ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

F1 No Work Permit working off the books?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newmac
Newly Registered

F1 No Work Permit working off the books?

Post by newmac » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:11 am

1) I am on a F1 Visa and did OPT for 1 year. (Was permitted to work legally for 1 year)

2) Now my 1 year work permit has expired

3) The only information I provided my boss with was my SSN (No other form of documentation was submitted to him)

4) He recently mailed me a completed 1099 Misc form with the total amount of money paid to me. Also on this form the "Federal income tax withheld", "Medical and health care payments", "State tax withheld" and some other fields were empty

5) I want to continue working for this company as they give me the option to work from home plus this job helps with my college tuition expenses.

Now my question is:

If I continue working for this company (without a work permit) is there a way for immigration to find this out?

***I was told by a friend that I am being paid off the books and being that I did not submit any formal documentation there is no record that I am/was working for this company. Is this true?

Please advise.

Thanks

anderson24
Newly Registered

Better ask the employer for Work Visa

Post by anderson24 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 am

Does you OPT still valid? If you can obtain US Work Permit from the company its more secure for legally staying in US rather then getting into any trouble. Better ask the employer for Work Visa.

jrge

Post by jrge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 am

Be careful...!

1) You weren't paid off the books, instead you were given a 1099 (Independent contractor ) and therefore you have a tax bill. Contact a tax preparer to solve this matter.

2) If you work permit has expired, read this: http://twe.ly/4vib

Good luck.!
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012