ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit and effect on ILR application

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

indiansummer
Newly Registered

Post by indiansummer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi

I'm new to this forum and I have the following question.

I'm claiming child benefit for my son currently without realizing that it might have an effect on my ILR application. I'm now trying to apply for my ILR and don't know what to put under the section "Are you claiming benefits"? as I've read that it might have a negative impact on my ILR application and later on for British citizenship. Obviously, had I known this earlier, I would not have applied for child benefits at all in the first place. Now, I'm confused and worried. Any help on this is appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

nksg

Re: Child benefit and effect on ILR application

Post by nksg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 pm

This is a straight forward rejection.. "Your visa should state NO RECOUSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS" and child benefits is a public fund.

The best option is to contact the DWP office and try returning the amount claimed over the time. Take a NOC letter and then apply for ILR. Dont forget to mention this on the cover letter stating this was done in ignorance (apologize) and now all has been rectified...

indiansummer wrote:Hi

I'm claiming child benefit for my son currently without realizing that it might have an effect on my ILR application. I'm now trying to apply for my ILR and don't know what to put under the section "Are you claiming benefits"? as I've read that it might have a negative impact on my ILR application and later on for British citizenship. Obviously, had I known this earlier, I would not have applied for child benefits at all in the first place. Now, I'm confused and worried. Any help on this is appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

indiansummer
Newly Registered

Post by indiansummer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 pm

sorry what is this NOC that you mentioned that I should get in writing?

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Already replied to your PM.
indiansummer wrote:sorry what is this NOC that you mentioned that I should get in writing?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm

I aint picking on someone in particular, but it appears that most people get benefits which they know they are not entitled to, and only when they realise that actually UKBA can check what benefit they have received, they try to repair things.

Murat
Newly Registered

Post by Murat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 am

I think child benefit does not have any effect on ILR because as the name implies it is your child receives the benefit not you. Also being subject to immigration control doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get child benefit because if UK has social services agreement with your original country that means you can claim for the child benefit but not working tax credit. I know people who were in the same situation and received ILR.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 pm

Murat wrote:I think child benefit does not have any effect on ILR because as the name implies it is your child receives the benefit not you.
This is WRONG! Immigration rules clearly state that you must be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.
Murat wrote:Also being subject to immigration control doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get child benefit because if UK has social services agreement with your original country that means you can claim for the child benefit but not working tax credit. I know people who were in the same situation and received ILR.
Indeed, but this is quite a different story to do with exceptions from the general scheme.

jamil05

Post by jamil05 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Murat wrote:I think child benefit does not have any effect on ILR because as the name implies it is your child receives the benefit not you. Also being subject to immigration control doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get child benefit because if UK has social services agreement with your original country that means you can claim for the child benefit but not working tax credit. I know people who were in the same situation and received ILR.
Im not sure if the above is factual. Child benefit is public funds. so if you dont have authority to access public funds and you went ahead and claim

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:44 pm

On this forum, i have seen some posts where Visas were rejected because of child benefit claims while on T1 or T2 visas...

P.S i am not disputing your claim and

It is interesting to know if some one got through.. In the interest of others on the forums can you please share the "success stories" in detail?
Murat wrote:I think child benefit does not have any effect on ILR because as the name implies it is your child receives the benefit not you. Also being subject to immigration control doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get child benefit because if UK has social services agreement with your original country that means you can claim for the child benefit but not working tax credit. I know people who were in the same situation and received ILR.

meha

Post by meha » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm

It would be worth checking this link:
'No recourse to public funds' what does it mean at:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... cfunds.pdf

It also contains countries that U.K. has social security agreements with, which means some people from certain cuntries can safely claim certain benefits.

But outside this, no one should claim. There is great potential for refusal.

nikki9920
Newly Registered

Post by nikki9920 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

indiansummer wrote:Hi

Hi there,

Have you try to return child benefits? beside that do you recall how do you answer the question on child benefits form i.e. are you subject to immigration control? yes/no

Regards,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 pm

indiansummer, I am not going to make any assumptions! What is the nationality of you and your spouse? Also, as regards both of you, did either of you work in another country apart from that of your nationality, prior to coming to the UK? If yes, details please.
John

nikki9920
Newly Registered

Post by nikki9920 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 pm

nksg wrote:Already replied to your PM.
indiansummer wrote:sorry what is this NOC that you mentioned that I should get in writing?
Hello nksg,

Would it be possible that you could share noc or format of noc with me?

Regards,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:43 pm

sorry what is this NOC that you mentioned that I should get in writing?
Already replied to your PM.
nksg, can you tell the rest of us what NOC means?
John

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:58 pm

No Objection Certificate
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Who is expected to write such a certificate?
John

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 am

Another query related to benefits. does council tax rebate of 25% for single occupancy is treated as benefit? This different to council tax benefit which is treated as a benefit. can you pls help in clarification. Thanks
John wrote:Who is expected to write such a certificate?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 am

does council tax rebate of 25% for single occupancy is treated as benefit?
I think you are asking slightly the wrong question. That is, what you really want to know is whether the "25% for single occupancy" discount is within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules.

The answer is clear .... no!
John

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply John. I'm relieved as I had claimed 25% council tax rebate in the past...Thanks..
John wrote:
does council tax rebate of 25% for single occupancy is treated as benefit?
I think you are asking slightly the wrong question. That is, what you really want to know is whether the "25% for single occupancy" discount is within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules.

The answer is clear .... no!