ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit vs naturalization (EU nationals)

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

robertw
Newly Registered

Child Benefit vs naturalization (EU nationals)

Post by robertw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 am

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding claims for Child Benefit and Tax Credits (basic Family element).

Does claiming these benefits affect naturalization applications, if the people who are applying for naturalization are EU citizens exercising Treaty rights in the UK (i.e. working)?

I must admit that the whole issue of "access to public funds" is a grey area to me! I.e. EU citizens have the same rights as UK citizens in terms of access to these benefits, but at the same time EU citizens are "not expected to be burden on public funds" - these two contradict each other!

Does anyone have any more info on this, in particular some examples of succesful or failed Naturalization applications where someone was claiming these benefits?

Many thanks

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 pm

I haven’ seen any references in the guide or booklet or on the form itself regarding benefits/public funds.

I know or rather my friend, who has naturalized about 10 years ago, said that back then it affected application.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Child Benefit vs naturalization (EU nationals)

Post by Greenie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

robertw wrote:Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding claims for Child Benefit and Tax Credits (basic Family element).

Does claiming these benefits affect naturalization applications, if the people who are applying for naturalization are EU citizens exercising Treaty rights in the UK (i.e. working)?

I must admit that the whole issue of "access to public funds" is a grey area to me! I.e. EU citizens have the same rights as UK citizens in terms of access to these benefits, but at the same time EU citizens are "not expected to be burden on public funds" - these two contradict each other!

Does anyone have any more info on this, in particular some examples of succesful or failed Naturalization applications where someone was claiming these benefits?

Many thanks
EU nationals who are not working must not become an 'unreasonable' burden on public funds. If you are working and wanting to apply for child benefit and CTC etc you are not an 'unreasonable' burden on public funds. You are entitled to and should claim any benefits that you qualify for and it will have no bearing on your application for citizenship.

boloney

Re: Child Benefit vs naturalization (EU nationals)

Post by boloney » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Greenie wrote:
robertw wrote:Hi All,

Many thanks
EU nationals who are not working must not become an 'unreasonable' burden on public funds. If you are working and wanting to apply for child benefit and CTC etc you are not an 'unreasonable' burden on public funds. You are entitled to and should claim any benefits that you qualify for and it will have no bearing on your application for citizenship.
what about housing benefit, council housing?
i have permanent residence so i`m fine, but my wife don`t. will that affect her in any way?
we both Polish