ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU-1 application when EU spouse is self-employed question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

b91911
Newly Registered

EU-1 application when EU spouse is self-employed question

Post by b91911 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 am

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around the board for a few days and would like to ask a question to which i could not find answers.

My husband (US citizen) and myself (french citizen) are currently living in the US. We plan to move to Ireland early next year for various reasons.

I am currently self-employed, and plan to be a sole trader (or forming a company, i will let an accountant decide what is best) upon moving to Ireland. However, i noticed that along with my husband's application for residency, as the self-employed EU spouse, i am required to present along with other documents 6 months of business bank statements.

So my question is : should i arrive in Ireland and start doing the procedures (forming a company, getting a business account, getting registered with tax authorities, etc) months before my husband even comes with me here? Or will it be ok if i can only provide 1-2 months worth of bank statements to INIS, if we come to Ireland at the same time ?

We have money saved in the bank, and will have healthcare covered for us before arrival, so i was thinking the alternative option would be to file his application as "Residing with sufficient resources" to satisfy the exercise of EU Treaty Rights, but i figured starting self-employment procedures (i am a freelance webmaster, so finding jobs upon arrival won't be an issue as i can keep working from Ireland for the companies to whom i currently provide services) might simplify the process, and show the immigration services that we do not come to Ireland to be a burden on its society.

Thank you for any help you can provide, and sorry about the long wall of text.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:01 am

If yous have sufficient funds and full health care cover (which will cover you in Ireland) that means you are fulfilling the self sufficient clause and qualify on that basis. You can keep on working here for your overseas clients but you will be invoicing them from Ireland and paying revenue commissioners the tax on your earnings etc that will qualify you as a self-employed EU citizen, i suggest form a limited company than trade as a sole trader, just for future expansions etc.

b91911
Newly Registered

Post by b91911 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm

fatty patty wrote:If yous have sufficient funds and full health care cover (which will cover you in Ireland) that means you are fulfilling the self sufficient clause and qualify on that basis. .
Thank you for your input Patty, I guess the inexistence of a publicly set amount to qualify as "self-sufficient" threw me off. Not sure if we need to have enough to be self-sufficient for the 6 months we'll be waiting during his application, for a year, more? I wish there was a clear answer to that, unless there is one and i am not aware of it.

I will follow your advice regarding the limited company, and thanks for taking the time to answer.