ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in Belfast

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kay27
Australia

Working in Belfast

Post by Kay27 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 am

Hi there,

I'm an Australian living in Ireland and am this year eligible for permission to stay in Ireland WCATT. (8 consecutive work permits).

I lost my job in December and am not working at the moment.

I own my own home in Ireland and am fairly certain i will have to rent it out and move for a job. I live in a smallish city.

A position that sounds perfect has come in Belfast. Does anyone know what the story with working in NI is? Do I need to be sponsored? I am afraid if I get the job and was to then lose it/made redundant that I would have to leave Ireland.

Any advice appreciated.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Belfast is in another country so that country's immigration laws apply. The route would probably be Tier 2 General of the UK's Points Based System so you could read up about that on the UK Border Agency website. Unless your job is at least graduate level, ie only graduates can do that job, you do not stand a chance.

If you are 30 or younger you could try Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme. If you have one or more British grandparents you could look into UK Ancestry visa.

You must apply for all these before you go to NI and before you start work in Belfast.

If you have any more questions about these routes please post them in the UK sections of the board.

If can get Irish citizenship then you could move freely of course.

Kay27
Australia

Post by Kay27 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:02 pm

thank you,

Unfortunately I presumed that was the case.

So much damn red tape. I am almost able to get the permission to stay without condition to time, so it would be utter madness to take a job in UK and forego that. I am worried, if I got sponsored in the job in Belfast and then was made redundant at a later stage I would not be able to come back to the Republic.

Such a mess.... so few jobs going in what I do and this job (there are numerous positions) would be perfect.