ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Second HSMP extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

baskey

Second HSMP extension

Post by baskey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Dear All,

Due to recent changes in ILR eligibility period from 4 yrs to 5 yrs, some of us need to apply for 2nd HSMP extension to bridge the gap. My question is, when we apply for 2nd extension, we will get only 1 yrs visa or we will be given another 4 yrs of extension (similar to 1st extension nowadays).

I am little concerned about getting 1 year visa because during that period we can't really make any job changes, apply for mortgages etc. due to short visa.

Did anyone apply for 2nd extension recently,can share the opinion. I have written an email to Home office to clarify this point but No reply so far.

Regards,

Baskey

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:27 am

I am of the opinion that a further extension for 4 years will be given.

It is not compulsory for HSMP visa holders to apply for ILR at all and they can keep applying for HSMP extensions (currently given for 4 years) for as long as required i.e. apply for an extension every 4 years.

You can apply for ILR once you have completed 5 years on HSMP.

baskey

Post by baskey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am

Hi All,

I got the reply from Home office that they issue only 1 year of extension. Their reply is as below.

Dear xxxxxxxx,

thank you for your recent enquiry.

When you apply for the second extension you will only be granted 1 year as this will give you enough time (5 years) so you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Hope this is helpful?

Kind regards
xxxxx xxxxxxxxx
Customer Service Advisor

Customer Contact Centre
Work Permits (UK)
Home Office
PO Box 3468
Sheffield
S3 8WA

It is quite difficult to manage job changes or mortgage during that time. I am not sure why can't they issue another 4 years of extension when basically visa fee is same.

Regards ,

Baskaran

AdiPsych
Newly Registered

Post by AdiPsych » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:57 am

Hi Because of the new changes to immigration rules for doctors in training my employer was insisting that I need to go on a Work Permit.
This was inspite of being on my 3 year extension which was valid till 17/01/2009 as a Highly Skilled Migrant.
But my contract is till 7/02/2011 so my employer felt that as I do not have Leave to Remain to cover the entire period of the contract I should be on a work permit and they also knew that HSMP extensions are for a maximum of 4 years.
Hence I kept asking LTR Team if they would consider an early application for extension.
LTR Team sent my query to Policy. After 2 months they sent me an email asking me to reapply and I did on the FLR(IED) and paid £335.
I got my passports back with extension and Leave to Remain as a Highly Skilled Migrant till 2011... for 5 years...
Its very unusual and its because of my unusual circumstances and a highly skilled job as a doctor...
But persistence politeness and requests do pay off....

PASS

Post by PASS » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:53 am

This has been discussed before,

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Whilst applying for long 2nd ext. keep in mind that HO has the right to consider your application for ILR ONLY you are nearer to further extension. Means, you will not be in a position to apply for ILR 30 days before end of your current leave.

Is anyone knows better about this issues?

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 am

I strongly believe that the advice you have been given re a 1 year extension is wrong. As far as I am aware they will grant for a further 3 years. You might want to give them a ring or even ring the FLR team to get clarification on this.
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baskey

Post by baskey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:52 am

WoodieG wrote:I strongly believe that the advice you have been given re a 1 year extension is wrong. As far as I am aware they will grant for a further 3 years. You might want to give them a ring or even ring the FLR team to get clarification on this.
Yes we all only can believe but there is no law to point out to issue another 3 years of extension. I am not at all happy with 1 yr extension considering my job situation. Even now with another 1yr and 10month of visa employers are reluctanct to consider my application irrespective of last 2 years of working here.

Do anybody successfully got 3 yrs of second extension.

Regards,

Baskey

rckybhardwaj

Post by rckybhardwaj » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi Baskey,
I think if we shall be 5 years here we can apply for ILR and then there shoul not be any problem. We should only try not to change our jobs till we get the ILR, or when we r near the extension for one year and then apply for ILR we shud not change a job. Coz its difficult sometimes to tell the employer about visa changes and all.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:25 pm

I rang them today to clarify this, the second extension will be for 3 years. It won't be for 4 years as this is a concession outside the immigration rules.
________
Payment Protection Insurance Forum
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baskey

Post by baskey » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:29 am

WoodieG wrote:I rang them today to clarify this, the second extension will be for 3 years. It won't be for 4 years as this is a concession outside the immigration rules.
I think ,among the Home office staffs itself there is no clarity. probably when more and more applicants apply for 2nd extension there will be a uniformity , i believe :roll: .

Regards,

Baskey

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:37 am

I take your point but I would think the staff that are already processing 2nd extension applications are a fairly reliable source of info on this one.

Whereas the '1 year' answer came from someone in their call centre.
________
Extreme Vaporizer
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I get Wooedies point. As far as I know there is not any in the guidelines or anywhere else have stated that you will get 1, 2 or 3 years for the second extension (please correct me if I am wrong). This case is still new.

Thus, someone who are probably in the call centre working for home office and not sure (because there is no guidelines about it), the best answer is the answer that will carry minimum risk. By saying 1 year, the applicant will not mind if he get extension for 3 years, but not the opposite.

I did not see any point why they can not give 3 years for the one who are already 4 years with HSMP.

-I agree, it will make the applicant difficult to change the job, take morgage.
-Also 5 years rule for ILR is the "minimum" requirement. Thus, it is better if the applicant apply after that (say 6 years), etc.

But we will not know before someone has gone into procedure. Please infomr the forum and we will learn from your case.

Pantaiema

WoodieG wrote:I take your point but I would think the staff that are already processing 2nd extension applications are a fairly reliable source of info on this one.

Whereas the '1 year' answer came from someone in their call centre.