ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married in india

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Amrit4386

Getting married in india

Post by Amrit4386 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,
I'm getting married in october in india to a india citizen. I am a british citizen. I have a couple of questions if people could help me.

1: After the wedding how long will it take my wife to get the marriage visa?
2: Is there any way of me getting a marriage certificate couple of months before the wedding to speed up the process?

Basically i would like my wife to come back with me after the wedding rather than her having to come by herself. Whats the best and fastest way of getting the marriage visa?

All help is appreciated
Thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm

1: After the wedding how long will it take my wife to get the marriage visa?
Its a spouse visa and it takes upto 5-7 working days after you submit your application+necessary documents, if your case is straight forward. If the visa granting officer senses something which is not right, then both of you could be called for an interview and the process will take longer
2: Is there any way of me getting a marriage certificate couple of months before the wedding to speed up the process?
No. You will find that this part will take longer than the visa processing :roll:

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 pm

cheers krazydude, so you think i'm better off applying for the visa after the marriage ceremony, i will only be in india for 15-20 days after the wedding, is this ample time for her to get the spouse visa?
What kind of documentation will i have to take with me when i get married?
Thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Amrit4386 wrote:cheers krazydude, so you think i'm better off applying for the visa after the marriage ceremony, i will only be in india for 15-20 days after the wedding, is this ample time for her to get the spouse visa?
What kind of documentation will i have to take with me when i get married?
Thanks
@bold - You can't apply before your marriage because you will not have a marriage certificate (and the fact that you would not be married - the basis on which you seek a spouse/settlement visa)

Link to the document check-list is given below. The quicker you get them together (here in the UK and then in India - as the case may be), the quicker you apply for the visa.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... settlement

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks alot for your help Krazydude, one last question
Can i not got to india and do a court marriage to obtain a marriage certificate. Then when i get the certificate i can apply for the visa before the wedding. Is that possible?
Thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Amrit4386 wrote:Thanks alot for your help Krazydude, one last question
Can i not got to india and do a court marriage to obtain a marriage certificate. Then when i get the certificate i can apply for the visa before the wedding. Is that possible?
Thanks
You can do a court (or civil) marriage first and get the marriage certificate and then go for a religious ceremony afterwards (if you want). It's legal. If your would-be spouse is in India, tell her (or her parents) that you wish to do so. It might help if you get a lawyer who will do the necessary paperwork as there are some notices that need to be given and legal documentation that need to be completed, which you would not be familiar with even if you are a solicitor/lawyer in the UK.

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Do any of my parents need to be in india for my court marriage? My grandfather lives in india and i have loads of family members there too apart from my mum and dad who live in the uk but are divorced.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Amrit4386 wrote:Do any of my parents need to be in india for my court marriage? My grandfather lives in india and i have loads of family members there too apart from my mum and dad who live in the uk but are divorced.

Your parents do not need to be present at the court marriage.

You will need witnesses though (at the court registrar office), but they should not be related to you or your to-be wife (so make sure you round up some of your/her friends).

Usually if the girl's parents are with her at the registrar's office, there are not many questions asked, because sometimes lawyers,registrars and officials think that there might be some sort of problem (family,elopment or otherwise) and hence the girl's parents are not present. This might lead to delays in the process and you might have to pay more unnecessarily. Hence if the girl's parents are present, its better.

All the best

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for all your help Krazydude, really appreciate it, good to do the research before hand as it's not as easy to get answers in india where one person tells you one thing and another something else.

Cheers again :D

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 pm

May I ask, in which Indian state do you intend to marry (civil marriage)?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Punjab, Ludhiana

Amrit4386

Post by Amrit4386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Sushdmehta, is everything krazydude told me correct? Do you have any comments on the situation?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I have no reason to believe that the suggestions offered are incorrect.

The following should also help:[quote]Parties who do not wish to marry in a religious ceremony can instead opt for a civil ceremony pursuant to the Indian Special Marriage Act of 1954.

In case a marriage between an Indian and a foreign national is to take place in India, generally its required to file a notice of intended marriage with a Marriage Registrar of your choice in India. That notice is required to be published for the stipulated 30 days. At the end of the 30 days the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.

The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India, if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.

If one partner is residing in a foreign country then the partner who is resident in India will have to fill out the “Marriage Noticeâ€
Life isn't fair, but you can be!