ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application sent by post but debit card stolen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

minal_zunke
Newly Registered

ILR application sent by post but debit card stolen

Post by minal_zunke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi all, I have sent an ILR application by post on 30th March, same day service. On the payments form, I used the debit card to keep it simple.

Last night on 2nd April, I went out to get some money using the same debit card and becasue of power cut the ATM machine kept the card. I phoned the ATM machine bank but they said I can't get the card back. If I don't phone HSBC, the card will be active but the service engineer who puts the money in ATM, will get the card out and send it to cancellation Team. I do not know when UKBA HO will debit the payment. Not sure whether I can write to UKBA HO or phone them to explain the situation.

Any suggestion!

Thanks, Minal

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:10 pm

ILR application sent by post but debit card stolen.
Your debit card is not "stolen", but retained by an ATM machine.

Options:
1. Contact HSBC contact center, inform them of the facts and instruct them to advise their "cancellation team" not to cancel the card as you are expecting a payment request.
2. If above doesn't work, contact UKBA to enquire how and where you can send application fees payment form with new instructions / payment.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

minal_zunke
Newly Registered

Post by minal_zunke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi there,

I phoned HSBC and advised them not to cancel the card but they said the card is destryoed by the ATM Machine holder (i.e in this case RBS) on the next working day without contacting the card issuer for security reason. Once the card is destroyed, the payment will not go through.

I will still try the first option but if this doesn't work, would UKBA HO will reject my application? That is the question.

My Tier 1, is expiring on 24th May 2011 and I have already qualified for ILR after 5 yrs of continuous employment. There will be new rules in place on 6th hence applied before 6th April.

I have gone through the new rule changes. I still qualify but to be on the safe side I applied before 6th April. Any major chnage coming if I decide to withdraw application now and go for PEO premium service day visit.

Thanks, Minal

minal_zunke
Newly Registered

hi all

Post by minal_zunke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:57 pm

hi All,

ILR:
Just wondering, what HO usually does if there is an issue with the payments. In my case, ATM machine took the debit card, will they reject the application or contact the immigration lawyer I have used.

I have not received any confirmation from Immigration lawyer about the receipt of application by HO. When I contacted, he said HO usually deducts the money and then send the receival receipt. Sometime 2-3 weeks and now the rules are changing it cud potentially take more time.

Sod's law, ATM has to eat the card last night, never happened to me before or else I wud have send a cheque payment.

Any thoughts!!
Minal

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by slugmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm not sure if it will help in this case, but I read on the UKY forum that currently applicants that can't pay fee on the first instance have their application rejected. The new proposed guidelines will say that if an applicant's payment is rejected they must be contacted and given another opportunity to pay.

Not sure when this is supposed to happen, tho. I'll see if I can dig up the original post that I read.

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by slugmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Found it!
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=68131.0

Ding ding ding! Update!

One of the things that came out of this meeting had to do with applications getting refused because the applicant didn't have the funds to cover the fee.

The point was raised that an outright refusal because the applicant funds were not in the bank at the right time is disproportionate.

So they will put into place a policy of attempting to contact the applicant about their bank account and give them a chance to pay BEFORE refusing.

We have had problems with this in UKY so I hope people are glad to see some progress. We'll have to keep an eye on the new policy...

minal_zunke
Newly Registered

Post by minal_zunke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for your info. I phoned UKBA HO and they told me someone should write to me and advice.

Ak17
Newly Registered

Post by Ak17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 am

slugmeister wrote:Found it!
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=68131.0

Ding ding ding! Update!

One of the things that came out of this meeting had to do with applications getting refused because the applicant didn't have the funds to cover the fee.

The point was raised that an outright refusal because the applicant funds were not in the bank at the right time is disproportionate.

So they will put into place a policy of attempting to contact the applicant about their bank account and give them a chance to pay BEFORE refusing.

We have had problems with this in UKY so I hope people are glad to see some progress. We'll have to keep an eye on the new policy...
I don't think that's actually in effect yet. When I applied for Tier 1, my credit card company rejected the transaction as potentially fraudulent and my application was returned to me as invalid. It does take several weeks to get the documents back though.