how decent and civilized nations do.
Take it or Leave it but the changes are proposed for a reason and I know it might be hard to swallow this and you might feel cheated but at the end you need to abide by the Law of the Land.