ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 year long residency

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

radlea
Newly Registered

14 year long residency

Post by radlea » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

Could somebody please:
1. Advise if the granting of an ILR after 14 year residence (legal & illegal) is still a concession or a rule.

2. Recommend/suggest any law firms which handle the application for an ILR on such basis.

3. Has anybody ever been granted ILR after 14 years ?

4. What sort of documentation is required to support such an application ?

Thanks ever so much

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:10 pm

I believe it's now a "rule".

This thread attempted to find a good solicitor for this type of application.

radlea
Newly Registered

Post by radlea » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply.
Did you finally manage to find a lawyer willing to take your case on ?

I am still waiting for a couple of sollicitors to call me back. If I do not get any joy from these guys, I think I'll go down the DIY route.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Regs

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:25 am

OL7MAX wrote:I believe it's now a "rule".
...but should be borne in mind that the IND is under no obligation to grant an approval. Depends on many circumstances.

radlea
Newly Registered

Post by radlea » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:41 am

Jeff,

What does 'a rule' mean in this instance ?

Quoting the Collins dictionary : "An authoritative regulation or direction concerning method or procedure, as for a court of law,legislative body,game or other activity"

I would hazard a guess here and go so far as saying that if all the "conditions" are met then the IND could be obliged to grant an ILR.

I have yet to find out what the "conditions" are.

As the Home office is currently undertaking a review of the "illegals" situation, is it wise to apply for an ILR at this stage rather than waitng for the outcome of the review ?

Thanks

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Did you finally manage to find a lawyer willing to take your case on ?
I think I have.

I went through all the listings at ILPA, deleted the barristers, deleted those who didn't say they do cases like these, and emailed the remaining handful. The replies were quite varied and gave me an idea of who takes a template reply approach and who bothered to actually read my email. The replies allowed for further filtering. I spoke with each of the remaining and got a feel for what they may or may not be able to do for me.

After the initial screening I believe that it's very much a matter of speaking/corresponding with each one. The key though is to be very, very prepared. Read all there is to read here, on the IND site, and on other online resources.

It's difficult to judge the quality of replies to questions like: "Can I get ILR after living here for 14 years?" However, a more specific question like, "Have you ever had a deportation order revoked/rescinded?" may elicit a response that tells you whether they're experienced in doing what you need.

But my entire approach may be flawed and something completely different could work well for you! :)