ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dutch passport almost expired...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sacha001
Newly Registered

dutch passport almost expired...

Post by sacha001 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi everyone

I came last octobre 2010 to the UK with a Dutch passport. My husband who lives in Pakistan applied for the family permit. Im working now in Uk for more then three months. My passport is valid till december 2011 so what can I do to get a British passport?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 pm

If you have only lived in the UK for just over six months I cannot see how you would be entitled to a British passport unless you are already a British citizen. Go to the Dutch embassy to renew your passport.

sacha001
Newly Registered

Post by sacha001 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

PaperPusher wrote:If you have only lived in the UK for just over six months I cannot see how you would be entitled to a British passport unless you are already a British citizen. Go to the Dutch embassy to renew your passport.
Can I already apply for the residence permit or do I have to wait 5 years?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm

What sort of residence permit do you mean? Do you have one already and if so, how long have you had it?

sacha001
Newly Registered

Post by sacha001 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

PaperPusher wrote:What sort of residence permit do you mean? Do you have one already and if so, how long have you had it?
The one which gives me the right to stay in Uk even after my dutch passport expires. I got all the information i Needed:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6974085_renew ... sport.html

Im going to renew my pasport and wait 5 years to get the british pasport.

thank you.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:03 pm

See Residence documents for European citizens

The earliest you may become eligible for permanent residence in UK will perhaps be in October 2015 and the earliest you may become eligible for a British passport will perhaps be in October 2016.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Why on earth would you want to change your Dutch passport for a British one? It's an expensive and lenghty procedure without hardly any benefit. As a Dutch citizen you have no restrictions on living and working in the UK at all. Renewing your passport every five years at the Dutch embassy or consulate is straightforward: see http://www.dutchembassyuk.org/consular/index.php?i=582

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

sacha001 wrote:
PaperPusher wrote:What sort of residence permit do you mean? Do you have one already and if so, how long have you had it?
The one which gives me the right to stay in Uk even after my dutch passport expires. I got all the information i Needed:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6974085_renew ... sport.html

Im going to renew my pasport and wait 5 years to get the british pasport.

thank you.
Why do you want British Citizenship? Like other have mentioned, you have every right to live here as a Dutch citizen. Just renew your passport at the embassy. Also, if you choose to take up British Citizenship, you will be required to renounce you Dutch Citizenship. Dutch law doesn't allow you to have dual nationality. There are a few exceptions, but it doesn't sound like you were qualify (only to take up the nationality of your spouse or if you were born or spent most of your childhood in that country). Also, your spouse can apply for Dutch citizenship even if you reside abroad, once you've been married for at least 3 years, but a language and citizenship test must be passed.