ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 Years Long Residence (Dependants)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mazhar-uk

10 Years Long Residence (Dependants)

Post by mazhar-uk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi All,

I have now completed my 10 years lawful residence, (visit, student, Tier 1 (Genral) and most recent one Tier 2 (General) from 14-02-2001 to 14-02-2011). My current visa for Tier 2(General) is valid upto 14-01-2014.

My wife and two sons (aged 10 and 11) who joined me as my dependants are living here for 8 years and have not qualified under this category and will have to apply as the dependants of a person present and settled in UK using FLR(M) form.

My questions are as follows:

1. My daughter was born in UK in 2005. Is she also not eligible for ILR yet?
2. Do I have to obtain my ILR first using SET(O) form and then submit FLR(M) for my dependants or to submit both the applications together?

Your help shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Mazhar

Do I have to to submit SET(O) and FLR(M) forms together?

joh118

Re: 10 Years Long Residence (Dependants)

Post by joh118 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

mazhar-uk wrote:Hi All,

I have now completed my 10 years lawful residence, (visit, student, Tier 1 (Genral) and most recent one Tier 2 (General) from 14-02-2001 to 14-02-2011). My current visa for Tier 2(General) is valid upto 14-01-2014.

My wife and two sons (aged 10 and 11) who joined me as my dependants are living here for 8 years and have not qualified under this category and will have to apply as the dependants of a person present and settled in UK using FLR(M) form.

2. Do I have to obtain my ILR first using SET(O) form and then submit FLR(M) for my dependants or to submit both the applications together?

Thanks and regards

Mazhar

1. once you get your ILR you can register your UK born daughter as a British Citizen. no need for the daughter to have ILR.
2. get your ILR first and then submit FLR(M)

Angelica

Post by Angelica » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 pm

I an NOT very sure of your time as a 'visitor'. Please read the guidance.

I think you should go ahead with applying on a 10 years and wife as a dependant of a person applying for settlement(seperate application). There was a form for something like that. While considering your application, they will do that with your wife's one.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Visitor possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

mazhar-uk wrote:2. Do I have to obtain my ILR first using SET(O) form and then submit FLR(M) for my dependants or to submit both the applications together?
When does your wife's current leave expire? In 2014, as yours? If so, then your wife may apply for extension of leave (FLR(M)) after you are granted settlement.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mazhar-uk

Post by mazhar-uk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Angelica wrote:I an NOT very sure of your time as a 'visitor'. Please read the guidance.

I think you should go ahead with applying on a 10 years and wife as a dependant of a person applying for settlement(seperate application). There was a form for something like that. While considering your application, they will do that with your wife's one.
As far as I know, time as a visitor does count towards 10 years long residence.

mazhar-uk

Post by mazhar-uk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
mazhar-uk wrote:2. Do I have to obtain my ILR first using SET(O) form and then submit FLR(M) for my dependants or to submit both the applications together?
When does your wife's current leave expire? In 2014, as yours? If so, then your wife may apply for extension of leave (FLR(M)) after you are granted settlement.

My wife's and my children's visa will also expire in 2014 which has recently been granted at Croydon office on 30th March, 2011 through in-person application.

thanks

mazhar-uk

Post by mazhar-uk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:28 pm

joh118 wrote:
mazhar-uk wrote:Hi All,

Thanks and regards

Mazhar

1. once you get your ILR you can register your UK born daughter as a British Citizen. no need for the daughter to have ILR.
2. get your ILR first and then submit FLR(M)

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please further advise on the process to register a UK born child as a British citizen? What documents/forms to use etc.

thanks and regards

Mazhar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

HI mazhar first of all i would like to tell you that your stay in this country as a visitor doesnt include in the lawful residency it only means you have access to work ,NHS and NI if you are visiting in uk you do not consider yourself as a lawful resident you are here for a short term stay.so in general your previous stay on a visit visa would nt allow you to add in lawfully long residence.
as far as your dependents are concerned they wouldnt get ILR on the basics of long residency all you can do just get your ILR(without visit visa duration) then apply as a ILR dependents they would be able to get 2 years spouse visa after that as you have mentioned they are here from 8.5 years after 1.5 years on spouse visa they could apply for 10 years long residency in future but to be very honest if this law stays till next year coz in april a consultation is going to launch on all routes to ILR so might be they will close this route in future.
once again your visit visa duration would not include in 10 year lawfully residency.
your child wouldnt be able to register as a british citizen coz yyou n your wife don't have british passports or any one of you.
thanks
any other thing dont feel any hesitation to ask me

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 pm

khan2015 wrote:HI mazhar first of all i would like to tell you that your stay in this country as a visitor doesnt include in the lawful residency it only means you have access to work ,NHS and NI if you are visiting in uk you do not consider yourself as a lawful resident you are here for a short term stay.so in general your previous stay on a visit visa would nt allow you to add in lawfully long residence.
as far as your dependents are concerned they wouldnt get ILR on the basics of long residency all you can do just get your ILR(without visit visa duration) then apply as a ILR dependents they would be able to get 2 years spouse visa after that as you have mentioned they are here from 8.5 years after 1.5 years on spouse visa they could apply for 10 years long residency in future but to be very honest if this law stays till next year coz in april a consultation is going to launch on all routes to ILR so might be they will close this route in future.
once again your visit visa duration would not include in 10 year lawfully residency.
your child wouldnt be able to register as a british citizen coz yyou n your wife don't have british passports or any one of you.
thanks
The bits that I have highlighted above are the parts in your comment that I think is incorrect advice.

Time spent as a visitor is allowed. It is Lawful Residence.

If either parent of a UK born child has ILR, the child is eligible to Register as a British Citizen. All that is required of the parent is to have ILR. The parent does NOT need British Citizenship.

Would you like to show me where you found the bit in bold above, to be true?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 am

joh118 is correct.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mazhar-uk

Post by mazhar-uk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:21 pm

khan2015 wrote:HI mazhar first of all i would like to tell you that your stay in this country as a visitor doesnt include in the lawful residency it only means you have access to work ,NHS and NI if you are visiting in uk you do not consider yourself as a lawful resident you are here for a short term stay.so in general your previous stay on a visit visa would nt allow you to add in lawfully long residence.
thanks

Dear Mr. Khan,

Thank you very much for your advise. But I still believe that my stay as a visitor was lawful and it will be considered by UKBA while assessing my application under 10 years long residence rule.

I have included a link for your information, which clearly state that a visitor condition is considered as a lawful status.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... ming-35828

Thanks and regards

Mazhar

mazhar-uk

Post by mazhar-uk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm

joh118 wrote:
thanks
The bits that I have highlighted above are the parts in your comment that I think is incorrect advice.

Time spent as a visitor is allowed. It is Lawful Residence.

If either parent of a UK born child has ILR, the child is eligible to Register as a British Citizen. All that is required of the parent is to have ILR. The parent does NOT need British Citizenship.

Would you like to show me where you found the bit in bold above, to be true?

Thanks Joh 118. I fully agree as I have now gone through with all these rules.

regards

Mazhar